Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/8" or smaller drill bits

Works better when dealing with pipe or tubing.

Always leave a nylon string in a raceway or enclosure of some kind.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

spaco wrote:
How about just brazing the bit you want onto a long enough shank? Low
temp silver solder may even work for that. It's only wood, so even if
you do temper the bit while brazing, so what.

I have had success in lathe-welding drill bits to shanks. albeit
bigger than your 1/8" requirement.
Lathe set at top speed
New shank material sticking out of chuck/collet a little bit
Drill bit chucked backwards in tailstock chuck
Shank end of drill bit supported by steady rest, close to new shank
sticking out of headstock chuck.
--Turn on lathe, force drill bit's shank into new long shank with
tailstock ram. The junction heats up red, then white hot. Release
headstock chuck from drive system or loosen and back off tailstock chuck
so the now-welded joint isn't strained as it cools.

Speaking of this task of snaking wires around, I saw a really neat
method for retrieving the fish wire on TV a while ago:
They neat part was that they fed a string DOWNWARD into a wall
cavity. Then, to retrieve the string at the floor below, they stuck a
vacuum cleaner hose into the hole and it sucked in the string!
Won't work in all cases, but a neat idea.

Pete Stanaitis