Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing 5914 -- removal of 5C collet holder

I finally got the 5C collet holder out of the 5914 spindle. The
approach was a combination of using the aluminum spindle nose protector
to put pressure on the holder and a piece of 1" black iron pipe from the
back, hit with a big steel hammer.

What gives on the nose protector is the threads, I think. The first few
threads on mine are broken off, and have been that way for some time.

The holder was caught by a wooden dowel held in the tailstock chuck,
with a rag tied around the dowel, thus protecting the ways and the
holder.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I finally got the 5C collet holder out of the 5914 spindle. The
approach was a combination of using the aluminum spindle nose protector
to put pressure on the holder and a piece of 1" black iron pipe from the
back, hit with a big steel hammer.

What gives on the nose protector is the threads, I think. The first few
threads on mine are broken off, and have been that way for some time.

The holder was caught by a wooden dowel held in the tailstock chuck,
with a rag tied around the dowel, thus protecting the ways and the
holder.

Joe Gwinn

That works... I've never had problems removing mine with just the nose
piece, maybe its time to rethink methods before mine looses threads.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I finally got the 5C collet holder out of the 5914 spindle. The
approach was a combination of using the aluminum spindle nose protector
to put pressure on the holder and a piece of 1" black iron pipe from the
back, hit with a big steel hammer.

What gives on the nose protector is the threads, I think. The first few
threads on mine are broken off, and have been that way for some time.

The holder was caught by a wooden dowel held in the tailstock chuck,
with a rag tied around the dowel, thus protecting the ways and the
holder.

Joe Gwinn

Is your collet holder a 4 1/2 MT - 5C adaptor?

If you could, would you post a few views of the nose protector? I'm going
to need to make one as soon as I get my lathe going. I'm assuming you have
a L00 spindle.

I have a 6903 that I'm currently rebuilding the vari drive sheaves to get
the original system working. Sadly, I've not made a lot of progress
recently but I'm going to get right on in again soon.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Wes
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I finally got the 5C collet holder out of the 5914 spindle. The
approach was a combination of using the aluminum spindle nose protector
to put pressure on the holder and a piece of 1" black iron pipe from the
back, hit with a big steel hammer.

What gives on the nose protector is the threads, I think. The first few
threads on mine are broken off, and have been that way for some time.

The holder was caught by a wooden dowel held in the tailstock chuck,
with a rag tied around the dowel, thus protecting the ways and the
holder.

Joe Gwinn

Is your collet holder a 4 1/2 MT - 5C adaptor?

I have no idea. How would one tell? It is a simple steel sleeve that
accepts 5C collets and sits in the female taper of the spindle, and has
no involvement with the L00 taper. Is that female spindle taper MT 4.5?
I guess that's the implication.

If you could, would you post a few views of the nose protector? I'm going
to need to make one as soon as I get my lathe going. I'm assuming you have
a L00 spindle.

I can photograph it, probably this weekend. I don't think that the
dimensions are critical, except for the part that mates to the L00 taper
and thread ring. It might be useful to make the threaded part longer,
to aid with removal of the collet holder. I think too much stress ends
up on too few threads with the current design. Maybe make it of steel
too.

I do have a L00 spindle.

I have a 6903 that I'm currently rebuilding the vari drive sheaves to get
the original system working. Sadly, I've not made a lot of progress
recently but I'm going to get right on in again soon.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

This might be a good candidate for reworking the lathe for direct drive
from a VFD-controlled motor, as described by Paul. His photos are in
the dropbox, at 5904_vfd.txt et seq. It could be less total trouble
than repairing the assembly (which costs $800 from Clausing).

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article , Wes
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[snip]

Is your collet holder a 4 1/2 MT - 5C adaptor?

I have no idea. How would one tell? It is a simple steel sleeve that
accepts 5C collets and sits in the female taper of the spindle, and has
no involvement with the L00 taper. Is that female spindle taper MT 4.5?
I guess that's the implication.

I bet that is a 4.5 MT. (There are variants)

If you could, would you post a few views of the nose protector? I'm going
to need to make one as soon as I get my lathe going. I'm assuming you have
a L00 spindle.

I can photograph it, probably this weekend. I don't think that the
dimensions are critical, except for the part that mates to the L00 taper
and thread ring. It might be useful to make the threaded part longer,
to aid with removal of the collet holder. I think too much stress ends
up on too few threads with the current design. Maybe make it of steel
too.

Pictures would be great when you can get to them.

I have a 6903 that I'm currently rebuilding the vari drive sheaves to get
the original system working. Sadly, I've not made a lot of progress
recently but I'm going to get right on in again soon.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

This might be a good candidate for reworking the lathe for direct drive
from a VFD-controlled motor, as described by Paul. His photos are in
the dropbox, at 5904_vfd.txt et seq. It could be less total trouble
than repairing the assembly (which costs $800 from Clausing).

I saw that, Paul did a nice job of it. I already have bushings, moglice,
and other stuff to fix it so I'm going to continue on my current path.

Thanks,

Wes