Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - sewing machine repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 06:01:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:08:09 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

The Featherweight is a great little machine, Mom found several in
her wanderings - in some ways she Out-Gunner'd Gunner by a mile. ;-)
Walks in with a Ridgid #2 pipe cutter in pristine condition ($160),
and she had the balls to say "It was $2 - did I pay too much?"

(Good night Mrs. Bergman, wherever you are.)

I'm glad you didn't say "audacity". That took balls.

The one I grabbed to see "which model is he talking about..." was
the sole 221K White (Made in Great Britain) she had. There's at least
two each of the Green and Black variety around here somewhere. But I
won't say where here is, in case there are any rabid quilt makers
waiting to mug me for a sewing machine.

Only wimmenz make quiltz.

(Satire Alert - put down the Mountain Dew before reading further,
unless you want a good excuse to go buy a new monitor.)

Nah, it's the keyboard which gets ruined by sugary crap like that.

Not even that, I just hose it out with 99% isopropyl alcohol followed
by compressed air. Of course you might have to vacuum out the
cockroaches first.

Remember The Rules: Guys don't make clothing - and we sure as HELL
don't make matching His And Hers outfits - matter of fact it's your
sacred duty under the Man Code to burn anything resembling them if
found, and never allow yourself to be seen in public in same. :-P

Amen!

But we are allowed to repair holes and ripped out inseams in work
clothes, and hem our Levis and Carhartts, make sails and spray covers
and light covers and shifter boots and upholstery, and do other Guy
Things with a sewing machine. It still qualifies as a Power Tool, but
only when used properly. ;-)

At least three times over the 12 years I worked away from home and
occupied a rented room during the week, I answered phone calls from
SWMBO while showing my landlady how to operate her sewing machine
(which happened to be located in a corner of her bedroom)

I make my laptop glare guards with mine. And manly pillow cases. (I
needed one for a reading wedge I bought which was naked.) I also used
it for curtains in the gar^H^H^Hshop. We can't have people peeking at
all the tools now, can we?

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:22:47 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
I make my laptop glare guards with mine. And manly pillow cases. (I
needed one for a reading wedge I bought which was naked.) I also used
it for curtains in the gar^H^H^Hshop. We can't have people peeking at
all the tools now, can we?

If you keep making your pillow cases out of awning canvas and your curtains
out of rawhide, people are going to want to peek anyway.

That sounds like an S&M shop, not my house, Ed. g

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Remember The Rules: Guys don't make clothing - and we sure as HELL
don't make matching His And Hers outfits - matter of fact it's your
sacred duty under the Man Code to burn anything resembling them if
found, and never allow yourself to be seen in public in same. :-P

But we are allowed to repair holes and ripped out inseams in work
clothes, and hem our Levis and Carhartts, make sails and spray covers
and light covers and shifter boots and upholstery, and do other Guy
Things with a sewing machine. It still qualifies as a Power Tool, but
only when used properly. ;-)

I managed to talk my wife into making a cover
for my tig welder. If she reads this, she'll
make me make it...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Bruce L. Bergman :
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:12:09 -0800, "SteveB" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote...

Interestingly enough, I use my little Singer 221B (folding
portable) occasionally for sewing leather, and it works quite well for
the task.

[ ... ]

The Featherweight is a great little machine, Mom found several in
her wanderings - in some ways she Out-Gunner'd Gunner by a mile. ;-)

Mine came from a dealer at an antique dealer cluster. He was a
dealer in clocks, and I happened to notice the black box with a carrying
handle, and ask what it was. (It looked like it might do as a case for
a small button accordion, and I was buying concertinas and the
occasional button accordion in those days.) Well ... I decided that it
might prove useful, and bought it for a quite reasonable amount. It
turns out that he had bought it for his wife when they got married or
not too long afterwards. Then, she never used it, and he used it only
to repair his Masonic regalia a time or two. His wife was no longer
with us, and he decided that he had no more need for it, so that is why
he was selling it. By now, I presume that he, also, is no longer with
us, as I am now about the age he was when he sold it.

Walks in with a Ridgid #2 pipe cutter in pristine condition ($160),
and she had the balls to say "It was $2 - did I pay too much?"

Nice! My wife finds tools for me on eBay -- but she doesn't
*pay* for them. :-)

(Good night Mrs. Bergman, wherever you are.)

The one I grabbed to see "which model is he talking about..." was
the sole 221K White (Made in Great Britain) she had. There's at least
two each of the Green and Black variety around here somewhere. But I
won't say where here is, in case there are any rabid quilt makers
waiting to mug me for a sewing machine.

Mine is black, with some gold decorative trim over the black
enamel.

I had to go back to the bedroom to check mine. I apparently
mis-remembered. It is a "221-", but whatever character follows the '-'
is hiding under the head of a drive screw. It might be a 'G' or an 'O',
or perhaps anything else. I guess the 'B' came from Sherlock Holmes'
address -- 221B Baker street. :-)

FWIW -- the serial number (if this helps any) is "AM402355", and
the copyright date in the manual is 1955. Can that serial number refine
the date of manufacture any better than that? It appears to have the
full standard set of accessories -- as well as *two* of the buttonhole
attachments.

So -- I should guard mine against raids by quilters?

(Satire Alert - put down the Mountain Dew before reading further,
unless you want a good excuse to go buy a new monitor.)

Remember The Rules: Guys don't make clothing - and we sure as HELL
don't make matching His And Hers outfits - matter of fact it's your
sacred duty under the Man Code to burn anything resembling them if
found, and never allow yourself to be seen in public in same. :-P

:-)

But we are allowed to repair holes and ripped out inseams in work
clothes, and hem our Levis and Carhartts, make sails and spray covers
and light covers and shifter boots and upholstery, and do other Guy
Things with a sewing machine. It still qualifies as a Power Tool, but
only when used properly. ;-)

Aside from using it to stitch up the leather thumbstraps for
English system concertinas, I've used it for various repairs of everyday
clothing -- including repairing what my niece calls a "blowout" (the
rear seam of the pants). :-)

Oh yes -- also to put blood red buttonholes on the red-lined
black vampire cape prior to some Halloween in the past -- since I got
married.

Oh yes -- and I have to do all the sewing in the house, since my
wife just won't do that kind of thing. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
x x is offline

thanks all for your replies.

i have now been told that they were claimed to be an impregnated style
bearing. Based on everyones responses,
I am moderately confident that it is not likely to be an 'exotic' lubricant,
so i expect it will wash out with an ordinary type solvent, and just
straight sewing machine oil will do.

(i have also tracked down a suggestion to try heating it with hair dryer/hot
air gun/ for a little while. I guess this would help an impregnated bearing
leak a bit of oil out onto the bearing surface to wash and relube.
A sewing machine mechanic suggested 'Prolon' a 'foaming teflon spray oil
used for turbos- but i cant locate anything like that.)

regards

russ

this one, and i think also the other, gets stuck in reverse. When opened,
can return it to forwards by applying a moderate amount of assistance to
the
spring return, but there is no way it will return by itself. This machine
has 'lifetime lubrication' so there is no way to add oil. The action is
smooth, but stiff.

snip

I have heard/rumor that they use Teflon bearing surfaces.
Don't know how this would be done. The machine (Husqvarna)
that I've stuck my nose into looked much the same as any
other that needs lube. I did use some Singer Sewing Machine
oil in this same machine (most any store carries this, try
the Walmart sewing area). As far as I can tell it didn't
have any ill effects. It really bothered me to see all the
dry bearing surfaces in it...