Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Clausing 5914 -- removal of 5C collet holder

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I finally got the 5C collet holder out of the 5914 spindle. The
approach was a combination of using the aluminum spindle nose protector
to put pressure on the holder and a piece of 1" black iron pipe from the
back, hit with a big steel hammer.

What gives on the nose protector is the threads, I think. The first few
threads on mine are broken off, and have been that way for some time.

The holder was caught by a wooden dowel held in the tailstock chuck,
with a rag tied around the dowel, thus protecting the ways and the
holder.

Joe Gwinn

That works... I've never had problems removing mine with just the nose
piece, maybe its time to rethink methods before mine looses threads.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.