Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default Awright, McGiver types

. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
snip----

And then you get all the whining about outsourcing.

Duh.

Steve

Frankly, that's a very big part of what irritates the hell out of me.
Many workmen of today take no pride in what they do----and will gladly
turn out substandard work in favor of making a fast buck----yet they are
mystified that manufacturing jobs are leaving the country. The sad
thing is that many of them have been tutored by those that had no pride in
what they did, so they don't even understand they do lousy work.

Duh!, indeed.

Why in hell should you or I pay premium prices for garbage products? If
I *must* accept substandard workmanship, I demand it come at a price in
keeping with the quality. To expect me, or others, living in
retirement, to support these people while they do as little as they can
for as much pay as they can wring out of their job, is nothing short of
the ultimate insult.

Harold

QUIT!

I'm starting to like you.

The other day, I ran off a drywaller for putting up ceiling drywall while
the roof was leaking in. Well, that, and they RotoZipped through eight
electrical boxes, one cable box, and one telephone box cables. I called the
company owner, since the workers didn't speak English. Asked if he could
come out and look at the work. He told me if I didn't like their work to
get someone else to do the work. That he only took the job as a favor to a
friend, and wasn't making any money on the job. I told him I wouldn't be
needing anything more from them, and would send a check for whatever he
billed me for. He sent a truck to pick up the rest of the materials the
next day, but I had payed the supply house for them already. I turned the
truck around. Yeah, right, I'm going to haul more drywall because he wants
to be a putz.

Fast forward four days. Today, I found a crusty old fart who gave me a bid
to come out and finish the job. A friend of a friend from church. Been
drywalling a long time and now just does small jobs for cash. To hang the
rest of the rock, bull nose, texture, mud, etc, and fix what they ****ed up.
$1400 cash. Total cost with all labor and materials ........... $1400 less
than what the contractor wanted at $1.15 sf of drywall. I know he woulda
paid the Mexicans less than $1400. You don't touch a nail, and make more
than $1400, and you aren't making any money on the job?

These people are so stupid they think you don't know math either.

Steve