Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Homebase employee: "Your Bosch drill is not a *real* drill.. it is a screwdriver" !?

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion
Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some
"plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says
I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

My new Bosch drill didn't come with that. So I went down to Homebase
and found the drill-bit. Luckily they also had my exact model on
display.

I called over an employee and explained that my bosch drill appears to
only accept drill bits have a hexagonal (or similar) attachment (and
pointed to the drill).

The guy says : "that's not a drill, it's a screwdriver".

(I was thinking 'well.. erm.. does it say it is a drill"?!)

I took the drill back to argos & got a full refund.

Anyway, I have the drill bit, and the argos website infront of me. I
have no idea which drills will accept my 10mm HSS drill bit - CAN
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!?! I don't want to spend over £60.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 12:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

Got an image link?

It sounds like the bosh was an impact driver. They are excellent toys
and I want one. Not necessarily Bosch but if someone wants to send me
theirs I will accept it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 1:06 pm, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:53 pm, wrote:

[...]

sure, click : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...OSCH+DRILL.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Anyway, I have the drill bit, and the argos website infront of me. I
have no idea which drills will accept my 10mm HSS drill bit - CAN
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!?! I don't want to spend over £60.

http://tinyurl.com/2x29f5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion
Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some
"plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says
I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

You are right to find the description misleading. Not what is needed as a
first drill/driver. So to talk Bosch and talk Argos look at 0072564 as an
example of something that will take your 10mm drill.

A 10mm keyless chuck is what you need. Plenty available in the marketplace
from as low as £15. Look at Screwfix for a bigger range.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion
Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some
"plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says
I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

They maybe 'designed for heavy duty use' but are they designed for
plasterboard?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:53:24 -0700, james.jobs wrote:

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion
Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some
"plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says
I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

Apart from the issue with the drill itself, an HSS drill bit is not the
right type to use for drilling plasterboard. Any sort of masonry will very
quickly blunt an HSS drill. Plasterboard is so soft it shouldn't hurt but
HSS is overkill: you could make a hole in it with a screwdriver.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drill_Bits

You may like to share with this group just what it is you're trying to fix
to the wall: plasterboard isn't easy to make secure fixings to and if
something heavy comes away you may not enjoy the aftermath.

--
John Stumbles

I used to be forgetful but now I ... um ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 12:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

I want to thank everyone for all their helpful suggestions.

I went to argos today around 2pm, got a Bosch drill for £40

I took it home. I drilled 3 holes with a 10mm HSS drill bit

I then returned the item to Argos for a full refund (gotta love argos -
the best free hire shop in town) at around 4pm

(I am saving up for a £140 drill, which I will buy from Argos)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi James

I use screw fix I find it a lot cheaper for good quality stuff than
Argos

Here is a link to all cordless drills
http://www.screwfix.co.uk/app/sfd/ca...ortby=lowFirst

And a link to an 18 volt drill which will take 10mm bits at £39.99

http://www.screwfix.co.uk/app/sfd/ca...44843&id=75943

Hope it helps
Tom