Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping tom Gardner! OT how to cut nylon brush:-)

How about clamping with a board on either side - keep brush held.
And use a cutoff saw or angle grinder with a cutoff blade.

Might melt - but maybe a slower cutting - a slitting (small tooth) ? blade...

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
Tom, I am a refrigeration serviceman and this problem has come up a couple
of times and each time we just muddled thru it and got a fair job of fixing
it. Here it is. Some commercial walk-in-cooler door mfg use a nylon or
similiar bristle brush for the bottom door wiper gasket (to keep the cold
air in). The problem is that the concrete floors we set these doors on are
very seldom level and the mfg provides a whopping1/8" or so adjustment on
the wiper gasket. By now you see the door opens, but does not close because
the bristles are bent and jam the door open. The only way the door will
close is by nudging it. To remove the wiper assy. makes the doors look
terrible and since there is no way of gaining more adjustment I trim the
bristles about 1/8"- 1/4" and this fixes it. The problem is I can barely cut
them with electricians side cutters. Tried tin snips, sharp scissors etc. to
no avail. There has got to be a better way. I spent 2 hours today trimming
about a 3' door wiper and both hands are sore. The bristles are about 1/8"
thick and 3/8" tall and crimped in an aluminum channel. I think if you could
clamp them in a metal break and score it with a utility knive they would
cut. The problem is you can't hold them still. Any ideas?
Thanks for any input you or anyone else can provide.
Lyndell
P.S. Did I mention that with good quality almost new side cutters I can only
cut about 1/8" section at a time? I don't know if it is nylon or what. May
teflon? :-) Brown to black color bristles. I am looking for a way to do this
in the field, short of taking a tablesaw or something on the job. More
specifically: I am looking for a miracle !