Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default Lettering on metal

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

s n i p

Anyway, I need to put three initials on it, about 3/4 inch high. Stick
welding it on would be too crude, especially considering my lack of
technique. Stamping it would not work since the biggest stamp set I own is
3/8 inch high.

s n i p

Ivan Vegvary

Ivan,

You mentioned *your* *stick* welding would be kind of crude. How about someone else's *tig* welding. Many tig welders can get pretty narrow and adjusting the current might give you just enough depth, etc. Have someone practice on a similar piece of material to demonstrate some adjustments. You just may find what you want in one of them.

I've heard of welding beer cans together with a tig rig....probably one that gets down in the 1 - 5 amp range. Some of the Lincoln Precision Tig rigs come down to 2 amps. http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ature/e342.pdf One of the racing teams depends heavily on one of the Precision Tig models.

Al