Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine sale on ebay...has to be a record!

3 years ago I sold a BIG bandsaw on eBay. The gentleman asked if I would store
it until he arranged transport from OH to CT. OK, it's not in the way! THREE
years later he has a truck ready to swing by...maybe. It didn't bother me, the
saw was out of the way but I figure this has to be the longest lived eBay
transaction. If anybody, Gunner might have similar stories.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 7:49 pm, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
3 years ago I sold a BIG bandsaw on eBay. The gentleman asked if I would store
it until he arranged transport from OH to CT. OK, it's not in the way! THREE
years later he has a truck ready to swing by...maybe. It didn't bother me, the
saw was out of the way but I figure this has to be the longest lived eBay
transaction. If anybody, Gunner might have similar stories.

Hi, Tom.
That is quite a story. I have never had anything like that, or even
close.

What I have experienced on Ebay is 6 months after buying an EPROM
programmer, the seller returned all my money. Never explained.

I own an electronic assembly service. We were using a lot of bar
solder in the wave solder machine several years ago. I found a seller
in New York that had a lot of brand name bar solder in large
quantities and got several batches at good prices. Then one day we got
a phone call from a police agency in the guy's home town. They asked
for copies of all Ebay sales and all email correspondence with the
seller, which I printed and faxed to them. Seems the guy was stealing
from his employer and selling on Ebay.

Seems like there was one other weird thing, but it escapes me right
now.

Thanks, Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
3 years ago I sold a BIG bandsaw on eBay. The gentleman asked if I would
store it until he arranged transport from OH to CT. OK, it's not in the
way! THREE years later he has a truck ready to swing by...maybe. It
didn't bother me, the saw was out of the way but I figure this has to be
the longest lived eBay transaction. If anybody, Gunner might have similar
stories.

I had a couple of marathon transactions, but I was paid, and I didn't care
if they EVER picked it up.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I own an electronic assembly service. We were using a lot of bar
solder in the wave solder machine several years ago. I found a seller
in New York that had a lot of brand name bar solder in large
quantities and got several batches at good prices. Then one day we got
a phone call from a police agency in the guy's home town. They asked
for copies of all Ebay sales and all email correspondence with the
seller, which I printed and faxed to them. Seems the guy was stealing
from his employer and selling on Ebay.

This has got to be extremely common, especially on small high dollar items.
Take Sandvik and Iscar inserts, for example. You can get them any day of the
week for 25 cents on the dollar. Who needs a pawn shop or a fence when
you've got eBay.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

SteveB wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
3 years ago I sold a BIG bandsaw on eBay. The gentleman asked if I would
store it until he arranged transport from OH to CT. OK, it's not in the
way! THREE years later he has a truck ready to swing by...maybe. It
didn't bother me, the saw was out of the way but I figure this has to be
the longest lived eBay transaction. If anybody, Gunner might have similar
stories.

I had a couple of marathon transactions, but I was paid, and I didn't care
if they EVER picked it up.

Steve

I sold a brake lathe to a buyer who later turned out to be in Chile.
between the language barrier and complicated freight arrangements, it
took about 3 months to get it out the door.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-10, Rex wrote:
SteveB wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
3 years ago I sold a BIG bandsaw on eBay. The gentleman asked if I would
store it until he arranged transport from OH to CT. OK, it's not in the
way! THREE years later he has a truck ready to swing by...maybe. It
didn't bother me, the saw was out of the way but I figure this has to be
the longest lived eBay transaction. If anybody, Gunner might have similar
stories.

I had a couple of marathon transactions, but I was paid, and I didn't care
if they EVER picked it up.

Steve

I sold a brake lathe to a buyer who later turned out to be in Chile.
between the language barrier and complicated freight arrangements, it
took about 3 months to get it out the door.

I still have some stuff that one professor bought from me 1.5 years
ago. (alumina blocks)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:49:29 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

3 years ago I sold a BIG bandsaw on eBay. The gentleman asked if I would store
it until he arranged transport from OH to CT. OK, it's not in the way! THREE
years later he has a truck ready to swing by...maybe. It didn't bother me, the
saw was out of the way but I figure this has to be the longest lived eBay
transaction. If anybody, Gunner might have similar stories.

I sold a shaper 7 years ago. He paid me but he hasn't come and
picked it up yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

This has got to be extremely common, especially on small high dollar items.
Take Sandvik and Iscar inserts, for example. You can get them any day of the
week for 25 cents on the dollar. Who needs a pawn shop or a fence when
you've got eBay.

I wonder about a lot of those great insert deals. Did the operator lift a
few each night, bitch about excessive hardness and accumulate a stash to
sell?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Leone wrote:
I wonder if there is some period after which a product is considered legally
abandoned? It is honorable to hold a product for a person if you said you
would, but that length of time seems ridiculous.

I think a more sound approach would be to contact the buyer and declare
that you've held it long enough and that starting in 1 month there will
be a storage fee, payable in advance. And that if the fee becomes 3
months in arrears, the machine will be sold to pay the fees, with the
remainder, less your disposition fee, being paid to him.

This being my homespun legal opinion without any credentials backing it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Nick Leone wrote:
I wonder if there is some period after which a product is considered legally
abandoned? It is honorable to hold a product for a person if you said you
would, but that length of time seems ridiculous.

I think a more sound approach would be to contact the buyer and declare that
you've held it long enough and that starting in 1 month there will be a
storage fee, payable in advance. And that if the fee becomes 3 months in
arrears, the machine will be sold to pay the fees, with the remainder, less
your disposition fee, being paid to him.

This being my homespun legal opinion without any credentials backing it.

Bob

I did tell him that I would let him know if was in the way. All the time it was
hooked up and we used it a few times a month. I e-mailed him every 6 months or
so or he I, and confirmed it wasn't a problem. I kind of did expect him to
either abandon it or sell it. He always seems like a nice guy and as a fellow
woodworking/business owner I had more empathy than with a typical eBay buyer.

Fidelipac NAB cart play/record machine-2 track mono-7.5 IPS-for sale DeserTBob's Futile Efforts Electronics Repair 0 September 4th 07 11:50 AM
tool for sale on Ebay, mm Home Repair 6 September 28th 06 01:02 AM
HUGE 78rpm shellac record sale-Ebay-none over $10 a lot CAINE Home Ownership 0 August 5th 05 06:04 PM
Record CL4 Lathe for Sale Tony the Turner Woodturning 0 December 14th 04 04:25 PM
Record Lathe for sale UK John Ainsworth Woodturning 0 July 14th 04 08:16 PM