Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/8" or smaller drill bits

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"P.J.Leon" wrote in message
I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18"
long or longer,anybody knows a supplier? thanx

http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_110.pdf

Google aircraft drills for more choices

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Advantage Drill Bits will either have what you want or make it for you.

http://advantage-drillbits.com/

Roger

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

P.J.Leon wrote:

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Just curious, but how fast do you plan on spinning it? That is going to be
very whippy. You planning on some sort of intermediate guide bushings?

Google critical speed. Going to be even worse since you are pushing on it
in order to drill.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes explained :
P.J.Leon wrote:

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Just curious, but how fast do you plan on spinning it? That is going to be
very whippy. You planning on some sort of intermediate guide bushings?

Google critical speed. Going to be even worse since you are pushing on it
in order to drill.

Wes

I want to use these bits for reference drilling.Some times I have to
run
telco and network wiring between floors.I have 1/4"x18" wood bits but
they leave a good size hole on the floor.As you see,wood is the
material
that I have to drill thru.I found a place that sells drill blanks that
are even smaller than 1/8.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 07:48:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
P.J.Leon quickly quoth:

Wes explained :
P.J.Leon wrote:

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Just curious, but how fast do you plan on spinning it? That is going to be
very whippy. You planning on some sort of intermediate guide bushings?

Google critical speed. Going to be even worse since you are pushing on it
in order to drill.

Wes

I want to use these bits for reference drilling.Some times I have to
run
telco and network wiring between floors.I have 1/4"x18" wood bits but
they leave a good size hole on the floor.As you see,wood is the
material
that I have to drill thru.I found a place that sells drill blanks that
are even smaller than 1/8.

In that case, try HF. I use these larger ones most often:

and just bought a set of these on sale @ $4:

I see they also have these 2 other sets:

I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.
--Troy P, usenet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1/8" is a good compromise between size of hole to patch and a drill that
is stiff enough to be able to just drill the hole without supporting the
center.

P.J.Leon wrote:
Wes explained :
P.J.Leon wrote:

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Just curious, but how fast do you plan on spinning it? That is going
to be
very whippy. You planning on some sort of intermediate guide bushings?

Google critical speed. Going to be even worse since you are pushing
on it
in order to drill.

Wes

I want to use these bits for reference drilling.Some times I have to run
telco and network wiring between floors.I have 1/4"x18" wood bits but
they leave a good size hole on the floor.As you see,wood is the material
that I have to drill thru.I found a place that sells drill blanks that
are even smaller than 1/8.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about just brazing the bit you want onto a long enough shank? Low
temp silver solder may even work for that. It's only wood, so even if
you do temper the bit while brazing, so what.

I have had success in lathe-welding drill bits to shanks. albeit
bigger than your 1/8" requirement.
Lathe set at top speed
New shank material sticking out of chuck/collet a little bit
Drill bit chucked backwards in tailstock chuck
Shank end of drill bit supported by steady rest, close to new shank
sticking out of headstock chuck.
--Turn on lathe, force drill bit's shank into new long shank with
tailstock ram. The junction heats up red, then white hot. Release
headstock chuck from drive system or loosen and back off tailstock chuck
so the now-welded joint isn't strained as it cools.

Speaking of this task of snaking wires around, I saw a really neat
method for retrieving the fish wire on TV a while ago:
They neat part was that they fed a string DOWNWARD into a wall
cavity. Then, to retrieve the string at the floor below, they stuck a
vacuum cleaner hose into the hole and it sucked in the string!
Won't work in all cases, but a neat idea.

Pete Stanaitis
P.J.Leon wrote:
I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques explained :

P.J.Leon wrote:

[...]

That is it,I forgot about HF,I think Google now is mostly about
advertizing,I've been looking for the last four days and HF nevercame
up once,I think I tried every combination,bellhanger,aircraft
etc,nothing for HF.I'm starting to have my doubts about Google. Thanks
anyway

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Works better when dealing with pipe or tubing.

Always leave a nylon string in a raceway or enclosure of some kind.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

spaco wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 16:15:21 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
P.J.Leon quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques explained :

and just bought a set of these on sale @ $4:

That is it,I forgot about HF,I think Google now is mostly about
advertizing,I've been looking for the last four days and HF nevercame
up once,I think I tried every combination,bellhanger,aircraft
etc,nothing for HF.I'm starting to have my doubts about Google. Thanks
anyway

Some sites don't give search-engine-friendly (SEF) URLs. HF must be
one of those. Otherwise, Google still gives me the best hits, though
I sometimes have to refine my searches according to the outcome of the
first and second peeks.

--
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.
--Troy P, usenet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
P.J.Leon wrote:

I want to use these bits for reference drilling.Some times I have to
run
telco and network wiring between floors.I have 1/4"x18" wood bits but
they leave a good size hole on the floor.As you see,wood is the
material
that I have to drill thru.I found a place that sells drill blanks that
are even smaller than 1/8.

The people who installed air conditioning ducts in my house used stiff
pieces of wire with a crude tip. Must have been cheap, they had them in
bundles and quite a few bent and were discarded but most went thru and
were left in place so they could measure from both sides.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Likely the diameter of the older Telephone round wire used in homes.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Home Depot and some, have 3/16 bits in about that length. I've used those to
find what's on the other side of a baseboard, or something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

P.J.Leon wrote:
Wes explained :
P.J.Leon wrote:

I'm looking for 1/8" or smaller drill bits 18" long or longer,anybody
knows a supplier? thanx

Just curious, but how fast do you plan on spinning it? That is going
to be
very whippy. You planning on some sort of intermediate guide bushings?

Google critical speed. Going to be even worse since you are pushing
on it
in order to drill.

Wes

I want to use these bits for reference drilling.Some times I have to run
telco and network wiring between floors.I have 1/4"x18" wood bits but
they leave a good size hole on the floor.As you see,wood is the material
that I have to drill thru.I found a place that sells drill blanks that
are even smaller than 1/8.

When I installed floor registers in my first ever job we used wire coat
hangers - all job sites have some. Just straighten one out, cut end off
with diagonal cutters to make a crude drill tip. We drilled through 3/4"
oak flooring on 3/4" plywood decking with amazing ease. You have to
guide the tip into the wood.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:00:51 -0500, spaco
wrote:

Speaking of this task of snaking wires around, I saw a really neat
method for retrieving the fish wire on TV a while ago:
They neat part was that they fed a string DOWNWARD into a wall
cavity. Then, to retrieve the string at the floor below, they stuck a
vacuum cleaner hose into the hole and it sucked in the string!
Won't work in all cases, but a neat idea.

Ball chain, magnet. String and large hex nut, magnet. BT,DT,HTTS.

-- Bruce --