Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lettering on metal

This is an art type project. I have a 4" (1/4 inch thick) piece or art
metal that I cut in the shape or a Lauburu. This is the Basque national
symbol. Sort of a swastika but with rounded lobes instead of sharp right
angles.

Anyway, I need to put three initials on it, about 3/4 inch high. Stick
welding it on would be too crude, especially considering my lack of
technique. Stamping it would not work since the biggest stamp set I own is
3/8 inch high.

Here is one thought. Print the letters (fancy font) on paper, glue to metal
and coat the rest of the metal with some form of resist. Peel off paper and
either solder or melt lead onto the un-resistant lettered areas. When done
I could either brush it so the letters are bright, or, gild it with gold.

Need help with resist and flux to use.

Not at all married to the above technique. ANY OTHER IDEAS would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:21:05 +0000, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

Take it to a trophy shop for suggestions and possible quote.

RLM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

For a mere three letters, I'd just buy suitable metal letters from a
sign shop, epoxy them on and be done with it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

As DIY option, laser print the letters onto a sheet of stick on mylar,
apply to the item, cutout the letters with an exacto knife, and then
sand/media blast through the mask.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you have a mill, some letters easily lend themselves to being
milled. IVAN is a good example. ROBERT is a bad example.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
[...]

What is the metal?

How prominent does the lettering need to be?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Have your letters or symbol cut by someone with a CNC plasma or laser table,
drill a hole though your piece and spotweld from the back or epoxy in place.
I found this symbol online and digitized it and saved it as a .dxf file. If
you need a copy let me know or I could cut it for you.
Steve
speterATwcta.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Use stencil, brush-plate with metal of contrasting color.- Hide quoted text -

Or, use the stencil as a mask and lightly sandblast.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cut them by hand with engraver's tools. Three letters wouldn't be too
bad. Use one of the typefaces made for engraving.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am not sure that you will be able to get the solder or lead into the
spaces left by the peeled-ff letters accurately.

I have tried similar method when making sundials:
I got a set of stick-on letters, stuck them on the face of the dial, sprayed
the whole thing with paint and then peeled off the numbers. I then etched
the whole thing with Ferric Chloride. The big problem was that whatever glue
there is left behind from the stick-on letters it acts as an effective
resist and screws up the results. Cleaning up the glue with acetone is
difficult - sometimes you cannot see it, sometimes you remove the paint with
the glue.

I then tried the opposite: Stick on the letters (the face is sanded to 400
grit first) and use them as a resist, etch away all the rest. This produces
an interesting effect on steel. The letters are shiny and the rest looks
sand-blasted. There are few issues with this which I am working on.

If you only have 3 letters to do it is not unreasonable to cut them out from
whatever metal you choose and stick them on with JB Weld. This holds really
well particularly if there is no structural load. I have learned to do this
as heat from soldering/brazing/welding has a rather unpredictable effect on
the final appearance of the piece.

Hope this helps,

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

I'll go look for letters. This could work. Of course, for a mere three
letters, I could also cut them out of thing metal sheet, be it copper, brass
or stainless. I have a die filer and could file to shape.

Thanks Pete,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

I will definitely experiment with media blasting. Obviously, on a sample
piece. I wonder how much contrast I could achieve?

Thanks again Pete!

Ivan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-04, Pete C. wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

Iggy, I always wondered how much dexterity it would take on a mill (I do
have one) to slowly operate both handwheels and do, say for example, a
letter "O". This is where CNC would be wonderful! I will experiment.

Thanks Iggy

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Thanks speter! I already made a dxf. file of this over a year ago. I
already made one out of sheet metal, 2 feet across and 3-4 inches thick. I
made two sets of 'blades' two feet across, distressed and gave them a slight
twist on an english wheel, positioned them opposite each other and welded on
'edging', 3-4 inches thick. This became the main graphic on a decorative
iron gate for a friend. I am now making a latch assembly and the smaller
Lauburu's in questions will become the doornobs.

I will try and see how much somebody with a CNC would charge to cut the
letters.

Thanks speter,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Cut the letters out of whatever metal and attach them with screws.

Pete Stanaitis

Probably the most practical and artsy idea.

Thanks Pete

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"TheAndroid" wrote in message
Use stencil, brush-plate with metal of contrasting color.- Hide quoted
text -

Or, use the stencil as a mask and lightly sandblast.

I'm playing with sandblasting to see what contrast I can achieve.

Thanks TheAndroid

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
Cut them by hand with engraver's tools. Three letters wouldn't be too
bad. Use one of the typefaces made for engraving.

John Martin

John, are you suggesting that the metal engraving field has special
typefaces? Didn't know.

Can I make my own engraving tools out of HSP? I do have some pieces that
are way too big to ever become a lathe tool for my size lathe.

Thanks John,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I am not sure that you will be able to get the solder or lead into the
spaces left by the peeled-ff letters accurately.

I have tried similar method when making sundials:
I got a set of stick-on letters, stuck them on the face of the dial,
sprayed the whole thing with paint and then peeled off the numbers. I then
etched the whole thing with Ferric Chloride. The big problem was that
whatever glue there is left behind from the stick-on letters it acts as an
effective resist and screws up the results. Cleaning up the glue with
acetone is difficult - sometimes you cannot see it, sometimes you remove
the paint with the glue.

What if I tried just the opposite. Glue on a mask (after all this is only
4± inches) wherein the three initials would be holes within the mask. Holes
would not have any glue or other stuff on them. Would that allow me to add
flux and then solder?

If you only have 3 letters to do it is not unreasonable to cut them out
from whatever metal you choose and stick them on with JB Weld. This holds
really well particularly if there is no structural load. I have learned to
do this as heat from soldering/brazing/welding has a rather unpredictable
effect on the final appearance of the piece.

I will be trying to cut the letters from brass.

Thanks Michael, good ideas.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-04, Pete C. wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

I did a perfect circle using handwheels and turning them by precisely
calculated amounts. It was, in fact, my first milling project.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...ian-Style-CNC/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 03:54:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

"John Martin" wrote in message
Cut them by hand with engraver's tools. Three letters wouldn't be too
bad. Use one of the typefaces made for engraving.

John Martin

John, are you suggesting that the metal engraving field has special
typefaces? Didn't know.

Can I make my own engraving tools out of HSP? I do have some pieces that
are way too big to ever become a lathe tool for my size lathe.

What's HSP? High speed potmetal? g

--
Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what
to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

s n i p

Anyway, I need to put three initials on it, about 3/4 inch high. Stick
welding it on would be too crude, especially considering my lack of
technique. Stamping it would not work since the biggest stamp set I own is
3/8 inch high.

s n i p

Ivan Vegvary

Ivan,

You mentioned *your* *stick* welding would be kind of crude. How about someone else's *tig* welding. Many tig welders can get pretty narrow and adjusting the current might give you just enough depth, etc. Have someone practice on a similar piece of material to demonstrate some adjustments. You just may find what you want in one of them.

I've heard of welding beer cans together with a tig rig....probably one that gets down in the 1 - 5 amp range. Some of the Lincoln Precision Tig rigs come down to 2 amps. http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ature/e342.pdf One of the racing teams depends heavily on one of the Precision Tig models.

Al
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 03:54:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

"John Martin" wrote in message
Cut them by hand with engraver's tools. Three letters wouldn't be too
bad. Use one of the typefaces made for engraving.

John Martin

John, are you suggesting that the metal engraving field has special
typefaces? Didn't know.

Can I make my own engraving tools out of HSP? I do have some pieces that
are way too big to ever become a lathe tool for my size lathe.

What's HSP? High speed potmetal? g

HSP is bad typing. I meant HSS, high speed steel.
I would still like to know what YOU know about special fonts and engraving
tools.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am still not sure about lead and solder through a mask.
One method which I intend to try out in the near future is to mask as you do
and *electroplate* the letters in copper. But that is a whole different set
of skills.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC