Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Technical aspects of drill bit sharpening

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Dave99" wrote in message

I recently discovered how to fix an issue with drilling that I was
having... I wanted to drill at a fairly slow speed in certain
materials and found that one type of bit worked best. Unfortunately,
they don't make that bit in letter sizes, which I need. Through
experimenting, I've realized that the reason why just this one bit
brand/type works so well, is how they designed the angle on the tip.
Not the point angle that is generally spoken of, such as 118 degrees
or 135 degrees... but the angle at which the tops are cut at. I'm not
even sure what you call that part of the bit. But if you look at the
bit from the side and see the main point, which is typically the
standard 118 or 135 degrees... then turn the bit to the other side and
look at the angle that goes along the top of that side... This is the
angle the controls how much bite the blades (if that what's they're
referred to) make into the material. I noticed that, that 'blade'
angle on the bits that work well for me are particularly flat compared
to most other bits... There's very little angle/bite at all. So... My
question is, does anybody know of a sharpener that isn't a fortune,
but can control that angle? Or is it possible to find human-beings
these days that actually know enough about sharpening to understand
that? I would like to sharpen numerous bits to that configuration.

Thanks for any info,

Dave

I'll bet somebody here has the wonderful instructions I once saw here. I think
it was by "T-Nut".

I think you mean these:

http://www.diybanter.com/showpost.ph...43&postcount=4

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

In any case, learning how to sharpen your drill bits by hand
is worth the time and effort. The first step is to have a grinding wheel
dressed as close to perfection as possible. The rest is common sense and a bit
of practice. Don't over heat the steel! Once you learn the basics, you can
grind specials, like the one you mentioned with the low rake angle. You can be
an expert in an hour!