Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Printing Small Decals

I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

--
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:
I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

I'm not sure what size you need, but Brady makes some decent labelling
systems. I use an IDxpert and there are outdoor grade cartridges for it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:04:39 -0500, "Up North"
wrote:

I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thought about screen printing them right on the metal?
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I
would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Thought about screen printing them right on the metal?
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

I have thought about it but have not really looked into it too much. Can
screen printing be done with paint compatible with automotive urethane
paint? I have been using epoxy primer and urethane base clear to finish most
of these pieces.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Up North wrote:
I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I
would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold
up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

I'm not sure what size you need, but Brady makes some decent labelling
systems. I use an IDxpert and there are outdoor grade cartridges for it.

The artwork I do is drawn in perspective and so is the lettering on the
decals. Can one import designs into this type of printer or is it strictly
straight line lettering.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:
I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Check out the Yahoo Groups for both the ALPS and ALPSDECAL groups.

groups.yahoo.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:46:45 -0500, "Up North"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You might look at the Rland Stika. That one is used by some RC
modelers.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Garner" wrote in message
Up North wrote:
I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but
I am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are
black lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear.
I would like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have
been topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they
hold up quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Check out the Yahoo Groups for both the ALPS and ALPSDECAL groups.

groups.yahoo.com

Thanks, I have subscribed. Now I have to do some reading.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:
I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Apparently, many sign houses are moving to "paint" printers, and
away from vinyl cutters. Also, earlier vinyl machines used sprocket
feed stock, but most (presumably) are now friction feed, so sprocket
feed stock is getting somewhat rare.

You may ask around the local sign firms - they may have something you
can re-use. I got mine from an IKEA store (via an employee) for 99
cents. Will (some day) wire a xylotex to the steppers - there is also
software compensation for drag-knife offset /overshoot - dont' forget this
/mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:
[...]

There are windows drivers for these printers now. I've never tried them
myself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If the solvent in the paint isn't too aggressive (so it dissolves the
stencil) and it cleans up with solvent, it will be easy. Maybe a vinyl
based ink. It's best if the solvent used in the marking paint won't
severely attack your base paint, then you can clean off any misprints
without damaging the underlying paint.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Millwright Decals and Stickers Ron Woodworking 0 December 22nd 07 01:48 AM
Decals RW Parker Woodworking 5 March 15th 07 04:59 AM
DECALS J T Woodworking 5 May 17th 06 08:48 PM
Decals Norvin (remove SPAM) Woodworking 7 May 25th 05 02:58 PM
Poly Decals Stewart Schooley Woodworking 5 December 24th 04 02:45 PM