Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to change this lawn tractor tire

Someone once said that trying to take a tire off of a little lawn
tractor wheel is like pulling teeth....through the anus. I think they
are right.

So what's the trick? I can easily break the bead but getting the bead
off is a task. I thought my tire changer would do it but then I found
that the 4" tire is too small and the tire changer can't grab it.
Doh!!!!

Then I see this tool from Notherntool.com for small wheels but then it
says you need a minimum of 5cm hole in the wheel! That's quite a large
hole for a small wheel. Then they have another tool for like $400!

So what is the trick? Just use multiple tire irons and soap and water?
I messed with it for half an hour - I'll try more tomorow. The key
here is how to do without damaging the wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I fill them with slime....once I have the bead tight...I pump that
stuff in...and have haad good luck.

I even put it in the inner tubes. I fact..I think you can buy 4 inch
inner tubes with slime in it.

Thank

Bill
J.A. Michel wrote:
There's no reason to fight with it. Take it to the super-wally tire center
and let them do it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone once said that trying to take a tire off of a little lawn
tractor wheel is like pulling teeth....through the anus. I think they
are right.

So what's the trick? I can easily break the bead but getting the bead
off is a task. I thought my tire changer would do it but then I found
that the 4" tire is too small and the tire changer can't grab it.
Doh!!!!

Then I see this tool from Notherntool.com for small wheels but then it
says you need a minimum of 5cm hole in the wheel! That's quite a large
hole for a small wheel. Then they have another tool for like $400!

So what is the trick? Just use multiple tire irons and soap and water?
I messed with it for half an hour - I'll try more tomorow. The key
here is how to do without damaging the wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Got a vise? Clamp the rim into the vise what ever manner you have to. THEN
pry the beads over the short offset side of the rim. You have to push the
bead down to the small part of the rim 180 degrees from where your
screwdriver is. This is hard to explain in words. I could show you in
about 3 and a half seconds and it would be off. If you don't have a vise,
the next best way to hold the rim is to leave it attached to the mower.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone once said that trying to take a tire off of a little lawn
tractor wheel is like pulling teeth....through the anus. I think they
are right.

So what's the trick? I can easily break the bead but getting the bead
off is a task. I thought my tire changer would do it but then I found
that the 4" tire is too small and the tire changer can't grab it.
Doh!!!!

Then I see this tool from Notherntool.com for small wheels but then it
says you need a minimum of 5cm hole in the wheel! That's quite a large
hole for a small wheel. Then they have another tool for like $400!

So what is the trick? Just use multiple tire irons and soap and water?
I messed with it for half an hour - I'll try more tomorow. The key
here is how to do without damaging the wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's exactly what I thought at first....but then the stuborness
kicked in! I had to figure out how to do it.

For future reference for anyone looking at the same problem: I tried
again today and it took me about 5 minutes per wheel. Use lots of tire
lube around the bead and two 12" tire spoons. It reminded me of an
Indiana Jones movie: you can screw around with it for awhile and then
all of a sudden you move it just right and it pops off.

Putting the new ones on remains to be seen.

Steve Barker wrote:
Another option if you're not saving the tire is a hack saw. Saw the durn
thing in half. The tire that is, not the wheel. G

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
The tires are worn out. I need to replace them.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Have you considered leaving it on the wheel and putting a tube in it?
Or is it a serious wear problem you're trying eliminate?

wrote:
Someone once said that trying to take a tire off of a little lawn
tractor wheel is like pulling teeth....through the anus. I think they
are right.

So what's the trick? I can easily break the bead but getting the bead
off is a task. I thought my tire changer would do it but then I found
that the 4" tire is too small and the tire changer can't grab it.
Doh!!!!

Then I see this tool from Notherntool.com for small wheels but then it
says you need a minimum of 5cm hole in the wheel! That's quite a large
hole for a small wheel. Then they have another tool for like $400!

So what is the trick? Just use multiple tire irons and soap and water?
I messed with it for half an hour - I'll try more tomorow. The key
here is how to do without damaging the wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A good pair of vice grips clamped right on the edge of the rim will help
keep that new tire bead from "chasing" you around the rim.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...

Putting the new ones on remains to be seen.