Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark F Mark F is offline

Default OT Printing Small Decals

Up North wrote:
I am looking for a way to print and cut vinyl decals for some metal art
pieces I make. I have been looking at the discontinued Alps printers but I
am unsure I want to purchase an unsupported product. The decals are black
lettering on a white background and some black lettering on clear. I would
like the decals to withstand sun exposure to some extent. I have been
topcoating the decals I use presently with urethane clear and they hold up
quite well. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Apparently, many sign houses are moving to "paint" printers, and
away from vinyl cutters. Also, earlier vinyl machines used sprocket
feed stock, but most (presumably) are now friction feed, so sprocket
feed stock is getting somewhat rare.

You may ask around the local sign firms - they may have something you
can re-use. I got mine from an IKEA store (via an employee) for 99
cents. Will (some day) wire a xylotex to the steppers - there is also
software compensation for drag-knife offset /overshoot - dont' forget this
/mark