Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT capping a tube of silicone caulk

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

Heavy aluminum foil isn't too bad. Whatever it is, it must be
impervious to moisture and CO2.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

b.w.

Resinite aka plastic film wrap. Some works better than others,
notice I didn't say Saran or Glad... /mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:32:51 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

RTV style or latex?

For latex I slip a push on cap over the end that usually
comes with the tube and then wrap it with electric tape
(duct tape sucks for anything longer than a week or two).
Pull and stretch good in a warm environment (the tape).
Store in a cool location like an unheated basement, but not
where it can freeze. I've kept tubes like this for going on
5 years now no problem.

RTV style just doesn't store super well. I've had the best
luck keeping it in a cool, dark location. These were just
the small screw top tubes. Do not over tighten the top or
the cap will split and then...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

http://www.littleredcap.com/

A miniature condom just the right size for caulk tube nozzles. They'll
keep Alex tubes usable for months, silicone for weeks, at least twice
as long as any other methods I've tried. I usually re-use the previous
one, and then put a new one over it for good measure.

They still fit after you cut the tube back to the large diameter part
so you can force a hardened plug out of the end.

Hmmm... They say, "Note: For long term storage of any caulking or
adhesive, lay tubes horizontally or slightly tip down." I wonder what
the reason for that is? I've been keeping mine tip up - I'll have to
try following instructions.

Loren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

I wonder if you put some acetic acid aka vineger or stop bath if a photo guy
in the cap before capping if it would slow down the hardening?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 19, 1:32 pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

b.w.

I've been using glad press and seal. Seems to work with everything
I've put in my caulk gun, though I can't remember if I've used silicon
caulk since I started doing that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a
used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the
nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

Heavy aluminum foil isn't too bad. Whatever it is, it must be
impervious to moisture and CO2.

Joe Gwinn

We just put a two-and-a-half inch deck screw in there, and let it
harden. Next time, grab the head with your vise grips and pull it like
a wine cork. Of course, we do Stainless commercial kitchen welding and
repair and may use more Aluminum caulk than a private user. Maybe this
technique is bad for long-term storage... YMMV.

-j
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

b.w.

I usually run a drywall screw, or some such, down the spout. When I
need to use it again I just unscrew it and it's ready.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 19, 2:56 pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

We just put a two-and-a-half inch deck screw in there, and let it
harden. Next time, grab the head with your vise grips and pull it like
a wine cork. Of course, we do Stainless commercial kitchen welding and
repair and may use more Aluminum caulk than a private user. Maybe this
technique is bad for long-term storage... YMMV.

-j

That's what I do. A long deck screw, pulled out next time and
turfed. New deck screw each time. Put it in, wiggle it around and turn
it some to make sure the threads are filled with the silicone.
Next use, pull slowly, give it time to pull the silicone plug
out or you'll strip it.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 20, 6:32 am, "William Wixon" wrote:
just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

b.w.

Yep - if its the big tubes that have a nozzle on them that goes into a
frame type gun - screw in a 4 inch self drilling screw(yes) with lots
of thread - the type used to fix particleboard,wallboard etc. Works
well - it stops air getting into it, so it doesnt set.....

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-19, Wes wrote:
"William Wixon" wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

I wonder if you put some acetic acid aka vineger or stop bath if a photo guy
in the cap before capping if it would slow down the hardening?

IIRC, acetic acid is the accelerator for some versions of RTV,
so that would be counterproductive for those versions.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

William Wixon wrote in article
just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open

tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some

other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk

from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a

used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the

nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even

work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

b.w.

I've had good luck using electrical wire nuts as screw-on caps........
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk?

I use a ~300 mm long x 3mm brass welding rod pushed into the tube as
far as it will go. I normally cut the dispenser end to about a 3mm
diameter hole so the rod is a snug fit. Even if the caulk has
hardened in the dispenser tube, removing the rod leaves a hole right
back to the moving end to allow the soft caulk to exit.

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A poster inquired about sealing partially used caulk tubes and to this I
say:
I am A building engineer for a large police department.
I have A vacuum food sealer that I found at work. (Former drug dealer
no longer needed it as his new address is the gray bar hotel) It was
heading to the trash tank so I took it home. Works for all kinds of
things. Bag up used caulk tubes, paint cans. machine tools. Anything you
don't want air or moisture to get to. Wally World sells A small one for
10 bucks or so. I don't know if it will pull enough of a vacuum for a
caulk tube though. The one I have sells at Fleet-Farm for about A 100
bucks.
Buy one for the 'ol lady and use it when she's not looking!

Good Luck.
H.R.
"If the facts don't fit the theory,change the facts"
Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Loren Amelang wrote:

http://www.littleredcap.com/

Lee valley sells these as well. They've worked well for me.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=45858&cat=2,42194,40727

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.

Richard Feynman.(1918-1988)
Personal Observations on the Reliability of the (Space) Shuttle.

Help! Help! Silicone caulk Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 13 September 22nd 07 01:08 PM
silicone caulk Patt Home Repair 3 June 26th 06 03:26 PM
silicone caulk MKnott Home Repair 1 November 23rd 05 12:32 AM
The dangers of Silicone Caulk John H. Home Repair 5 July 29th 05 04:54 AM
Removing silicone caulk Roger Home Repair 2 September 27th 04 02:58 PM