Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Loren Amelang Loren Amelang is offline

Default OT capping a tube of silicone caulk

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:32:51 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

just wondering, is there a good technique out there for capping a open tube
of silicone caulk? i usually put on a couple layers of duct (or some other
plastic) tape. the caps that come with the tubes don't prevent the caulk
from hardening in the nozzle.

http://www.littleredcap.com/

A miniature condom just the right size for caulk tube nozzles. They'll
keep Alex tubes usable for months, silicone for weeks, at least twice
as long as any other methods I've tried. I usually re-use the previous
one, and then put a new one over it for good measure.

They still fit after you cut the tube back to the large diameter part
so you can force a hardened plug out of the end.

Hmmm... They say, "Note: For long term storage of any caulking or
adhesive, lay tubes horizontally or slightly tip down." I wonder what
the reason for that is? I've been keeping mine tip up - I'll have to
try following instructions.

Loren