Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Awright, McGiver types

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 06:56:36 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:09:24 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

I'll take that nasty old jazz or classical anytime. Especially the
baroque.

Harold

First LP record I ever bought was in 1965. Dave Brubeck Take Five.

Steve

I seem to remember a 78 of "I walk the line" - mid '50's?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Certainly not Brubeck------but it does evoke memories of Johnny Cash, an
excellent performer, at least in my opinion.

Harold

That was my first earned cash that I spent on a record player that I
plugged in to an RCA jack that I installed on an old table radio
someone had given to me. (We only got electric lights in 1949, before
that we had a crank up phonograph.)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

I'll take that nasty old jazz or classical anytime. Especially the
baroque.

Harold

First LP record I ever bought was in 1965. Dave Brubeck Take Five.

Steve

We've had our differences in the past, Steve, but you just grew in
stature, at least in my eyes. I thrive on his music, particularly the
old quartet, which included Dave, piano, Paul Desmond (deceased) alto
sax, Eugene Wright (a true gentleman if there ever was one) string base
and Joe Morello, drums. You may know that this quartet was disbanded in
'67.

By the way, the grand old gentleman turned 87 years old today----and he's
still touring, although on a limited basis. I've met and talked to him
on several occasions. He is, without a doubt, one of the finest human
beings I've ever encountered.

Harold

And now for a promotion ............ how about Stan Getz and Astrud
Gilberto? (sp)Getz/Gilberto and a mix of excellent musicians, steamy female
vocals, hot rhythms, exotic instruments, and the lovely Portugese language.
Very listenble stimulating music. Know whut uh mean, Vern?

I have a New Year resolution. That's to try to stick to topics in
newsgroups and avoid entanglements. There's too many good things to talk
about to get into those discussions.

BTW, I never considered you an adversary. We just had some different ways
of doing things and looking at things. Your posts have always been full of
knowledge, experience and instruction. Very much so compared to some of the
wannabes in the newsgroup.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

Certainly not Brubeck------but it does evoke memories of Johnny Cash, an
excellent performer, at least in my opinion.

Harold

Was a fan all my life, but didn't really know the man until the movie.
Great biopic, and two outstanding performances by lead man and lady.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-07, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

As a kid, I'd use a single strand of copper wire and a low voltage high
amperage source ( I used to use an old tube type power supply from a radio,
but a 6 or 12 volt battery (think auto or garden tractor) would serve very
well). I'd pluck the single strand from something like appliance cord, then
hook it to heavier wire. No need for anything more, although a match head
would certainly provide insurance of ignition.

The single strand will glow red and burn in half, much like a fuse. I used
to fire home made cannon that way, using home made black powder. Worked
every time.

When I wanted to set something off remotely, I would take some
Jetex solid fuel rocket motor fuse (which had a single-strand copper
wire core) double it, strip the ends and connect to heavier gauge wires
to run to where I was going to fire it. I used a once per second cam
switch, a countdown Veeder-Root style counter which closed a switch at
all 0's, and a Lionel electric train transformer. Throw a switch (which
kept the feed to the fuse shorted for safety until I was ready to fire),
push a button, and watch it count down to 0000 and then fire whatever it
was that I was lighting.

Of course, that was years ago, and in a different state. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Getz (tenor sax), along with Gerry Mulligan, (baritone sax) both now
deceased, were always amongst my favorites. I've never been a fan of
vocalists, with rare exception (Ella--and a chosen few), but I have to
agree, that's a very pleasant sound. Yes, it resides in my music
collection, and is still played on occasion. Getz was magnificent.

I have a New Year resolution. That's to try to stick to topics in
newsgroups and avoid entanglements. There's too many good things to talk
about to get into those discussions.

I'm funny in that I have no problem with straying from the topic of
machining, and enjoy talking about the fun things in life equally as well as
OT subject matters. What I don't enjoy is mindless **** that so many can't
leave alone----or religion----which I abhor, and I'm not nuts about
political discussions. There are no politicians today----just narrow minded
assholes that are hell bent on their own agendas, to hell with the good of
the people. There is no point in discussing politics, for you can't rely
on any of them to live by their statements.

BTW, I never considered you an adversary. We just had some different ways
of doing things and looking at things. Your posts have always been full
of knowledge, experience and instruction. Very much so compared to some
of the wannabes in the newsgroup.

Steve

Careful there, Steve, You might get my head too big to fit through the
door.

I thank you for the kind words. Unlike many in the machining field, it
was more than just a way of making a living-----it represented me as a
person. When I was actively machining, I had a goal of perfection and
settled for nothing less. You likely understand that the leaders of today
see my kind as obsolete, for quality is now way down the list of desirable
accomplishments. Making money has replaced pride in workmanship in many
cases. I'd rather not be known as that kind of person.

Be well,

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Drives away the pests with spiky leather clothes and ball caps on
backwards.

--

Christopher A. Young

I never had much respect for someone who would wear a baseball cap
backwards. An insult to Mom, apple pie, and baseball.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 3:36 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"nick hull" wrote in message

.. .

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

A McGiver solution might be to rig a firing pin setup that uses small
pistol primers. At about 2.5 cents per pop, the cost would be
considerably less than that of the oxygen going down the hole. A bit
of dirt might screw up a spark gap, while primer ignition would tend
to be self-cleaning.

Another solution would be a rocket igniter, easily made by putting a
thin wire over a match head. The current heats the match head to
ignition and the flare up lights the gas (or rocket engine). They are
available commercially in hobby stores.

As a kid, I'd use a single strand of copper wire and a low voltage high
amperage source ( I used to use an old tube type power supply from a radio,
but a 6 or 12 volt battery (think auto or garden tractor) would serve very
well). I'd pluck the single strand from something like appliance cord, then
hook it to heavier wire. No need for anything more, although a match head
would certainly provide insurance of ignition.

The single strand will glow red and burn in half, much like a fuse. I used
to fire home made cannon that way, using home made black powder. Worked
every time.

Harold

I did this with a 110V feed (and 3 strands) to give an absolute
guaranteed ignition to my 30-gal trashbag acetylene bombs.

Blobs of molten copper shooting about tend to get things moving quite
well.

I imagine a tractor or motorcycle battery would have enough current to
do much the same.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Sniff, sniff. You've described me almost to a tee. Well, some
similarities, anyway. Although my skill level is not up to yours, I have
had pride in what left my hands, and still do. I get ****ed off the most
with the attitudes of the young guys today, and corporate's disposable
employee attitude. I'm retired, but still see it in people who do work for
me, and in the public sector.

And then you get all the whining about outsourcing.

Duh.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip----

And then you get all the whining about outsourcing.

Duh.

Steve

Frankly, that's a very big part of what irritates the hell out of me. Many
workmen of today take no pride in what they do----and will gladly turn out
substandard work in favor of making a fast buck----yet they are mystified
that manufacturing jobs are leaving the country. The sad thing is that
many of them have been tutored by those that had no pride in what they did,
so they don't even understand they do lousy work.

Duh!, indeed.

Why in hell should you or I pay premium prices for garbage products? If I
*must* accept substandard workmanship, I demand it come at a price in
keeping with the quality. To expect me, or others, living in retirement,
to support these people while they do as little as they can for as much pay
as they can wring out of their job, is nothing short of the ultimate insult.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip----

[...]

QUIT!

I'm starting to like you.

The other day, I ran off a drywaller for putting up ceiling drywall while
the roof was leaking in. Well, that, and they RotoZipped through eight
electrical boxes, one cable box, and one telephone box cables. I called the
company owner, since the workers didn't speak English. Asked if he could
come out and look at the work. He told me if I didn't like their work to
get someone else to do the work. That he only took the job as a favor to a
friend, and wasn't making any money on the job. I told him I wouldn't be
needing anything more from them, and would send a check for whatever he
billed me for. He sent a truck to pick up the rest of the materials the
next day, but I had payed the supply house for them already. I turned the
truck around. Yeah, right, I'm going to haul more drywall because he wants
to be a putz.

Fast forward four days. Today, I found a crusty old fart who gave me a bid
to come out and finish the job. A friend of a friend from church. Been
drywalling a long time and now just does small jobs for cash. To hang the
rest of the rock, bull nose, texture, mud, etc, and fix what they ****ed up.
$1400 cash. Total cost with all labor and materials ........... $1400 less
than what the contractor wanted at $1.15 sf of drywall. I know he woulda
paid the Mexicans less than $1400. You don't touch a nail, and make more
than $1400, and you aren't making any money on the job?

These people are so stupid they think you don't know math either.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip----

[...]

Sigh!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

You may not be aware, but Susan and I have been busting our butts for the
past six years building a house. Progress is slow because it's as I say,
just Susan and me, and I'm not a builder----not even close. I'm a retired
machinist/toolmaker, and I look at such a project much the same way I'd look
at making a tool. I'm not sure there is an end to the project. We have
subcontracted only concrete work. Tomorrow there will be a rep from a
drywall company here to give us a bid on delivering and stocking drywall.
Can't be done over the phone because there is no access to the top floor,
and he wants to know what he's facing. The entire house will be done in
5/8" firecode board.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I will be the lucky ******* that
will hang it---secure in the knowledge that no one will accept the job
unless they can make a killing. I refuse to allow that. People, at least
here, are not interested in working, or so it seems. I called one guy that
asked for my phone number and address, said he'd get right back to me. That
was two weeks ago. If they aren't reliable enough to keep their word, even
if he was to show up eventually----does he think, even for a moment, that
I'd get involved with anyone that can't be honest with me?

At the rate I'm going, the house will take another four years.

Oh-----on the positive side----a friend that lives some 300+ miles distant
said he'd come and lend a hand. He finishes drywall for a living, and has
done so since the 60's. I'll have him do that for us once it's hung. He
said he'd need $10/hr. Sounds like a bargain to me. We'll put him up,
feed him, and enjoy some great conversation all the while he's here. Haven't
visited with him in a few years.

Sounds like you hit on the right guy at your end.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:14:18 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip----

And then you get all the whining about outsourcing.

Duh.

Steve

Frankly, that's a very big part of what irritates the hell out of me. Many
workmen of today take no pride in what they do----and will gladly turn out
substandard work in favor of making a fast buck----yet they are mystified
that manufacturing jobs are leaving the country. The sad thing is that
many of them have been tutored by those that had no pride in what they did,
so they don't even understand they do lousy work.

Duh!, indeed.

There are still a few craftsmen at large. My youngish neighbor is
one. I purely love working with him, or having him do remodelling
work for me better and a whole lot quicker than I could do. I do
metal, he does wood, we he'p each other out every now and then.

BTW, the "shed roof that looked like a gate" is now in place, got
done the day before it started snowing here. First class work, as
always. That guy can do things freehand with a skilsaw that I'd need
a tablesaw to do. It really is fun to watch. He works quickly and
efficiently, but I think he is utterly incapable of doing a
half-assed job of anything. His "rough carpentry" fits better than
some cabinetwork we've all seen. He makes it look easy. We all know
it isn't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news snip----

There are still a few craftsmen at large. My youngish neighbor is
one. I purely love working with him, or having him do remodelling
work for me better and a whole lot quicker than I could do. I do
metal, he does wood, we he'p each other out every now and then.

BTW, the "shed roof that looked like a gate" is now in place, got
done the day before it started snowing here. First class work, as
always. That guy can do things freehand with a skilsaw that I'd need
a tablesaw to do. It really is fun to watch. He works quickly and
efficiently, but I think he is utterly incapable of doing a
half-assed job of anything. His "rough carpentry" fits better than
some cabinetwork we've all seen. He makes it look easy. We all know
it isn't.

Funny----when we moved here, we made the acquaintance of a couple guys that
did construction work. We hired them for doing the footings of both the
house and the shop. One of them is likely the fastest (and best) I've seen
in a long time. As you suggest, he makes it look easy----but I know from
personal experience it isn't. Some guys either have a knack, or they have
paid their dues.

I agree-------there are some craftsmen still out there----but they're a
dying breed, and certainly not the highest paid people. My experience
dictates that people with enough integrity to do a good job aren't in it
solely for the money.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 5:19 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
The entire house will be done in
5/8" firecode board.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I will be the lucky ******* that
will hang it---

At the rate I'm going, the house will take another four years.

Harold

If I were going to do a whole house in 5/8 drywall, I would certainly
buy a dry wall hoist. And rent it out after I was done using it.
Harbor Freight among others sell them.

Dan

95852-2VGA
Haul-Master 150 LB CAPACITY DRYWALL/PANEL HOIST $399.99
$249.99

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Dec 10, 5:19 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
The entire house will be done in
5/8" firecode board.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I will be the lucky ******* that
will hang it---

At the rate I'm going, the house will take another four years.

Harold

If I were going to do a whole house in 5/8 drywall, I would certainly
buy a dry wall hoist. And rent it out after I was done using it.
Harbor Freight among others sell them.

Dan

95852-2VGA
Haul-Master 150 LB CAPACITY DRYWALL/PANEL HOIST $399.99
$249.99

Thanks for the comment, Dan. Yeah, we already have that figured out. I've
found those import lifts for sale for about $180, including shipping. No
way could we hang the board otherwise. At my age, I simply can't do the
manual labor involved, and I can't help but think Susan, my right hand
"man", couldn't handle it, either. She'd sure as hell give it her best
shot if necessary, however. She's like that.

Had a drywall rep show up today. I'll have to remove one window frame to
stock the board, but that eliminates hauling those 12' panels up a flight of
stairs--------

I'm beginning to see some finished walls in my future! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

Had a drywall rep show up today. I'll have to remove one window frame to
stock the board, but that eliminates hauling those 12' panels up a flight
of stairs--------

I'm beginning to see some finished walls in my future! :-)

Harold

My guy is finishing hanging the board as I type. Will start mudding
tomorrow. Getting the drywall up is a HUGE milepost.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
news

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

Had a drywall rep show up today. I'll have to remove one window frame to
stock the board, but that eliminates hauling those 12' panels up a flight
of stairs--------

I'm beginning to see some finished walls in my future! :-)

Harold

My guy is finishing hanging the board as I type. Will start mudding
tomorrow. Getting the drywall up is a HUGE milepost.

Indeed! Suddenly, a rough project takes on the form of a finished one,
although I realize I still have much to do afterwards.

Congrats on your progress.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
news

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

Had a drywall rep show up today. I'll have to remove one window frame
to stock the board, but that eliminates hauling those 12' panels up a
flight of stairs--------

I'm beginning to see some finished walls in my future! :-)

Harold

My guy is finishing hanging the board as I type. Will start mudding
tomorrow. Getting the drywall up is a HUGE milepost.

Indeed! Suddenly, a rough project takes on the form of a finished one,
although I realize I still have much to do afterwards.

Congrats on your progress.

I'm sick of this **** and ready to go fishing. But now it's too cold.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip---

I'm sick of this **** and ready to go fishing. But now it's too cold.

Steve

Hey-----you're the guy that chose Utah. Winters there suck. unless you like
to ski. I don't. I was born and raised there, and spent 56 of my years
in the Salt Lake Valley. Best thing I ever did was leave. I hate the
damned crowded conditions and smog in the winter. Wasn't thrilled with the
church running the state, either.

Come up to the NW------where you can fish for something all the time. Even
do a little clamming with some luck.

Harold

HW cylinder types. Matthew UK diy 2 November 7th 06 01:12 PM
PC PSU connector types? Terry Pinnell Electronics Repair 5 April 15th 06 06:25 PM
MCB types.. AJB UK diy 1 September 23rd 05 04:36 PM
Can you mix two different types together? Wet [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 19th 05 06:50 PM
Two Termite Types? CWLee Home Repair 8 August 8th 05 12:47 AM