Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chicom Pellet rifle rear sight needed

I was browsing through a local second hand store, and found a Chinese
(one assumes) break barrel .177 pellet gun. Interesting one...looks
a lot like a RWS 350, but without the checkering. Decent monte carlo
stock, full sized length of pull. Safety is inside the trigger guard
Strong! spring and a very loud Crack! when fired without a pellet,
moved much dirt on the floor. In very good shape. Surprisingly
comfortable to pull to shoulder and get a stock weld. Much different
than prior Chicom air guns Ive handled

Missing the rear sight.

Anyone know where to find one? Ive kinda sorta browsed the net
without finding a parts source.

Yah...I could make one from scratch...I AM a chip maker of dubious
talents..but would rather spend my time shooting it.

Anyone put a scope on their break barrel and pull the rear sight?

Interesting second hand store, lots of old tools, anvils,
blacksmithing, farming etc etc stuff.

He bought out a sword/knife dealer...lots of Chinese/fantasy/Barbarian
swords etc

I was rooting around in his backroom (we are well aquainted) and
stumbled across what I think is a Paul Chen katana. Exceptionally
well made compared to most fo the Chinese junk wall hanger swords, in
its own cardboard tube and silk sword case, with
sharpening/maintaining kit....except for that slight bend in the blade
about 18" from the tip....which I pointed out to him. Looks to be hand
forged, but not laminated, decent enough hamon but back of blade not
well executed. (Ill try to straighten it between dowel pegs this
weekend...if it breaks it was garbage anyways...shrug might make a
decent wakazasi.

So we agreed on $25 for both the sword and pellet rifle..but I
digress...

Any ideas about a rear sight?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message

Any ideas about a rear sight?

Is it a regular dovetail rear sight? Maybe a gunsmith will have one just
laying around that he took off a gun to make room for a scope mount.

Brownells?

If you break the sword make a sight out of a piece of it.

Don't know about a scope, but an aimpoint or a laser sight might be fun.

If you try a scope get one made for airguns. The unique jump of a spring
piston gun supposedly does bad things to a conventional rifle scope.
Something to do with how the reticule reset after a shot.

Might be a good idea to check in alt.sport.air-guns and see what those guys
say.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:52:06 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

Any ideas about a rear sight?

Is it a regular dovetail rear sight? Maybe a gunsmith will have one just
laying around that he took off a gun to make room for a scope mount.

Nope..flat based

Brownells?

If you break the sword make a sight out of a piece of it.

Hummmm!

Don't know about a scope, but an aimpoint or a laser sight might be fun.

Problem with those...pellet guns tend to have the trajectory of a pig
jumping over a picket fence..so aming range tends to be short for a
lazer..though there is hold over.

If you try a scope get one made for airguns. The unique jump of a spring
piston gun supposedly does bad things to a conventional rifle scope.
Something to do with how the reticule reset after a shot.

Might be a good idea to check in alt.sport.air-guns and see what those guys
say.

Thanks!!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have you tried these guys?

Beeman Precision Airguns
5454 Argosy Drive
Huntington Beach, California 92649
714/890-4800 or 800/227-2744 (Orders Only)
FAX 714/890-4808
http://www.beeman.com/

I have a Beeman R7 which I outfitted with a cheap 4x15 scope off
a 22 rifle. No problems with the scope for a few thousand shots
and counting.
It's sighted for about 30 feet and I can consistently hit aspirins
at that range. Dozens of gophers in my front yard have given their
eyes to my pellets when they stuck their damn heads up out of
the holes.
Art

"Gunner" wrote

Any ideas about a rear sight?
Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
I was browsing through a local second hand store, and found a Chinese
(one assumes) break barrel .177 pellet gun. Interesting one...looks
a lot like a RWS 350, but without the checkering. Decent monte carlo
stock, full sized length of pull. Safety is inside the trigger guard
Strong! spring and a very loud Crack! when fired without a pellet,
moved much dirt on the floor. In very good shape. Surprisingly
comfortable to pull to shoulder and get a stock weld. Much different
than prior Chicom air guns Ive handled

Got Chinese markings? Not seen very many without, and they were the
REALLY nasty ones, very obviously low end.
Don't fire it without a pellet. Plays hell with the seal, in some
cases, and with the front of the piston, in others. Universally a bad
thing to do to anything that you want to last.

ANY markings?

Without any markings at all, you could have just about anything, and
may well have something gloatable. :-)

Missing the rear sight.

Bryan and Assosciates, Mac1 Airguns, Beemans. Fun Supply Airguns,
Airguns of Arizona, etc. All should be able to set you up with something
that'll work. Parts for the Chicom stuff are pretty cheap, but you
likely have something that will work, in your gun junk.
Since none of those sort of parts is "universal", yer gonna have to do
a little work, unless you can find a model number and go from there.

Anyone know where to find one? Ive kinda sorta browsed the net
without finding a parts source.

DAGS for Chambers Gunmakers. In the UK. Scots I think. They have a
selection of exploded drawings that may help ID the rifle in question.
Pictures are good!

Yah...I could make one from scratch...I AM a chip maker of dubious
talents..but would rather spend my time shooting it.

Anyone put a scope on their break barrel and pull the rear sight?

Yep. Get one rated for airguns, then you have a higher chance of it
lasting for a while. The harsher recoiling springers are harder on a
scope than those that are smoother, but they are all hard on scopes. The
forces are ass backwards to rifle recoil and it plays hell with the
adjustment mechanism inside the scope, as well as putting a walloping on
the crosshair "wires".

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote in
:

Nope..flat based

Flat on top only or flat on top and both sides?

Many airguns, today, are flat on top with a dovetail groove on each side to
take an airgun-style clamp-on scope/aimpoint/laser sight. (The dovetail
runs the length of the receiver instead of perpendicular to the receiver.)

A short stop at a Wal-Mart will give you an idea of how these things attach
since they carry both airguns and airgun scopes/mounts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:45:00 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/

I've bought this sight to use on CZ 452 .22cal.-
http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-a-2003.html

For a $30.00 sight it is nicely made (aluminum) and works quite well
as a cheap alternative to a scope.

There's plenty of other sights on there as well. You find something ya
like.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 00:57:17 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Gunner wrote in
:

Nope..flat based

Flat on top only or flat on top and both sides?

Many airguns, today, are flat on top with a dovetail groove on each side to
take an airgun-style clamp-on scope/aimpoint/laser sight. (The dovetail
runs the length of the receiver instead of perpendicular to the receiver.)

A short stop at a Wal-Mart will give you an idea of how these things attach
since they carry both airguns and airgun scopes/mounts.

Flat on top of the barrel. Im not a big fan of putting a optical
sight on top of something not firmly attached to the tube the
projectile comes out of.

Break action spring guns come to mind as one of the major cases.

That barrel gets even a bit wobbly, doesnt lock up to the receiver
each and every time the same way...that optical sight is worthless

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:45:45 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Ill be checking this weekend. The weekend I got it I simply stuck it
in a corner and went out and sighted in the 39 Marlin that I got some
months ago and had installed a Lyman peep sight on.

Shoots as well as I remembered they did. VBG!!!

[...]

Ayup...I blew the crosshairs on a Feinwerkbau rifle..er the crosshairs
on a Nikon 4x, brand new one at that, before someone told me about the
reverse recoil. Nikon gave me a new one and told me it wasnt rated for
air rifle use. It now lives on my 375 H&H and has many hundreds of
rounds fired.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Im pretty sure the receiver isnt grooved, though making a dovetail
would be easy. Thanks for the link!
That sight would be wonderful on a Ruger 10-22!!

Saved!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Ill be checking this weekend. The weekend I got it I simply stuck it
in a corner and went out and sighted in the 39 Marlin that I got some
months ago and had installed a Lyman peep sight on.

Shoots as well as I remembered they did. VBG!!!

Did you get one of the ones with the micro-groove rifling, or did you
get one of the good ones from before that came along? :-)

I spent a lot of time packing an early Marlin 39 around the hills of
my home area!

Long barrel, peep sight on that one, too.

Too bad it was lost in a fire.

Once you have some idea of the markings, you will be able to sort out
your needs pretty quick.
IIRC the rear sight on most of the Chinese airguns is more a sheet
metal bending job, than a machine shop job. Whacking a dovetail on so it
will take a ghost ring type rear peep or a peep for a 22 would be pretty
easy, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 01:19:38 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

Flat on top of the barrel. Im not a big fan of putting a optical
sight on top of something not firmly attached to the tube the
projectile comes out of.

Break action spring guns come to mind as one of the major cases.

That barrel gets even a bit wobbly, doesnt lock up to the receiver
each and every time the same way...that optical sight is worthless

That certainly sound reasonable. However, that's how the scope is
mounted on my RWS. I wouldn't say that rifle gets "heavy use", but it
has dispatched quite a few garden rabbits over the years. Still
shoots right where I aim it, out to 150 ft or so anyway. Rifle go
pop, rabbit faw down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote in
:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 00:57:17 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Gunner wrote in
m:

Nope..flat based

Flat on top only or flat on top and both sides?

Many airguns, today, are flat on top with a dovetail groove on each
side to take an airgun-style clamp-on scope/aimpoint/laser sight. (The
dovetail runs the length of the receiver instead of perpendicular to
the receiver.)

A short stop at a Wal-Mart will give you an idea of how these things
attach since they carry both airguns and airgun scopes/mounts.

Flat on top of the barrel. Im not a big fan of putting a optical
sight on top of something not firmly attached to the tube the
projectile comes out of.

Break action spring guns come to mind as one of the major cases.

That barrel gets even a bit wobbly, doesnt lock up to the receiver
each and every time the same way...that optical sight is worthless

And, yet, that's the normal attachment: the receiver instead of the
barrel.

That's why the grooving is on the receiver.

By using a standard mount, an airgun scope/aimpoint is easily mounted and
zeroed.

However, you might want to fabricate clamp-style mounts for a long-eye-
relief (pistol) scope by bending 4 strips of metal so that the spacing is
uniform, the bends match the OD of the scope barrel and the rifle barrel,
and use a machine screw/wingnut combination in the middle.

That'd be the simplest way to get a mount that would meet your stated
requirement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote in news:_OZ1k.1311$Gn.572
@edtnps92:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

He may have minor difficulties with the pot metal that's often used for
their receivers...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:31:22 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Ill be checking this weekend. The weekend I got it I simply stuck it
in a corner and went out and sighted in the 39 Marlin that I got some
months ago and had installed a Lyman peep sight on.

Shoots as well as I remembered they did. VBG!!!

Did you get one of the ones with the micro-groove rifling, or did you
get one of the good ones from before that came along? :-)

Microgroove, which for 22s is marvelous. DIdnt work so well with my
1895 45-70 and cast bullets though. Even cast Hard

I spent a lot of time packing an early Marlin 39 around the hills of
my home area!

Long barrel, peep sight on that one, too.

Too bad it was lost in a fire.

Mine is the "Mounty" Irrc.

Once you have some idea of the markings, you will be able to sort out
your needs pretty quick.
IIRC the rear sight on most of the Chinese airguns is more a sheet
metal bending job, than a machine shop job. Whacking a dovetail on so it
will take a ghost ring type rear peep or a peep for a 22 would be pretty
easy, though.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 04:40:50 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Gunner wrote in
:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 00:57:17 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Gunner wrote in
:

[...]

Not a bad idea. Though Id machine a clamp mount rather than use sheet
metal

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote in
:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 04:40:50 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Gunner wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

You'll need to use a pistol-type long eye-relief scope if you go with a
barrel mount.

FWIW, on the site someone else supplied (an airgun sales site) they had a
clamp-on 3-track mount that may give you some ideas. grin

Of course, you might want to experiment with simply drilling and tapping
the flat on top of the barrel to enable use of standard Weaver or
Redfield bases. (You might have to grind/mill the basees' underside
flat.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RAM³ wrote:

He may have minor difficulties with the pot metal that's often used for
their receivers...

I've seen a lot of Chinese springer airguns, and I've never yet seen
one that was not made of plain old steel.

Some of the finish work was in a range between bad, and worse, but the
steel was still steel.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Ill be checking this weekend. The weekend I got it I simply stuck it
in a corner and went out and sighted in the 39 Marlin that I got some
months ago and had installed a Lyman peep sight on.

Shoots as well as I remembered they did. VBG!!!

Did you get one of the ones with the micro-groove rifling, or did you
get one of the good ones from before that came along? :-)

Microgroove, which for 22s is marvelous. DIdnt work so well with my
1895 45-70 and cast bullets though. Even cast Hard

I spent a lot of time packing an early Marlin 39 around the hills of
my home area!

Long barrel, peep sight on that one, too.

Too bad it was lost in a fire.

Mine is the "Mounty" Irrc.

Yeah. Micro groove os OK for the rimfires. :-)

The 39 Mountie models are pretty sweet. About the only thing I have
that genuinely amounts to a bad thing to say about the model 39 is that
you can make a mess of your trigger finger, catching it between the
lever and the tip of the trigger, if you get a little too enthused about
a fast follow up shot. That one hurt for a long time!

But I figure I put nearly my body weight in 22 shells though that old
Marlin that I was using (it was not mine, but my step fathers)and it
never missed a beat.

And accurate!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:

[...]

that's a good price on a decent sight.
I may have to order one.... just because.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

wrote:

[...]

My thoughts too. I'm ordering 2 if you leave any.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Ive got one of the Browning BLR-22s, little bity thing..light, fast as
hell, short stroke lever using a rack and pinion to operate the
action, I can get multiple hits on thrown aerial targets with it...but
it just doesnt feel as good as a 39

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Probably have to raise the front sight a bit. IRRC..a dime works
pretty well on Rugers, both the Standard pistol and the 10-22...

hummm...or was it a penny...?

Ill have to mic em this weekend.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Ive got one of the Browning BLR-22s, little bity thing..light, fast as
hell, short stroke lever using a rack and pinion to operate the
action, I can get multiple hits on thrown aerial targets with it...but
it just doesnt feel as good as a 39

Gunner

I shot one of those. A friends.

Slick little piece of work, but I was not a fan of the trigger. Too
much play in all the pieces, I figure. Not mine to fool around with, so
it stayed that way.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 21:14:14 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

RAM³ wrote:

He may have minor difficulties with the pot metal that's often used for
their receivers...

I've seen a lot of Chinese springer airguns, and I've never yet seen
one that was not made of plain old steel.

Some of the finish work was in a range between bad, and worse, but the
steel was still steel.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

This air rifle is made entirely of steel, with hardwood stock..grain
appears to be stained birch, or even a fine grained walnut or 9.

Finish of metal is decent enough, wood is ok, about equivalent to a
cheap .22 of US manufacture such as the Marlin 60

Stamped in the top of the (steel) receiver tube is "TFA" inside a
logo, with the words 'Sharpshooter" below it. Front sight (hooded) is
a course post

On the side of the barrel chamber is " Cal 4.5/.177" and "Made in
China"

some investigation shows that TFA appears to be one of the more
prolific chicom air rifle makers and appears to be distributed by
several US importers, such as

http://www.xisicousa.com

field testing....

I took it out to the back 40, and using Crossman .177 flat nosed
pellets, at a measured 30 feet, fired at a target of 3/4" MDF, using a
'shotgun' type of aiming, using the front post (coarse front post
inside of hood, top of which was approx 1" above bore centerline)

A serious attempt was made to keep the same stock weld each time.
shots were a verticle string, approx 6" below aiming spot.

Verticle stringing usually indicates loose stock screws, and yes, they
were. Tightening them brought the grouping to about a 1.25 circle

But still 6" low.

three holes in the rear sight location..so using the biggest
one..nearly a #10, I screwed in a 1" long 10-32 for an impromptu rear
sight and used it to align the front sight, top of the rear, top of
the front....squeeze

About 1.75 high and to the right about .75"

Ground the rear sight screw (!) down to about .75" above
centerline..and came pretty close to the aiming spot.

5 shots went into a .65"

not partrcularly good, but considering I was just lining up a pair of
posts..some indicator that the air rifle can shoot.

i was shooting into a piece of 3/4" MDF..and the pellets were lodged
right at surface level...the hollow bases right at flush.

I dug around for another container of pellets I remembered
having...Crossman 'copperhead' pointed pellets..with a moderate point
and much heavier.

they shot to point of aim....and buried themselves about .010 below
the surface of the mdf. Impact sounded harder and they knocked a bit
of dust off the board with every shot.

they shot thru a bit of well seasoned 3/4' pine board, with each shot.
the flat headed pellets not making it through, though going deep
enough to not be able to see the bases.

All and all..not as powerful as I expected, but not all that bad
either. One assumes that proper oiling and lubrication will help.

It did turn out to be about as accurate as I expected..with some
potential for more.

I just dropped an email to the Contact Us at the above distributors
service email addy with the info and Ill see what happens about
getting a new rear sight.

I could probably mill up a base for an old rifle sight, but would
rather do something more productive on the 3 days I have at home this
weekend.

there was also a bit of horizontal movement in the barrel/receiver
hinge, so tightened up the hinge screw..it made the movement much
smaller..but still not totally deflectionless. I may have to ream and
make a new shoulder bolt. shrug...its a chinese air rifle after
all.....

But putting scope on the reciever would be a lesson in
frustration..horizontal stringing would be a killer.

Gunner

Gunn er

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

..
at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that these were made to a price, and not a high one!

All the decent made pellet rifles I have had, have had a combination
of flat and spring shims at the breech joint. Usually one flat, and one
shaped like a bellville washer, but sometimes more than one flat shim.
These take up a lot of the side play. A sloppy fit on the pivot bolt
will account for a bunch, too.

Lubes. Synthetic oils! No natural oils in the compression tube! Causes
dieselling. Bad for the overall state of things, though it provides a
boost in power, noise, etc. Eventually, it will destroy the seals, and
possibly the receiver.
Some graphite lube in the spring area can raelly cut down on the
twanginess. DAGS "lube tune springer" and you should find a bit online.
A crown job can be a good thing on these, as they are somewhat rapidly
done, at the factory, on tooling that was not good for anything more
profitable...

Might be a good candidate for a cheapo Crosman red dot style sight,
just to muck about with...

Cheers
Trev

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex posted
in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:36:17 -0500:

wrote:

[...]

I search far and wide to find a decent sight that would work.
Most aperture sight cost a $100 at least. For $30 that is a damn good
deal.

--
K. A. Cannon
kcannon at insurgent dot org

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia.
-Charles Schultz

COOSN-266-06-02374
Hammer of Thor, April 2005
PIERRE SALINGER MEMORIAL HOOK, LINE & SINKER June 2007
Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle X 2
#9 People ruining UseNet lits.
#6 Top Assholes on the Net lits.
#5 Most hated Usenetizens of all time
#15 AUK psychos and felons lits