Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.energy.homepower

Default Pellet Stove advise needed

Yup summer's here so I won't need this used Advantage II for several
months but I have a few questions:

Can I set the pedestal on a Hardboard pad..I can't imagine that area
getting much heat?

My current elect bill averages $150 per month winter, I'm told this
will keep going up with some places the bill has doubled. How much fuel
will I burn at it's lowest settings per day so I can estimate how much
to buy bulk?

I live in the NW,so there are a few pellet manufacterers but the best
price I've found seems to be close to $160 per ton plus delivery..can I
beat this price some-how.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.energy.homepower

You can literally do whatever you want for the installation of the
stove, but your insuror and maybe even the D.A. will be much happier if
you comply with local codes.

$160/ton is dirt-cheap for quality pellets. Prices around $250/ton are
common right now in the NE, so stop gloating. Best way to "beat the
price" is with insulation, sealing, lowered t-stat setting- cutting
waste. But you knew that already.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.energy.homepower
JoeSP

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yup summer's here so I won't need this used Advantage II for several
months but I have a few questions:

Can I set the pedestal on a Hardboard pad..I can't imagine that area
getting much heat?

My current elect bill averages $150 per month winter, I'm told this
will keep going up with some places the bill has doubled. How much fuel
will I burn at it's lowest settings per day so I can estimate how much
to buy bulk?

I live in the NW,so there are a few pellet manufacterers but the best
price I've found seems to be close to $160 per ton plus delivery..can I
beat this price some-how.

There can be a big difference in pellet quality. Lighter, yellow pellets are
the good kind, usually made from sawdust. The darker, greener pellets often
have bark and other waste products mixed in. They don't burn as well and
leave more ash.

Unless its a good, efficient pellet stove, venting combustion air from the
outside, it won't save you much over a conventional furnace.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.energy.homepower
mystro

Thanks for the tips concerning fuel quality..I have found a NW pellet
mill that will sell to me direct
at $100 per ton but I'll need to haul naturally but I'm not sure of
it's quality. It's looking much better since new mills are coming on
line.