Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulley for treadmill motor question

I already googled and came up empty.
I have a 2.5HP DC motor and controller that I want to put on
my drill press but I can't find a pulley to fit it. The shaft is 17MM
(0.669") by 1" length with an additional section 1/2-13 LHT on
the end. The original treadmill pulley/flywheel takes a flat ribbed belt
which I can't adapt to the DP.

So what to do? Does anyone know of a source for a V-belt(4L)
pulley with a 17MM bore? Alternatively would turning the shaft down
to 5/8 be feasible? Or maybe boring out a 5/8 pulley?
Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this are welcome.

Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:13:22 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

I already googled and came up empty.
I have a 2.5HP DC motor and controller that I want to put on
my drill press but I can't find a pulley to fit it. The shaft is 17MM
(0.669") by 1" length with an additional section 1/2-13 LHT on
the end. The original treadmill pulley/flywheel takes a flat ribbed belt
which I can't adapt to the DP.

So what to do? Does anyone know of a source for a V-belt(4L)
pulley with a 17MM bore? Alternatively would turning the shaft down
to 5/8 be feasible? Or maybe boring out a 5/8 pulley?
Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this are welcome.

Art

Bore or ream pully to fit shaft.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pulley with a 17MM bore? Alternatively would turning the shaft down
to 5/8 be feasible? Or maybe boring out a 5/8 pulley?

Do you owna lathe? Easy job to bore a pulley on the lathe. Don't even think
about working on the motor shaft.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Artemus writes:

So what to do?

If the stock pulley bore is too big, you make a collar on a lathe (example:
http://www.truetex.com/dcdrv.htm).

If the stock pulley bore is too small, you enlarge it on a lathe.

And if just right, then like Goldilocks, you are happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with
one. I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or
about 3 thou over. Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to take
up the difference? Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley?
Art

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
pulley with a 17MM bore? Alternatively would turning the shaft down
to 5/8 be feasible? Or maybe boring out a 5/8 pulley?

Do you owna lathe? Easy job to bore a pulley on the lathe. Don't even think
about working on the motor shaft.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Artemus wrote:
I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with
one. I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or
about 3 thou over. Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to take
up the difference? Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley?

Don't do it.
Find a lathe and do it right.
Or find a local hobby machinist and spring for a 6-pack of his choice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
Artemus wrote:
I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with
one. I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or
about 3 thou over. Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to
take
up the difference? Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley?

Don't do it.
Find a lathe and do it right.
Or find a local hobby machinist and spring for a 6-pack of his choice.

Yes to what Rex says. A drilled hole will not be very round (they're
trilobal, but don't worry about it), and it will be oversize. It will have
other problems. That's why we use a drill to make a rough hole and a boring
tool or a reamer to finish it. A boring tool on a lathe is best.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message
Artemus wrote:
I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with
one. I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or
about 3 thou over. Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to
take
up the difference? Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley?

Don't do it.
Find a lathe and do it right.
Or find a local hobby machinist and spring for a 6-pack of his choice.

Yes to what Rex says. A drilled hole will not be very round (they're
trilobal, but don't worry about it), and it will be oversize. It will have
other problems. That's why we use a drill to make a rough hole and a boring
tool or a reamer to finish it. A boring tool on a lathe is best.

Dang, I wish I had this many choices in used machines as the OP does in
Portland!

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=lathe

Contact one of these guys and see if he'll do you a quicky
Or buy a lathe. Some of these look like pretty good deals.