Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Clausing 5914 -- removal of 5C collet holder

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I finally got the 5C collet holder out of the 5914 spindle. The
approach was a combination of using the aluminum spindle nose protector
to put pressure on the holder and a piece of 1" black iron pipe from the
back, hit with a big steel hammer.

What gives on the nose protector is the threads, I think. The first few
threads on mine are broken off, and have been that way for some time.

The holder was caught by a wooden dowel held in the tailstock chuck,
with a rag tied around the dowel, thus protecting the ways and the
holder.

Joe Gwinn

Is your collet holder a 4 1/2 MT - 5C adaptor?

If you could, would you post a few views of the nose protector? I'm going
to need to make one as soon as I get my lathe going. I'm assuming you have
a L00 spindle.

I have a 6903 that I'm currently rebuilding the vari drive sheaves to get
the original system working. Sadly, I've not made a lot of progress
recently but I'm going to get right on in again soon.

http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Wes