Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default OT capping a tube of silicone caulk

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:32:51 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle. a while ago i saw a thing in a handyman's
magazine, the guy would cut a hole big enough to insert the nozzle in a used
35mm film canister and fill the canister w/ grease and put it on the nozzle.
i tried this a couple times and it was a huge mess and it didn't even work.
just wondering if there's a handy convenient way of preventing the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

RTV style or latex?

For latex I slip a push on cap over the end that usually
comes with the tube and then wrap it with electric tape
(duct tape sucks for anything longer than a week or two).
Pull and stretch good in a warm environment (the tape).
Store in a cool location like an unheated basement, but not
where it can freeze. I've kept tubes like this for going on
5 years now no problem.

RTV style just doesn't store super well. I've had the best
luck keeping it in a cool, dark location. These were just
the small screw top tubes. Do not over tighten the top or
the cap will split and then...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b