Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping tom Gardner! OT how to cut nylon brush:-)

Tom, I am a refrigeration serviceman and this problem has come up a couple
of times and each time we just muddled thru it and got a fair job of fixing
it. Here it is. Some commercial walk-in-cooler door mfg use a nylon or
similiar bristle brush for the bottom door wiper gasket (to keep the cold
air in). The problem is that the concrete floors we set these doors on are
very seldom level and the mfg provides a whopping1/8" or so adjustment on
the wiper gasket. By now you see the door opens, but does not close because
the bristles are bent and jam the door open. The only way the door will
close is by nudging it. To remove the wiper assy. makes the doors look
terrible and since there is no way of gaining more adjustment I trim the
bristles about 1/8"- 1/4" and this fixes it. The problem is I can barely cut
them with electricians side cutters. Tried tin snips, sharp scissors etc. to
no avail. There has got to be a better way. I spent 2 hours today trimming
about a 3' door wiper and both hands are sore. The bristles are about 1/8"
thick and 3/8" tall and crimped in an aluminum channel. I think if you could
clamp them in a metal break and score it with a utility knive they would
cut. The problem is you can't hold them still. Any ideas?
Thanks for any input you or anyone else can provide.
Lyndell
P.S. Did I mention that with good quality almost new side cutters I can only
cut about 1/8" section at a time? I don't know if it is nylon or what. May
teflon? :-) Brown to black color bristles. I am looking for a way to do this
in the field, short of taking a tablesaw or something on the job. More
specifically: I am looking for a miracle !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dog toenail clippers.

These have a hole you can insert the bristle into and squeeze the handle.

See: http://www.gundogsupply.com/-747-.html as an example.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about clamping with a board on either side - keep brush held.
And use a cutoff saw or angle grinder with a cutoff blade.

Might melt - but maybe a slower cutting - a slitting (small tooth) ? blade...

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

Try cable cutters. I like the plain ones fom Klein, as listed below:

http://www.allsparestools.com/Produc...=2&Sku=KT63050

The blades are curved on both sides so slippery things like plastic don't
slide away, like with tin snips.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

How about an electric hot knife like the kind used to cut foam. The manufacturer runs the strip brushes
through a rotary cutter, not exactly applicable in the field.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
[...]

Hot wire foam cutter would do it easily.
http://www.ehobbies.com/woost1435.html
http://www.hhhh.org/~joeboy/resource...am_cutter.html
http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/home.php
http://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/construct...irecutter.aspx

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Dog toenail clippers.

These have a hole you can insert the bristle into and squeeze the handle.

See: http://www.gundogsupply.com/-747-.html as an example.

--

Also if you removed the assembly from the door, clamped it between two
sheets of plywood with a sheet of soft rubber perhaps, a skill saw would

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

P.S. Did I mention that with good quality almost new side cutters I can only
cut about 1/8" section at a time? I don't know if it is nylon or what. May
teflon? :-) Brown to black color bristles. I am looking for a way to do this
in the field, short of taking a tablesaw or something on the job. More
specifically: I am looking for a miracle !

Rather than using side cutters, consider "hard wire cutters" with a
bypass cut. You may not need the "hard" aspect so much, but they would
do nicely and better than side cutters, IMHO. Perhaps/probably available
elsewhere, I got mine from a jewelry supply place, $15 or so. The shape
of the cutter does not let the wire being cut skitter away.

You might also apply your brain to the alternate solution of figuring
something to provide more adjustment in the attachment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all for the helpful hints. I may try all of these to see what
works best. I may have enough stuff around to build a wire cutter. Thanks
again.
Lyndell

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lyndell Thompson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ran into something similar.

Used a SHARP wood chisel and a mallet and cut on top of a piece of
scrap wood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Excellant !! That is something already on the truck. Will give it a shot.
Thanks Lyndell

"beecrofter" wrote in message
Ran into something similar.

Used a SHARP wood chisel and a mallet and cut on top of a piece of
scrap wood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

beecrofter wrote:

Ran into something similar.

Used a SHARP wood chisel and a mallet and cut on top of a piece of
scrap wood.

That one sounds like a winner.

End cutting pliers might be an option too. I was going to show a link but
but Channellocks Macromedia server is down. A freaking jpg would have
worked fine. Bah!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:14:37 -0500, Wes wrote:

beecrofter wrote:

Ran into something similar.

Used a SHARP wood chisel and a mallet and cut on top of a piece of
scrap wood.

That one sounds like a winner.

End cutting pliers might be an option too. I was going to show a link but
but Channellocks Macromedia server is down. A freaking jpg would have
worked fine. Bah!

Wes

I'd bet that the tile nippers with compound leverage that I paid a
quarter for last summer would do a good but slow job.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

beecrofter wrote:

Ran into something similar.

Used a SHARP wood chisel and a mallet and cut on top of a piece of
scrap wood.

That one sounds like a winner.

End cutting pliers might be an option too. I was going to show a link but
but Channellocks Macromedia server is down. A freaking jpg would have
worked fine. Bah!

Wes

I'd bet that the tile nippers with compound leverage that I paid a
quarter for last summer would do a good but slow job.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Or a handheld, blade and anvil type cutter as sold for cutting
plumbing pipe.

A little more work, but portable.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-30, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:14:37 -0500, Wes wrote:

[ ... ]

End cutting pliers might be an option too. I was going to show a link but
but Channellocks Macromedia server is down. A freaking jpg would have
worked fine. Bah!

[ ... ]

I'd bet that the tile nippers with compound leverage that I paid a
quarter for last summer would do a good but slow job.

In particular, the compound-leverage wire nippers from Starrett
would do an excellent job. They even have the option of carbide jaws
for use cutting a lot of music wire.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

PING: Tom Gardner Anthony Metalworking 0 April 13th 06 10:35 PM
Ping Tom Gardner Gunner Metalworking 1 February 12th 06 03:05 AM
What kind of grease for nylon/nylon and nylon/metal lubrication? Peter UK diy 7 July 7th 05 02:59 PM
ATTN: Tom Gardner.................. Roy Metalworking 18 December 9th 04 05:17 PM
Ping Tom Gardner Gunner Metalworking 5 December 1st 04 06:47 PM