Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Veterans Day

I say to all Veterans.Thank you for your service to our country
Millwright Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:53:07 -0800, Millwright Ron
wrote:

I say to all Veterans.Thank you for your service to our country
Millwright Ron

Somebody oughta set up a foundation that provides hearing aids to
vets. Just about every vet I've talked to that's over 60 has some
hearing impairment, and the VA doesn't do squat.

I have mine already, but aids are expensive and there are a lot of
guys that could use some help there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I say to all Veterans.Thank you for your service to our country
Millwright Ron

Somebody oughta set up a foundation that provides hearing aids to
vets. Just about every vet I've talked to that's over 60 has some
hearing impairment, and the VA doesn't do squat.

I have mine already, but aids are expensive and there are a lot of
guys that could use some help there.

That's a good idea. My father had hearing problems when he got older
and it was probably from sleeping on deck under the 5 inch guns while
his destroyer was softening up beach heads for the Marines in WWII.
I thank all the Veterans also. I didn't have to serve but I know full
well that was only because of all those Veterans who paid a price
living or dead for me to be able to do so.
Thanks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 9, 1:05 pm, Don Foreman wrote:

Somebody oughta set up a foundation that provides hearing aids to
vets. Just about every vet I've talked to that's over 60 has some
hearing impairment, and the VA doesn't do squat.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031688227215a.shtml

Comments, experience???

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:37:18 -0800, Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 9, 1:05 pm, Don Foreman wrote:

Somebody oughta set up a foundation that provides hearing aids to
vets. Just about every vet I've talked to that's over 60 has some
hearing impairment, and the VA doesn't do squat.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031688227215a.shtml

Comments, experience???

Jim Wilkins

Straight amplification doesn't help much. Most folks with hearing
loss due to prolonged exposure to loud noises (like gunfire) have
much greater loss at higher frequencies -- like above 300 Hz!
Intelligibility of speech, particularly consonants, depends on higher
frequency content. So aids have to be frequency-selective, tailored
to the individual's needs. Otherwise, what sounds like untelligible
mumble just sounds like louder unintelligible mumble when amplified.

That's at least part of why good aids are so expensive. It's easy to
make something with some gain, but there's a LOT of microelectronics
in a good hearing aid. Mine are digital, each with five frequency
channels of different gains, and the whole works fits entirely inside
the ear canal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

That's at least part of why good aids are so expensive. It's easy to
make something with some gain, but there's a LOT of microelectronics
in a good hearing aid. Mine are digital, each with five frequency
channels of different gains, and the whole works fits entirely inside
the ear canal.

I had a pair of good hearing aids and both went south after less than a
year. If you wear expensive hearing aids, don't sweat!

They didn't warranty them against bodily "fluids."

$1600 DTD.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 9:12 am, "SteveB" wrote:
One of the most incredible things I think I have ever seen.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/patriotic/liberty.asp

WOW

Millwright Ron
www.unionmillwright.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Husvar" wrote in message
In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

That's at least part of why good aids are so expensive. It's easy to
make something with some gain, but there's a LOT of microelectronics
in a good hearing aid. Mine are digital, each with five frequency
channels of different gains, and the whole works fits entirely inside
the ear canal.

I had a pair of good hearing aids and both went south after less than a
year. If you wear expensive hearing aids, don't sweat!

They didn't warranty them against bodily "fluids."

$1600 DTD.

I have a very short memory. Faulty and damaged, actually. Yet, I remember
the tekkie telling me that perspiration and moisture was the absolute worst
thing for hearing aids. Guess you didn't RTFM or have a good tekkie.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

One of the most incredible things I think I have ever seen.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/patriotic/liberty.asp

That is something! And the photographer did more of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of the most incredible things I think I have ever seen.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/patriotic/liberty.asp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:32:58 -0500, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

That's at least part of why good aids are so expensive. It's easy to
make something with some gain, but there's a LOT of microelectronics
in a good hearing aid. Mine are digital, each with five frequency
channels of different gains, and the whole works fits entirely inside
the ear canal.

I had a pair of good hearing aids and both went south after less than a
year. If you wear expensive hearing aids, don't sweat!

They didn't warranty them against bodily "fluids."

$1600 DTD.

I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now, still workin' fine. Maybe I don't
sweat much inside my ears.