Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default remove tractor tire fluid

The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of the
valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of the
valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

With a pump. Which is most easily obtained by having a the tractor-tire
changing ruck which is equipped with a pump, etc. come and do it. CaCl2
is highly corrosive, so the pump won't live long unless it's all
plastic, or otherwise resistant. Frugal might actually lean towards
having the well-equipped guy do it once every 20 years or so as needed,
cheap will require cobbling something up - perhaps a hose (with tire
valve fittings on each end) and an empty inner tube on the ground, with
the wheel jacked up so it can flow out by gravity...?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 7, 10:32 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
It has fluid in it.

Just out of curiosity, why do they put fluid in a tire? Is it an anti-
leak additive?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message The rear tire on my 8N just split open
from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of
the valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

Karl

Karl
A Simmer paddle pump works fine. Unscrew the valve stem from the tube and
use and adapter to go to garden hose.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/upl...ages_12-16.pdf
Scroll down to S466
Pump into a 55 gal drum and reverse when done with your repair. I saw a set
of 8N sized tires on Minneapolis Craigslist last week. Have fun!
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message

--
Cats, coffee, chocolate...vices to live b

1- Bucket under tire

2- Drill hole

--Just a thought

I hoard peristaltic pumps because you never know what you might need to
pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
It has fluid in it.

Just out of curiosity, why do they put fluid in a tire? Is it an anti-
leak additive?

It makes the tractor heavier for more traction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The question of why tires have fluid put in them was asked and to this I
say:

Weight. The cheapest way to get weight on the tractor for traction is
water with an antifreeze agent in it. Easy to install, easy to remove
and easy to adjust the weight for changing ground conditions.

H.R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It has fluid in it.

Just out of curiosity, why do they put fluid in a tire? Is it an anti-
leak additive?

It adds weight to the wheel for better traction.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" fired this volley in
anews.com:

The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in
it. I want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to
come out of the valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

Water some plants with it, then get some new "fluid" from your garden hos,
Karl.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, here's how NOT to do it. Remove entire valve core, its big enough to put
air blow gun right down barrel with room to spare. Tape up air gun and valve
stem so they are tight against a 3/4 sweat Tee. Clamp hose onto other side
of Tee and go to a barrel. Apply air. Works great, until tire blows out in
your face.

Karl

https://www.miltonindustries.com/upl...ages_12-16.pdf
Scroll down to S466
Pump into a 55 gal drum and reverse when done with your repair. I saw a
set of 8N sized tires on Minneapolis Craigslist last week. Have fun!
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon" wrote:

1- Bucket under tire

2- Drill hole

--Just a thought

That is just too freaking practical.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
OK, here's how NOT to do it. Remove entire valve core, its big enough to
put air blow gun right down barrel with room to spare. Tape up air gun and
valve stem so they are tight against a 3/4 sweat Tee. Clamp hose onto
other side of Tee and go to a barrel. Apply air. Works great, until tire
blows out in your face.

At least it's not -20. I changed a tire with fluid in it when it was damn
cold and it's almost instant frostbite when you get wet with liquid that
cold. I'm just getting dug out from the 18" of wet heavy snow we had
yesterday.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of the
valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

Karl

Cheap and tractor tire do not belong in the same sentence. I just
replaced the pair on my TO-20 with new Titan 12.4 X 28 ags. $483.00 plus
shipping! Added Beet Juice ballast (I HATE CaCl,).

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cheap and tractor tire do not belong in the same sentence. I just
replaced the pair on my TO-20 with new Titan 12.4 X 28 ags. $483.00 plus
shipping! Added Beet Juice ballast (I HATE CaCl,).

$500 for a pair is an OK price. I found a guy that will do one with no
fluid - $185 tire, $30 tube, $40 labor. Then, of course, the governor will
get his cut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cheap and tractor tire do not belong in the same sentence. I just
replaced the pair on my TO-20 with new Titan 12.4 X 28 ags. $483.00 plus
shipping! Added Beet Juice ballast (I HATE CaCl,).

$500 for a pair is an OK price. I need same size. I found a guy that will do
one with no fluid - $185 tire, $30 tube, $40 labor. Then, of course, the
governor will get his cut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 13:15:57 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

woodworker88 fired this volley in news:61a9e254-
:

wrote:
It has fluid in it.

Just out of curiosity, why do they put fluid in a tire? Is it an anti-
leak additive?

The solution is heavier than water.

Weight/traction. As Ecnerwal said, sometimes there CaCl2 in there for
freeze protection. But that stuff is dirt cheap. It's less trouble to
just dump it, and make more. (and it's easier to put the dry crystals in
the tire when mounting it, than to try and mix the fluid and pump it in.)

LLoyd

Not a good practice. Always add the CaCl2 to the water. There is a lot
of heat generated. Karl, here is a page that may be useful.

http://www.andystireservice.com/ballast.htm

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd think the fluid would flow from gravity down to the level of the outlet.
Then a pump is needed.

What kind of fluid ? - was it water or a heavy liquid ?

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Karl Townsend wrote:
The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of the
valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 7, 11:32*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of the
valve stem. How?

Then I can just buy a cheap tire and put it on myself.

Karl

Karl...hate to tell you but you should be thinking hard about
replacing both tires.

I assume that they were put on at the same time...making them the same
age.

Buying a set now will save you hassle later.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It has fluid in it.

Just out of curiosity, why do they put fluid in a tire? Is it an anti-
leak additive?

The solution is heavier than water.

Weight/traction. As Ecnerwal said, sometimes there CaCl2 in there for
freeze protection. But that stuff is dirt cheap. It's less trouble to
just dump it, and make more. (and it's easier to put the dry crystals in
the tire when mounting it, than to try and mix the fluid and pump it in.)

Not a good practice. Always add the CaCl2 to the water. There is a lot
of heat generated. Karl, here is a page that may be useful.

http://www.andystireservice.com/ballast.htm

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Gee, do I sense a name and home state match here...? ;-)

(Do they still make the old Goodyear "Metro Miler" city bus tires
that are rated for 50 MPH Max? Because LA Metro used to put them on
all their equipment, including the "Freeway Express" buses bombing
along at 70 in traffic with a full load...)

Oh, and another reason to collect and reuse the filling solution and
not to 'just dump it' is the environmental damage it would cause -
Calcium Chloride in concentrations like that is not going to be good
for the flower beds next to your driveway, and the City/County/State
is going to object to it going into a stream or dumped in the sewers
so the local sewer treatment plant has to deal with it.

And SWMBO is NOT going to be amused when you create a huge dead zone
where not even weeds grow in the yard. And she will be positively
livid when you have to dig out the top foot of soil and pay a fortune
to cart it off to a Hazmat dump site, and then pay even more to truck
in fresh topsoil.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman fired this volley
in :

And SWMBO is NOT going to be amused when you create a huge dead zone
where not even weeds grow in the yard. And she will be positively
livid when you have to dig out the top foot of soil and pay a fortune
to cart it off to a Hazmat dump site, and then pay even more to truck
in fresh topsoil.

_MINE_ would be thrilled if I "dumped" it around all the fenceposts, and
around the mailbox.

For the un-informed out there, Calcium Chloride is "dumped" into the
environment in THE THOUSANDS OF TONS by your cold-climate road
departments. It's chemically almost identical to salt, and is used as an
adjunct to make cheeses (the kind you eat, cheese-head).

We don't have that problem here; We can put "something that freezes at
32F" in our tires. No nasties in our tires.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just out of curiosity, why do they put fluid in a tire? *Is it an anti-
leak additive?

Ballast.

I store all my scrap steel plate on the back end of my tractor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:32:36 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

The rear tire on my 8N just split open from old age. It has fluid in it. I
want to find a way to remove the fluid and save it. needs to come out of the
valve stem. How?

OK, now I know why it's done, but...

If you fill a tire with water, how does that affect the pressure? Do
you just add air to bring it up to its rated inflation pressure? Does
the water affect the handling (other than the added weight)?

I suppose you should always use a tube, to prevent rusting of the rim.

For a tractor that's only used in the warm months, would there be any
harm in using water only, if the winter temps only go into the upper
20s at night (maybe let out the air at the top of the tire for winter
storage)? I'm wondering if the freeze expansion could be accomodated
by the extra slack in the tire.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe fired this volley in
:

If you fill a tire with water, how does that affect the pressure? Do
you just add air to bring it up to its rated inflation pressure?

It doesn't. You don't "fill" the tire with fluid, you _mostly_ fill it,
then top it off with air.
Does
the water affect the handling (other than the added weight)?

Not if you fill it more than 3/4 full. You can sort of feel the "slosh"
if you fill it about half-way, at least at road speeds.

I suppose you should always use a tube, to prevent rusting of the rim.

Yep.

For a tractor that's only used in the warm months, would there be any
harm in using water only, if the winter temps only go into the upper
20s at night (maybe let out the air at the top of the tire for winter
storage)? I'm wondering if the freeze expansion could be accomodated
by the extra slack in the tire.

It's not even a problem if the temps go down into the low teens, as long
as it doesn't stay below freezing long enough to freeze the water. A
rubber tire (and possibly a tube) are fair insulation, and even the
little tires on an 8N hold ten or more gallons each. (what? 26-18.5? I
don't remember, and I owned one up until about ten years ago)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 23:51:54 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

(Do they still make the old Goodyear "Metro Miler" city bus tires
that are rated for 50 MPH Max? Because LA Metro used to put them on
all their equipment, including the "Freeway Express" buses bombing
along at 70 in traffic with a full load...)

Not that I'm aware of.

Oh, and another reason to collect and reuse the filling solution and
not to 'just dump it' is the environmental damage it would cause -
Calcium Chloride in concentrations like that is not going to be good
for the flower beds next to your driveway, and the City/County/State
is going to object to it going into a stream or dumped in the sewers
so the local sewer treatment plant has to deal with it.

And SWMBO is NOT going to be amused when you create a huge dead zone
where not even weeds grow in the yard. And she will be positively
livid when you have to dig out the top foot of soil and pay a fortune
to cart it off to a Hazmat dump site, and then pay even more to truck
in fresh topsoil.

-- Bruce --

That concentration shooting out of valve stem will etch automobile
paint.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You want to see what happens when a fluid filled tire starts emptying
itself while going down the road at 30MPH plus, and it hits the
insulators on a transformer pole!!!!!
Great big firecracker about 30 feet up!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Alright, adding weight+antifreeze makes sense, but it would seem that
it would be alot easier to just dump it (haz waste or sanitary sewer,
not street drain) and make new. I know you can buy CaCl2 as snow
melter by the 55 pound bag for a few bucks apiece.