Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Homebase employee: "Your Bosch drill is not a *real* drill.. itis a screwdriver" !?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:53:24 -0700, james.jobs wrote:

I bought a Bosch drill a few days ago. (300 Bosch PSR 300 Lithium-Ion
Handy Drill Driver Cat No. 7111552 )

I am trying to attach something to plasterboard. I bought some
"plasplugs" (designed for heavy duty use). On the instructions it says
I need to drill a hole using a 10mm HSS Drill bit.

Apart from the issue with the drill itself, an HSS drill bit is not the
right type to use for drilling plasterboard. Any sort of masonry will very
quickly blunt an HSS drill. Plasterboard is so soft it shouldn't hurt but
HSS is overkill: you could make a hole in it with a screwdriver.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drill_Bits

You may like to share with this group just what it is you're trying to fix
to the wall: plasterboard isn't easy to make secure fixings to and if
something heavy comes away you may not enjoy the aftermath.

--
John Stumbles

I used to be forgetful but now I ... um ....