Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

Default Lettering on metal

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 16:21:05 +0000, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

This is an art type project. I have a 4" (1/4 inch thick) piece or art
metal that I cut in the shape or a Lauburu. This is the Basque national
symbol. Sort of a swastika but with rounded lobes instead of sharp right
angles.

Anyway, I need to put three initials on it, about 3/4 inch high. Stick
welding it on would be too crude, especially considering my lack of
technique. Stamping it would not work since the biggest stamp set I own is
3/8 inch high.

Here is one thought. Print the letters (fancy font) on paper, glue to metal
and coat the rest of the metal with some form of resist. Peel off paper and
either solder or melt lead onto the un-resistant lettered areas. When done
I could either brush it so the letters are bright, or, gild it with gold.

Need help with resist and flux to use.

Not at all married to the above technique. ANY OTHER IDEAS would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Take it to a trophy shop for suggestions and possible quote.

RLM