Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strange Bedfellows

"Cliff" wrote in message

"GOP pressures Barr not to run"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...407827992/1002
" ... Republicans have been trying to persuade him not to run for
president on
the Libertarian Party ticket, but none has given him a convincing reason."
The king of smarm IIRC.

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race. I strongly urge
every red-blooded conservative to vote for Barr, the only honest choice you
can make.

A vote for Barr is a vote for a better America, and I say that with absolute
conviction. d8-)

(Larry, here's your chance...)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry Goldwater.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Kunkel" wrote in message
. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry
Goldwater.

You mean, like his stand favoring the right to abortion, or the one
supporting gays in the military? ("Everyone knows that gays have served
honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar.")

I dunno, John, but it doesn't sound much like a conservative. Maybe you have
them mixed up with liberals?

--
Ed Huntress

"Every good Christian ought to kick [Jerry] Falwell right in the ass." --
Barry Goldwater

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 2:30 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

No, the mistake is in believing issues like that *define* a true
conservative.

A true conservative believes in less gov't intrusion into every-day
lives, and such a critter has not been seen for quite awhile.

There's a lot of brainwashing to be undone.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Well, you have an opportunity here, Dave. You can define what a true
conservative is. I'd put on a flak jacket, though, because the other
conservatives trying to define what a conservative is are not going to like
it, no matter what you say. And you'll all be right...and wrong.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, almost as bloody as nominating a
Democratic presidential candidate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You mean, like his stand favoring the right to abortion, or the one
supporting gays in the military?

That sounds like like misinformation. I always figured him for a sane
Libertarian.

Wes

--

Sure hope Ed doesn't think I'm angry today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You mean, like his stand favoring the right to abortion, or the one
supporting gays in the military?

That sounds like like misinformation. I always figured him for a sane
Libertarian.

It's not. Check it out. Those were his words.

He *was* a libertarian, and in his later years, he was about as libertarian
as one could get. That is to say, he was nothing much like most people who
call themselves libertarians, who are really more like paleoconservatives
who talk one thing while practicing another.

Sure hope Ed doesn't think I'm angry today.

We'll see what else you have to say. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

It's not. Check it out. Those were his words.

He *was* a libertarian, and in his later years, he was about as libertarian
as one could get. That is to say, he was nothing much like most people who
call themselves libertarians, who are really more like paleoconservatives
who talk one thing while practicing another.

Sure hope Ed doesn't think I'm angry today.

We'll see what else you have to say. d8-)

Well, I'll do my due diligence in time for the election. I voted
Libertarian in the Michigan Primary so my mind is a bit more open that in
most years.

If Bob looks viable, the media, Chris Wallace and Tim Russert in particular,
will ask the interesting questions. Election '08 may be interesting.

I've always considered the Republican party as a mix of Libertarian and
Democrat lite.

It is getting late for me. 4:30am comes too early so have a great night.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:25:26 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Cliff" wrote in message
.. .

"GOP pressures Barr not to run"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...407827992/1002
" ... Republicans have been trying to persuade him not to run for
president on
the Libertarian Party ticket, but none has given him a convincing reason."
The king of smarm IIRC.

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race. I strongly urge
every red-blooded conservative to vote for Barr, the only honest choice you
can make.

A vote for Barr is a vote for a better America, and I say that with absolute
conviction. d8-)

(Larry, here's your chance...)

--snip--
Mr. Barr, a former federal prosecutor, was a conservative Republican
before he became a Libertarian in 2006.

"In 1992, Ross Perot took rather obscure issues like government
spending and national debt and made them clear for the public," Mr.
Verney said. "Sixteen years later, the public inherently knows the
country is headed in the wrong direction, something has to be done,
and can't be done through Republicans and Democrats."
--snip--

He's abso****inglutely right, too. Of course, the phrase "headed in
the wrong direction" is just a bit downplayed, with an extra $3T in
dept during Shrubby's "reign" alone.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:42:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

You mean, like his stand favoring the right to abortion, or the one
supporting gays in the military?

That sounds like like misinformation. I always figured him for a sane
Libertarian.

Sounds sane to me. I don't have a problem with either stance.

Life is a choice by a loving mother for her fetus, while abortion is a
choice by the mother and an unwanted slug inside her. Not a problem.

Sexual orientation is also a personal matter. Gays and lesbians (at
least the ones I've met) don't ever harass or come-on to straights.

In any case, neither of the policies should be -on- the platforms of
political parties. Neither is the govt's business, period.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

You too, Wes. And due diligence is a good thing.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:25:26 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Cliff" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:33:23 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

Considering that Republicans are voting for Hillary in the primaries,
if I were Barr I'd be soliciting campaign funds from Democrats by
pointing out how much more bang for the buck they'll get by donating
to him rather than Obama.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

Considering that Republicans are voting for Hillary in the primaries,
if I were Barr I'd be soliciting campaign funds from Democrats by
pointing out how much more bang for the buck they'll get by donating
to him rather than Obama.

--
Ned Simmons

That's a good idea! An analysis I saw today said that a 5% vote for Barr
would absolutely cinch it for Obama. That can't be too expensive to achieve,
eh?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 11:02:01 -0700, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry Goldwater.

Point them out for us, if you please.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
I've always considered the Republican party as a mix of Libertarian and
Democrat lite.
Wes

That sounds like a good description and lately they seem to be getting
more of the latter. :-(
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 10:25 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

A vote for Barr is a vote for a better America, and I say that with absolute
conviction. d8-)

(Larry, here's your chance...)

--
Ed Huntress

If I recall correctly Ed, you said that a vote for a third party
candidate was a wasted vote about a year ago.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On May 12, 10:25 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

A vote for Barr is a vote for a better America, and I say that with
absolute
conviction. d8-)

(Larry, here's your chance...)

--
Ed Huntress

If I recall correctly Ed, you said that a vote for a third party
candidate was a wasted vote about a year ago.

Dan

Absolutely right. It's a wasted vote for conservatives -- and a vote for
Obama.

Fortunately for the U, S, of A, the people who would vote Libertarian don't
seem to care. They'd rather stroke their inner ideologue than do something
that would actually be closer to furthering their cause. For them it's
either pure perfection, or they're taking their ball and going home. The
real political process is too icky and messy for them to get involved.
They'd rather stay out of it and contemplate their pure thoughts.

So much the better for the country. This is not a time for ideologues.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:33:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

He's abso****inglutely right, too. Of course, the phrase "headed in
the wrong direction" is just a bit downplayed, with an extra $3T in
dept during Shrubby's "reign" alone.

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

Aw, that's only because you want BamBam to win.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:38:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

wrote:

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

Considering that Republicans are voting for Hillary in the primaries,
if I were Barr I'd be soliciting campaign funds from Democrats by
pointing out how much more bang for the buck they'll get by donating
to him rather than Obama.

--
Ned Simmons

That's a good idea! An analysis I saw today said that a 5% vote for Barr
would absolutely cinch it for Obama. That can't be too expensive to achieve,
eh?

I'd love to see either Barr or Paul as McCain's VP choice. Think
either one would do it? Gotta start sending emails today...

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

Considering that Republicans are voting for Hillary in the primaries,
if I were Barr I'd be soliciting campaign funds from Democrats by
pointing out how much more bang for the buck they'll get by donating
to him rather than Obama.

--
Ned Simmons

That's a good idea! An analysis I saw today said that a 5% vote for Barr
would absolutely cinch it for Obama. That can't be too expensive to
achieve,
eh?

I'd love to see either Barr or Paul as McCain's VP choice. Think
either one would do it? Gotta start sending emails today...

I think either one should be happy to do so. But for McCain, he'd be better
off if he took a pistol and blew both his kneecaps off right now, to get it
over with.. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And I really, truly hope you get out the vote for Bob Barr...

Considering that Republicans are voting for Hillary in the primaries,
if I were Barr I'd be soliciting campaign funds from Democrats by
pointing out how much more bang for the buck they'll get by donating
to him rather than Obama.

--
Ned Simmons

That's a good idea! An analysis I saw today said that a 5% vote for Barr
would absolutely cinch it for Obama. That can't be too expensive to achieve,
eh?

I'd love to see either Barr or Paul as McCain's VP choice. Think
either one would do it? Gotta start sending emails today...

Barr...as Paul is a bit more of a wackjob and is old.
If McCain doesnt live out his term, Id prefer Barr over Paul as
president.

Gunner

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John Kunkel" wrote in message
. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry
Goldwater.

You mean, like his stand favoring the right to abortion, or the one
supporting gays in the military? ("Everyone knows that gays have served
honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar.")

Are you saying Barr favors the right to an abortion? Hardly.
He recently changed his stance on gays in the military but remains opposed
to gay marriage.

I dunno, John, but it doesn't sound much like a conservative. Maybe you
have them mixed up with liberals?

Or maybe your definition of a Conservative is actually that of a Neocon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Kunkel" wrote in message
. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John Kunkel" wrote in message
. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry
Goldwater.

You mean, like his stand favoring the right to abortion, or the one
supporting gays in the military? ("Everyone knows that gays have served
honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar.")

Are you saying Barr favors the right to an abortion? Hardly.
He recently changed his stance on gays in the military but remains opposed
to gay marriage.

No, I was talking about Goldwater.

I dunno, John, but it doesn't sound much like a conservative. Maybe you
have them mixed up with liberals?

Or maybe your definition of a Conservative is actually that of a Neocon.

Nope. You've got 26 flavors, but the big sellers are Neocon, Paleo, and
Libertarian with crushed nuts.

They don't make real conservatives anymore. The new flavors don't even know
who Edmund Burke was, fer chrissake.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry
Goldwater.

Point them out for us, if you please.

Gunner

Well, a couple would be abortion and religion in politics, Goldwater stated
that neither has a place in politics while Barr has opposed abortion rights
and tried to impose his religious beliefs by legislation.

Goldwater on those issues:

a.. "I am a conservative Republican, but I believe in democracy and the
separation of church and state. The conservative movement is founded on the
simple tenet that people have the right to live life as they please as long
as they don't hurt anyone else in the process." (in a 1994 Washington Post
essay)

a.. "The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others,"

a.. "I don't have any respect for the Religious Right."

a.. "Every good Christian should line up and kick Jerry Falwell's ass."

a.. "A woman has a right to an abortion."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

I dunno, John, but it doesn't sound much like a conservative. Maybe you
have them mixed up with liberals?

Or maybe your definition of a Conservative is actually that of a Neocon.

Nope. You've got 26 flavors, but the big sellers are Neocon, Paleo, and
Libertarian with crushed nuts.

They don't make real conservatives anymore. The new flavors don't even
know who Edmund Burke was, fer chrissake.

--
Ed Huntress

This seems to put libertarian on the liberal-conservative axis.
Libertarian is part of a separate axis, libertarian-authoritarian. Most of
the candidates of the Libertarian Party are libertarian right, mostly
concerned with conservative issues but not trusting in Big Guvment.

We libertarian lefties rarely present candidates because we're a RCH away
from anarchy... well, maybe anarcho-syndicalism.

David

I really wasn't thinking of axes, but since you mention it, yes, that's a
fair point. The Libertarian with Crushed Nuts is the one who thinks of
himself as a conservative but who takes a position that really is liberal
until he can't stand it anymore. He's opposed to government intrusion upon
the rights of individuals until he finds it too emotionally painful to carry
on. Abortion and gay rights in the military are telling issues, which is why
I quoted Barry Goldwater on those. That's a little too libertarian for most
self-styled libertarians.

But there are a few who go that far. Aside from the big/small government
issue, they're liberals in every other way. I think of the conservative
libertarians, on the other hand, as anarcho-capitalists with crushed nuts
and a bad hangover.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:24:27 -0700, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry
Goldwater.

Point them out for us, if you please.

Gunner

Well, a couple would be abortion and religion in politics, Goldwater
stated
that neither has a place in politics while Barr has opposed abortion
rights
and tried to impose his religious beliefs by legislation.

Cites?

http://www.votesmart.org/voting_cate...p?can_id=22028

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 May 2008 12:44:17 -0700, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Barr announced his candidacy this morning.

A Libertarian and the only true conservative in the race.

Nope, just another run-of-the-mill Neocon. Compare his stance on major
issues to those of a real "true Conservative" like the late Barry
Goldwater.

Point them out for us, if you please.

Gunner

Well, a couple would be abortion and religion in politics, Goldwater
stated
that neither has a place in politics while Barr has opposed abortion
rights
and tried to impose his religious beliefs by legislation.

Cites?

http://www.votesmart.org/voting_cate...p?can_id=22028

And Im looking for what again? Please be specific.

Gunner