Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Lettering on metal

"Pete C." wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

This is an art type project. I have a 4" (1/4 inch thick) piece or art
metal that I cut in the shape or a Lauburu. This is the Basque
national
symbol. Sort of a swastika but with rounded lobes instead of sharp
right
angles.

Anyway, I need to put three initials on it, about 3/4 inch high. Stick
welding it on would be too crude, especially considering my lack of
technique. Stamping it would not work since the biggest stamp set I
own is
3/8 inch high.

Here is one thought. Print the letters (fancy font) on paper, glue to
metal
and coat the rest of the metal with some form of resist. Peel off
paper and
either solder or melt lead onto the un-resistant lettered areas. When
done
I could either brush it so the letters are bright, or, gild it with
gold.

Need help with resist and flux to use.

Not at all married to the above technique. ANY OTHER IDEAS would be
greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

For a mere three letters, I'd just buy suitable metal letters from a
sign shop, epoxy them on and be done with it.

As DIY option, laser print the letters onto a sheet of stick on mylar,
apply to the item, cutout the letters with an exacto knife, and then
sand/media blast through the mask.

I will definitely experiment with media blasting. Obviously, on a sample
piece. I wonder how much contrast I could achieve?

Thanks again Pete!

Ivan