Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Tractor suggestions please

I got tired of nursing along my old rider and gave it away. I was
sure I wanted a Kohler engine this time out but I see Briggs now has a
fully pressurized lube model which seems popular and now I am not so
sure.
Zero turn is out of the picture. I can't bring myself to pay $1000
more ($2600) than I would pay for a decent tractor type ($1600),
especially for my small lawn. The lawn is just large enough to demand
a rider and takes about an hour to cut. The 42" deck I had was just
about right so I want to stick with that. I mulch so power can be and
issue (it takes a lot more power to mulch).
I have looked around a bit and three machines have caught my eye.
Of the MTD bunch, I like Cub Cadet LT1042. I also saw a nice
Husqvarna and a John Deere. All are in the $1600-$1700 range.
I would appreciate recommendations on engine type/brand/HP and
especially comments on lawn tractor brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Photon713

Can't speak for the others, but, I purchased a John Deere, LT155,
15HP, 42" mulching mower. It use to take me 1 hour to cut my
1+ acre lawn and 1 hour to bag the clippings. My trash service
would only pick up 9 bags of clippings, not to exceed 40 pounds
each, each Thursday. I usually ended up with 15. By purchasing my
JD, I now save myself the hour and dealing with the clippings.
I've had it for four years and haven't had a single problem.
I purchase a tune-up kit every spring. I love this tractor.

Good Luck...Bob

--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

wrote in message
[...]

You might consider getting a robot to do it for you.
http://www.robomower.us/modelrl1000.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

wrote in message
[...]

Don't see short the Craftsman line. No snob appeal but mine is starting its
22 year. OTOH, it's a garden tractor so it's bound to be built a lot
heavier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Photon713 wrote:
Can't speak for the others, but, I purchased a John Deere, LT155,
15HP, 42" mulching mower. It use to take me 1 hour to cut my
1+ acre lawn and 1 hour to bag the clippings. My trash service
would only pick up 9 bags of clippings, not to exceed 40 pounds
each, each Thursday. I usually ended up with 15. By purchasing my
JD, I now save myself the hour and dealing with the clippings.

You also save on fertilizer and you are adding mulch.

[...]

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

Zero turn is out of the picture. I can't bring myself to pay $1000
more ($2600) than I would pay for a decent tractor type ($1600),

Electric. $200. No more maintenance problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:48:19 GMT, "Chuck B."

I got tired of nursing along my old rider and gave it away. I was
sure I wanted a Kohler engine this time out but I see Briggs now has a
fully pressurized lube model which seems popular and now I am not so
sure.
cially comments on lawn tractor brands.

I have had my John Deere for 3 years and no problems. I got the L110
model and had them put the high back seat on it. Makes a difference in
the comfort column. I have over 1 acre and it takes me about 1 hour to
cut/mulch. All my neighbors now have the John Deere. Seems very popular
here in Florida. Good luck.... Chuck

=================
I am ON my second Lawn Tractor...its now 12 years old..

My original tractor lasted 20+ years before the tires dry rotted, and
the deck rusted out. cost to replace those items was almost the price
of a new tractor... so I replaced it... even though it ran just
fine...

Both :International Cub Cadet..both purchased from a "real" Farm
supply company with on site mechanics... .

That said... John Deere, Simplicity, Gravley, etc should also last
many many years....and NO I would not buy a Deere or a Cub from Home
Depot...

..... Write a big check once and forget about it ...

Bob G.