Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20845 Ignoramus20845 is offline

Default Lettering on metal

On 2008-04-05, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Ignoramus20845" wrote in message
If you have a mill, some letters easily lend themselves to being
milled. IVAN is a good example. ROBERT is a bad example.

On 2008-04-04, Pete C. wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

This is an art type project. I have a 4" (1/4 inch thick) piece or art
metal that I cut in the shape or a Lauburu. This is the Basque national
symbol. Sort of a swastika but with rounded lobes instead of sharp
right
angles.

Anyway, I need to put three initials on it, about 3/4 inch high. Stick
welding it on would be too crude, especially considering my lack of
technique. Stamping it would not work since the biggest stamp set I own
is
3/8 inch high.

Here is one thought. Print the letters (fancy font) on paper, glue to
metal
and coat the rest of the metal with some form of resist. Peel off paper
and
either solder or melt lead onto the un-resistant lettered areas. When
done
I could either brush it so the letters are bright, or, gild it with
gold.

Need help with resist and flux to use.

Not at all married to the above technique. ANY OTHER IDEAS would be
greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

For a mere three letters, I'd just buy suitable metal letters from a
sign shop, epoxy them on and be done with it.

Iggy, I always wondered how much dexterity it would take on a mill (I do
have one) to slowly operate both handwheels and do, say for example, a
letter "O". This is where CNC would be wonderful! I will experiment.

I did a perfect circle using handwheels and turning them by precisely
calculated amounts. It was, in fact, my first milling project.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-B...ian-Style-CNC/