Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Technical aspects of drill bit sharpening

I recently discovered how to fix an issue with drilling that I was
having... I wanted to drill at a fairly slow speed in certain
materials and found that one type of bit worked best. Unfortunately,
they don't make that bit in letter sizes, which I need. Through
experimenting, I've realized that the reason why just this one bit
brand/type works so well, is how they designed the angle on the tip.
Not the point angle that is generally spoken of, such as 118 degrees
or 135 degrees... but the angle at which the tops are cut at. I'm not
even sure what you call that part of the bit. But if you look at the
bit from the side and see the main point, which is typically the
standard 118 or 135 degrees... then turn the bit to the other side and
look at the angle that goes along the top of that side... This is the
angle the controls how much bite the blades (if that what's they're
referred to) make into the material. I noticed that, that 'blade'
angle on the bits that work well for me are particularly flat compared
to most other bits... There's very little angle/bite at all. So... My
question is, does anybody know of a sharpener that isn't a fortune,
but can control that angle? Or is it possible to find human-beings
these days that actually know enough about sharpening to understand
that? I would like to sharpen numerous bits to that configuration.

Thanks for any info,

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave99" wrote in message
[...]

I'll bet somebody here has the wonderful instructions I once saw here. I think
it was by "T-Nut". In any case, learning how to sharpen your drill bits by hand
is worth the time and effort. The first step is to have a grinding wheel
dressed as close to perfection as possible. The rest is common sense and a bit
of practice. Don't over heat the steel! Once you learn the basics, you can
grind specials, like the one you mentioned with the low rake angle. You can be
an expert in an hour!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I understand correctly, you're thinking of the drill cutting relief
angle. My Darex M5 can set this. It cost me $160 at an auction. I haven't
watched but they may bring slightly more on eBay.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ah ha... Relief angle. I did a search and they say the Drill Doctor
750 has adjustable relief angle. Thanks guys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:29:31 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor
qualm, Dave99 quickly quoth:

[...]

If you're saying what I think you might be saying, the angle is called
"lip angle". If you set the bit down on its cutting edge, it's the
clearance angle from the cutting edge to the back of the edge, right?
A high angle there would tend to parallel the twist from the back, so
you want a low angle.

You can sharpen them by hand that way. Never having used a drill bit
sharpening machine, I don't know if that angle can be set or not.

You could also give the point angle less than 118 degrees by holding
it to the grinding wheel at a lesser angle, but I think it's the lip
you're talking about.

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Dave99" wrote in message

[...]

I think you mean these:

http://www.diybanter.com/showpost.ph...43&postcount=4

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

In any case, learning how to sharpen your drill bits by hand
is worth the time and effort. The first step is to have a grinding wheel
dressed as close to perfection as possible. The rest is common sense and a bit
of practice. Don't over heat the steel! Once you learn the basics, you can
grind specials, like the one you mentioned with the low rake angle. You can be
an expert in an hour!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-14, Karl Townsend wrote:
If I understand correctly, you're thinking of the drill cutting relief
angle. My Darex M5 can set this. It cost me $160 at an auction. I haven't
watched but they may bring slightly more on eBay.

I think that he's talking about a "dubbed" drill bit -- near
zero rake -- good for drilling in materials like brass and some
plastics. And this is normally done by hand after sharpening the bit in
the normal manner.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 13, 8:38 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

If you're saying what I think you might be saying, the angle is called
"lip angle". If you set the bit down on its cutting edge, it's the
clearance angle from the cutting edge to the back of the edge, right?

Right... I did some searching and I've now seen it referred to as
"Drill Lip Relief Angle". So 'Relief Angle', 'Lip Angle'... I guess
all the same thing, right? All I know is that all the ones I've tried
with a sharp angle there don't do what I want, and the couple I have
that have the very modest angle do... So that must be the difference.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 12:59*am, Dave99 wrote:
Right... I did some searching and I've now seen it referred to as
"Drill Lip Relief Angle". So 'Relief Angle', 'Lip Angle'......
Dave

The original Darex Drill Doctor will grind non-standard relief angles
if you don't align the bit correctly in the setting fixture. The angle
of the center ridge to the cutting edge is after-the-fact evidence
that the bit rotated in the collet but there isn't any way to control
it.

I have been thinking about how to make a separate setting fixture with
an adjustable positive stop for the cutting edge. Has anyone else made
one that worked well?

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave99 wrote:
On Apr 13, 8:38 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

If you're saying what I think you might be saying, the angle is called
"lip angle". If you set the bit down on its cutting edge, it's the
clearance angle from the cutting edge to the back of the edge, right?

Right... I did some searching and I've now seen it referred to as
"Drill Lip Relief Angle". So 'Relief Angle', 'Lip Angle'... I guess
all the same thing, right? All I know is that all the ones I've tried
with a sharp angle there don't do what I want, and the couple I have
that have the very modest angle do... So that must be the difference.

Dave

Not really all the same thing.

The angle you see when you hold the drill, at the tip, from one lip to
the other, is the lip angle. The amount of drop behind the cutting edge
when it is cutting, is the relief angle,or clearance, and the angle on
the front of the cutting edge, in relation to the material, is the rake
angle.

All three can be modified to some extent to improve (or not) a drills
cutting characteristics.

If you can find an Industrial Arts textbook there is a better than
decent chance that the various angles are explained, with a decent diagram.

For average use, 59 degrees per side (118 degrees included angle) has
been settled on as the "best", but depending on the material, anywhere
from 30 degrees per side to 70 per side are around.

The relief or clearance, controls the maximum amount of material that
the drill can cut in a revolution, and the rake is adjusted to adjust
for the material, as much as it can be, whithin the limits of the helix
angle of the bit.

Some of the older Popular Mechanics Shop books had some really usefull
diagrams for drills, among other usefull info.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:59:17 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor
qualm, Dave99 quickly quoth:

On Apr 13, 8:38 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

If you're saying what I think you might be saying, the angle is called
"lip angle". If you set the bit down on its cutting edge, it's the
clearance angle from the cutting edge to the back of the edge, right?

Right... I did some searching and I've now seen it referred to as
"Drill Lip Relief Angle". So 'Relief Angle', 'Lip Angle'... I guess
all the same thing, right? All I know is that all the ones I've tried
with a sharp angle there don't do what I want, and the couple I have
that have the very modest angle do... So that must be the difference.

The higher the angle, the easier they are to chip on tough material.
By Jove, I believe you've got it! Carry on.

--
It is better to wear out than to rust out.
-- Bishop Richard Cumberland
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:16:21 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Dave99" wrote in message
I recently discovered how to fix an issue with drilling that I was
having... I wanted to drill at a fairly slow speed in certain
materials and found that one type of bit worked best.

snip

I'll bet somebody here has the wonderful instructions I once saw here. I think
it was by "T-Nut". In any case, learning how to sharpen your drill bits by hand
is worth the time and effort. The first step is to have a grinding wheel
dressed as close to perfection as possible. The rest is common sense and a bit
of practice. Don't over heat the steel! Once you learn the basics, you can
grind specials, like the one you mentioned with the low rake angle. You can be
an expert in an hour!

You are right Tom

Karl reposted Teenut's bionic system smoe time ago and I saved it
again. was lost somewhere on a dinosaur model computer. Thanks
Karl
repost

next line emphasised, I, and others, miss Teenut's advice.

In memoriam...

Subject: drill sharpening FAQ?
From: Robert Bastow
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:59:04 GMT

Intro snipped.....

The drill was ground, freehand, on the FACE of the wheel (not the flat
side)...care being taken to keep the POINT angle as equal as possible
on both sides..I'll tell you how to do THAT in a moment..

Lets do that now in fact..

Jim, You are dead right about not being able to grind a drill without
mechanical help! Well here's how you create your own "6 Million
Dollar Bionic Darex"
;^)

Let's assume we are going to sharpen a 3/8" diameter, 2MT shank
drill..it is about 8" long (these figures are arbitrary..I just want
every one to have the same mental picture of what I am describing. We
approach the wheel, which has been dressed on its face, dead straight
across with no grooves..(Ve SHOOT anyone ve catch putting grooves in
ze drill wheel!!..No Pity..No Prisoners..Ya! Verdampt!)

(Sorry)...

The drill shank is held firmly in the RIGHT hand...ALL the movement
and control is imparted by the RIGHT hand. For the purposes of drill
grinding, the left hand could be...with benefit..a LUMP OF CLAY!!

It is from this "lump of clay" that we fashion the Bionic Darex".

Place your left hand thumb and finger tips LIGHTLY together..Relax the
other three fingers aand let them naturally curl against the palm of
your hand.
Let the drill flute drop into the vee between thumb and fore finger
and let the tip of the finger "Find" the curve of the flute where it
fits comfortably. The tip of the thumb rests on the sharp junction ot
the land and the flute, about an inch back from the drill tip.

Now...SQUEEZE HARD!!! YOUCH!...I said it would be easier if it were
clay! 8^)
Lift the drill from your fingers...see the GROOVE?...Drop the drill
back in..it locates within a thou or two! Magic?..Bionic at least!
Squeeze again to set the groove. You have created a customised drill
guide that fits better that that on any machine ever built! You can
relax your grip now..feel how smoothly the drill will ride back and
forth, guided by the groove you have created for it.

Place the knuckles of your left hand, LIGHTLY on the ginding wheel
tool rest, and swing the drill shank, from left to right (using ONLY
your right hand) and push the drill lengthways though that groove in
your fingers back or forth using the groove to make the drill twist or
"rifle" in your fingers. Do NOT move your left hand in any way..it is
made of clay remember!

UNTIL....

A) The drill axis is "eyeballed" to be at half the required point
angle to the wheel face...You can scribe or chalk reference lines on
your grinder benchtop to help you line this up..at least untill it
become almost second nature.

B) The drill axis is dropped JUUUst below horizontal. This will
ensure that your soon to be ground drill lip will start with a
"smidgin" of cutting clearance.

(Ideally, and certainly for a beginner, the grinder rest should be
set dead radially to the wheel center and about half the drill
diameter below the true center of the wheel)

C) The two cutting edges of the drill..the straight, sharp bits,
formed by the junction of the flute and the back face (the only bit
you grind), should be horizontally disposed..with the edge uppermost
on the side closest to your left hand..the othe sharp bit of course,
pointing downwards (Jeeze this would be a lot easier with a sketch
pad)

This I will call the SET or START position!

NOW, move your left hand for the first, last, and ONLY time during
this whole exercise. GENTLY ease the cutting edge towards the
spinning wheel, carefully maintaining all the angles and orientations
of the SET position..until the cutting edge is JUST shy of touching
the wheel. If you listen carefully you will hear the tone of the
entrained air, whistling through the narrowing gap.
You will hear a subtle but distinct change of tone JUST, I mean
Just...a couple tenths of a thou BEFORE the edge touches the wheel.
STOP!!! FREEZE!! DO NOT MOVE!!

Now, press the knuckles of your lump of clay..sorry, your left hand
FIRMLY down onto, into and around the grinding rest..establish a
"Groove" on the back of your hand as well as between your fingers.

We are now ready to grind, Your left hand locked to the drill and
grinding rest is otherwise quite relaxed..letting the drill slide,
twist and tilt wherever your right hand and the groove in your fingers
tell it to go.

The actual grinding is a bit of an anticlimax.

You have previously studied a new drill point, you have read about
clearance, and cutting angles, and rakes and......

With the RIGHT hand in control, gently, kinda, lean forward... bending
or squeezing your arms hands and body..rather than actually moving
them..until you take up that last couple of tenths and the wheel
begins to cut. Let it cut..don't force it, and dont' rush it..it
really won't hurt anything if you take a full minute Per pass per
face. YOU and your "Bionic Darex" are totally in control of that
drill and the wheel..Forget the times when, close to panic,
you swung the drill wildly past the wheel, hoping to get "the dirty
deed" over with as quickly as possible.

Take your time, enjoy the moment, THINK about the shape you are trying
to generate. Just the one face is left to "Interpretation"...every
other aspect,angle, facet, what have you...Has ALREADY BEEN TAKEN CARE
OF!! and is locked in place under your control!

The right hand should perfome a "Lower Quadrant sweep" for want of a
better term..An observer behind you would see your hand move from
about 17 minutes past the hour on a clock face, to roughly 25 minutes
past. But it isn't a smooth arc of a circle, more a sector of an
elipse..You see, as your hand starts to drop slowly, you are also
rotating the drill in "the groove"..the first third of the turn needs
to maintain that very slight clearance angle on the cutting edge,
and not increase it too rapidly.

You need the clearance to cut..But too much at that point will WEAKEN
the edge, and cause the drill to snatch and chip...So the first part
of the rotation is ALMOST but not quite, just as though you were
grinding a straight cone point on the end of your drill. Only as you
approach the second third, does your right hand start to noticably
drop..kinda "Catching Up" on the rotary motion...increasing the
clearance as it does.

In the last third of the rotaion the right hand drops quite
rapidly..Though not enough to catch the OTHER drill lip on the
wheel..that lip is coming around quite rapidly by now.

Above all, take your time, if it helps, move the drill one degree at a
time, and think ahead what shape or angle the next degree of cutting
face needs...Remember, you have control, and IT ain't going nowhere
'til you decide.

After a pass on one face, flip the drill in your "Bionic Darex" DO
NOT MOVE THAT LEFT HAND!!, return to SET position and repeat, the pass
on the other face.

Having done a couple of passes on each face..it is now time to check
the results on our homemade "Optical Comparator"

(Sorry Jim I couldn't resist!!) ;^)

Rest the center hole in back end of the drill shank, on the center
point of the "Comparator" and use, first one and then the other drill
lip to scribe a light line on your whitewashed (OK Blue or red dyed)
surface.

You will readily see if the lines coincide..if the lips are even..or
not, as the case may be.

Lets assume they are..Now look directly DOWN on the end of the drill
to check the clearances. HUH? How can you check radial clearance by
looking it straight in the face? Surely you need to look at it
sideways?

Well no you don't...for once all thos interacting and confusing angle
and faces and clearances are going to work together in YOUR favor and
make what could be a tricky bit of metrology..quite simple. While we
are looking at the end of the drill, we will also check that the POINT
ANGLE is correct too!!!

(Ok guys, leave quietly..teenut has finally lost it!!)

No really, trust me. IF you look straight down on the point of a well
sharpened, standard drill, you will see the two cutting edges, joined
by the CHISEL edge which crosses over the web of the drill The angle
fromed by the chisel edge to each cutting edge, should be ABOUT 50
deg...anywhere between 40 and sixty is ok for a first attempt. (I can
hear the purists and theorists screaming and lighting up their flame
throwers)
But believe me, get it in that ball park and your drill will CUT. If
the angle is too steep..you don't have enough clearance...negative
clearance will give you an angle event greater than 90 deg. Too MUCH
clerance and the angle will appear too shallow!

While looking at the end, check the point angle, How? Look down
the axis of the drill at the cutting edges. Are they straight? If
so, your point is pretty close to the right angle (As designed for
that drill, by its manufacturer when he set the helix angle and the
cross section of the flute) If the edges appear CONCAVE the point is
too flat and if they appear CONVEX, the point is too "Pointy"

If your drill passes all these tests, which take but a second or two
to perform, THEN IT WILL CUT..pretty close to size, without
chattering, chipping, overheating, wandering or seizing. I guarantee
it!

Hey, thats a pretty good start for the first drill you ever ground!
All it takes now is a bit of practice for it to become second nature
and almost as easy with a little 'un or a big 'un!

Hey guys!

My apologies for "goin'on" but If it helps just one person to pluck up
the couragre and go hand sharpen his (or Her) first drill, by hand...

Then I hope you will bear with me.

It is late, I am tired and I am not even going to proof or spell check
this,

'night all

teenut

=================================

This post took a bit of cleaning up after all the extra linefeeds
added over umpteen computer systems. I hope I haven't botched it.

I use Teenut's system and it works for me. I usually pile up blunt
bits until there are about 50 of all sizes to sharpen, then do them as
a batch, the last is always much better than the first, so I usually
go over the first ten to improve them.

I think that all of Teenut's postings are archived somewhere. Does
anyone know where I can find them ?

I miss that man.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ah ha... Relief angle. I did a search and they say the Drill Doctor
750 has adjustable relief angle. Thanks guys.

I was in Sears over the weekend with time to kill. They had several
models of Drill Doctor on sale at a significant discount. The 500 had
several features I didn't recall from the original model, and they were
sold out of the 750, so I couldn't see what sort of features it had that
would warrant the higher price. It looked like they had added several
adjustments to the 500, which could be good or bad. More stuff to fiddle
with & misalign, but in theory you can fix stuff you don't like.

Doug White

From: Robert Bastow
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:59:04 GMT

The drill shank is held firmly in the RIGHT hand...ALL the

movement
and control is imparted by the RIGHT hand. For the

purposes of drill
grinding, the left hand could be...with benefit..a LUMP OF

CLAY!!

This is a fine article by teenut but I have said it before
and I'll say it again
now, switch RIGHT for LEFT and then it'll work as described!
That's
my opinion and I'm sticking to it.........
phil kangas

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:38:48 +0100, pentagrid wrote:
It's pretty easy to learn how to hand sharpen a drill
and lots of advice on this has been posted.

A drill can only produce its nominal size hole if the
drill point geometry is precisely symmetrical. It's reasonably easy to
come close to with a well designed drill jig but nearly impossible with
a freehand drill grind.

Can you gaze at your freehand sharpened drill point
geometry and be sure that your efforts have produced a point with
asymmetry less than 0.005"

I'm sure the answer to that question is yes. 0.005" is easy to
see by eye. For example, if someone hands you a #11 and a #12
drill bit, about .002" different, you don't have any trouble
telling which is larger, do you?

-jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:04:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.. .

My uncle taught me to sharpen drills 30 some years ago, he could grind a
drill that would drill an UNDERSIZE hole...I never mastered that.

That must have been those special drills that deposit metal on the inside of
the hole. They're very rare, and they're collector's items today. d8-)

I can grind a drillbit to drill an undersize hole. Not a prob.
I just can't grind one to drill the perfect oversize hole.

--
It is better to wear out than to rust out.
-- Bishop Richard Cumberland
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I took some bits to a local tool place that says he has a sharpening
guy. I labeled the one that works the way I need and told them to
match the 'lip angle' (if that's right). So we'll see. I gave them
just a couple to see if they do it right. Thanks for all the help
though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:04:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

My uncle taught me to sharpen drills 30 some years ago, he could grind a
drill that would drill an UNDERSIZE hole...I never mastered that.

That must have been those special drills that deposit metal on the inside
of
the hole. They're very rare, and they're collector's items today. d8-)

I can grind a drillbit to drill an undersize hole. Not a prob.
I just can't grind one to drill the perfect oversize hole.

Well, when you grind a drill bit on its circumference, you can make some
really small holes. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:20:45 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:49:45 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

Ah ha... Relief angle. I did a search and they say the Drill Doctor
750 has adjustable relief angle. Thanks guys.

I was in Sears over the weekend with time to kill. They had several
models of Drill Doctor on sale at a significant discount. The 500 had
several features I didn't recall from the original model, and they were
sold out of the 750, so I couldn't see what sort of features it had that
would warrant the higher price. It looked like they had added several
adjustments to the 500, which could be good or bad. More stuff to fiddle
with & misalign, but in theory you can fix stuff you don't like.

Doug White

Just out of curiosity, why not learn to sharpen the drill by hand? I
learned when I was 14 years old and it couldn't have been that complex
if a 14 year old kid with a different type of drilling on his mind
could master it -- sure wish I could have mastered some of those girls
I was thinking about :-)
Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

As the high school shop teacher explained " you put the drill over
your left index finger resting on the tool rest and bring it up to
touch the wheel, then you just rock and roll it" (mid '50s)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-15, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:20:45 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

[ ... ]

Just out of curiosity, why not learn to sharpen the drill by hand? I
learned when I was 14 years old and it couldn't have been that complex
if a 14 year old kid with a different type of drilling on his mind
could master it -- sure wish I could have mastered some of those girls
I was thinking about :-)

[ ... ]

As the high school shop teacher explained " you put the drill over
your left index finger resting on the tool rest and bring it up to
touch the wheel, then you just rock and roll it" (mid '50s)

As long as it isn't the left index finger which you bring up to
touch the wheel. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Apr 2008 02:08:43 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-04-15, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:20:45 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

[ ... ]

Just out of curiosity, why not learn to sharpen the drill by hand? I
learned when I was 14 years old and it couldn't have been that complex
if a 14 year old kid with a different type of drilling on his mind
could master it -- sure wish I could have mastered some of those girls
I was thinking about :-)

[ ... ]

As the high school shop teacher explained " you put the drill over
your left index finger resting on the tool rest and bring it up to
touch the wheel, then you just rock and roll it" (mid '50s)

As long as it isn't the left index finger which you bring up to
touch the wheel. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

BTDT
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, I tried taking some bits to a local shop that claimed they knew
how to do what I wanted... but I got the bits back and all they did
was copy the 118 angle onto the other bits. Would anybody happen to
know of anyone in the Los Angeles area that actually knows what
they're doing when it comes to sharpening? There has to be somebody
out there that knows what a lip angle is.

Drill bit sharpening Service Stormin Mormon Home Repair 8 May 21st 05 01:42 PM
drill bit sharpening [email protected] Metalworking 22 April 29th 05 04:29 PM
Drill Bit Sharpening Tina Woodworking 43 March 20th 05 02:58 AM
Drill bit sharpening ED ROGERS Metalworking 10 August 15th 04 07:24 AM
Sharpening Drill Bits Brendan Jones Metalworking 3 September 23rd 03 06:39 AM