Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Chicom Pellet rifle rear sight needed

Gunner Asch wrote:

All and all..not as powerful as I expected, but not all that bad
either. One assumes that proper oiling and lubrication will help.

It did turn out to be about as accurate as I expected..with some
potential for more.

I just dropped an email to the Contact Us at the above distributors
service email addy with the info and Ill see what happens about
getting a new rear sight.

I could probably mill up a base for an old rifle sight, but would
rather do something more productive on the 3 days I have at home this
weekend.

there was also a bit of horizontal movement in the barrel/receiver
hinge, so tightened up the hinge screw..it made the movement much
smaller..but still not totally deflectionless. I may have to ream and
make a new shoulder bolt. shrug...its a chinese air rifle after
all.....

But putting scope on the reciever would be a lesson in
frustration..horizontal stringing would be a killer.

Keep in mind that these were made to a price, and not a high one!

All the decent made pellet rifles I have had, have had a combination
of flat and spring shims at the breech joint. Usually one flat, and one
shaped like a bellville washer, but sometimes more than one flat shim.
These take up a lot of the side play. A sloppy fit on the pivot bolt
will account for a bunch, too.

Lubes. Synthetic oils! No natural oils in the compression tube! Causes
dieselling. Bad for the overall state of things, though it provides a
boost in power, noise, etc. Eventually, it will destroy the seals, and
possibly the receiver.
Some graphite lube in the spring area can raelly cut down on the
twanginess. DAGS "lube tune springer" and you should find a bit online.
A crown job can be a good thing on these, as they are somewhat rapidly
done, at the factory, on tooling that was not good for anything more
profitable...

Might be a good candidate for a cheapo Crosman red dot style sight,
just to muck about with...

Cheers
Trev