Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fly Killer

Hey,

I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take to
ensure the safety of the occupants?

Thanks,
DJBJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djbj wrote:
Hey,

I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take
to ensure the safety of the occupants?

Thanks,
DJBJ

Why go to a lot of expense? make a wooden frame of 1"x 1/2" and the exact
inner dimensions of the open window so that it fits snug into the inner
frame of the open window,cover it(pin)with fine mesh curtain fabric.

You can take it down when summers over.

Job done air circulating and no fly's,wasp,midges,kangaroos,moths. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:31:13 -0700, djbj wrote:

Hey,

I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take to
ensure the safety of the occupants?

Thanks,
DJBJ

On the experience of the large obe we have at work I would not bother.
Flies just seem zoom past sticking their fingers up at it!!!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That should be large one, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

djbj wrote:
I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice.

I bought two of them. Completely useless. They have absolutely no
effect at all on house-flies and blue-bottles and the like. The
commercial ones might be better, but I doubt it.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul 2006 19:31:13 -0700, "djbj" wrote:

|Hey,
|
|I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
|such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
|been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
|and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
|these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
|long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
|and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take to
|ensure the safety of the occupants?

The dangers of UV are much exaggerated in the media. A reasonable amount
of UV is very good for you. In the West Riding we have ATM an outbreak of
rickets
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2014.htm

Rickets appeared in epidemic form in temperate zones when the factories of
the Industrial Revolution produced so much smoke that ultraviolet rays were
blocked. Rickets was probably the first childhood disease caused by
environmental pollution. At that point in history, the deficiency of
sunlight could be said to have caused the rickets epidemic in industrial
areas.

caused by Asian women keeping their daughters out of the sun, so that they
do not create Vitamin D. Going out in sunshine, which has much more UV
than a fly killer, without getting sunburned, is good for you.

Only sunbathing, and sunbeds which expose one to high doses of UV are
dangerous.

The best protection against any radiation is the Inverse Square Law
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...orces/isq.html
look up this URL it is important, and a good explanation.

The UV Fly killers are and should be mounted high on a wall so the dose
received by people is small because of the inverse square law.

Get a commercial fly killer supplied for small food shops, IME the small
ones are useless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Downing" wrote in message
djbj wrote:
I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice.

I bought two of them. Completely useless. They have absolutely no effect
at all on house-flies and blue-bottles and the like. The commercial ones
might be better, but I doubt it.

Regulations required me to have one when we were running a clean room. To
avoid the problem of body bits falling, which happens with the high voltage
ones, it had translucent sticky film over the lamps, which automatically
rolled on every 12 hours - a high tech fly paper. Once, when a rat died
under the factory, we had a plague of flies and it proved to be very
effective, but only over a relatively small area - up to about a couple of
metres away.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djbj" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey,

I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take to
ensure the safety of the occupants?

Common house flies are not attracted to the lamps.
You have to bait them to get them into the killer.
Without bait they are useless for flies.

Many of the commercial ones come with a bait board or film that you change
every so often so you could cut up a refill and use that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djbj" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey,

I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take to
ensure the safety of the occupants?

Thanks,
DJBJ

We have a little battery powered one for our caravan, where the windows are
almost always open.

It's excellent for mosquitoes, midges, even crane flies, but I've never seen
a house fly in it. Mind you, we don't get house flies in the caravan.

I suggest a fly paper would be an effective, if unsightly, solution to your
problem.

We don't bother, they all end up dead on the windowsill anyway, along with
other insects I don't see and take outdoors.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

It's excellent for mosquitoes, midges, even crane flies, but I've never seen
a house fly in it. Mind you, we don't get house flies in the caravan.

Only caravan flies I would guess.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

It's excellent for mosquitoes, midges, even crane flies, but I've never
seen
a house fly in it. Mind you, we don't get house flies in the caravan.

Only caravan flies I would guess.

There's no such thing :-)

We often stay in places where there are small flies associated with cattle,
they don't come in the caravan either.

Mary

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djbj wrote:
Hey,

I'm having to leave my window open (For the air conditioner) and as
such loads of small flys/moths come in attracted by the light. I have
been looking into some fly killer devices (the ones with the UV light
and electric grill) but just want some advice. I'm not sure how safe
these devices are to use in the home, as afaik UV light is harmful for
long periods, and i'll be in the room for long periods. If I go ahead
and buy one of these devices what safety precaucations should I take to
ensure the safety of the occupants?

Thanks,
DJBJ

having the window open while running ac doesnt sound like a very good
combination! Rather than trap flies I'd sort the problem out properly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is the window open for the outlet hose of the a/c ? mine came with a long
foam strip with a cutout that matches the hose end, you cut the strip to the
length of the opening and then trap it in the window with the hose sticking
through, flies can't get in but the heat from the hose can get out AND not
get blown back in again..........

--
Pete Cross

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

It's excellent for mosquitoes, midges, even crane flies, but I've never
seen
a house fly in it. Mind you, we don't get house flies in the caravan.

Only caravan flies I would guess.

There's no such thing :-)

Well that's a surprise!

We often stay in places where there are small flies associated with cattle,
they don't come in the caravan either.

We often get the "large flies associated with horses", especially during
last few days.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher"
saying something like:

Horse flies

Ah's seen a house fly...
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher"
saying something like:

Horse flies

Ah's seen a house fly...

But Ah's never seen an elephant fly ...

Oh they don't make 'em like they used to ...

Mary