Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Artemus Artemus is offline

Default Pulley for treadmill motor question

Thanks guys.
A lathe it is.
Art

"Rex" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message
Artemus wrote:
I don't own a lathe nor do I know anyone in the Portland OR area with
one. I did find a 43/64 drill bit at my hardware store which is 0.472 or
about 3 thou over. Is it feasible to use it and then use shim stock to
take
up the difference? Or am I just begging for a wobbly pulley?
Don't do it.
Find a lathe and do it right.
Or find a local hobby machinist and spring for a 6-pack of his choice.

Yes to what Rex says. A drilled hole will not be very round (they're
trilobal, but don't worry about it), and it will be oversize. It will have
other problems. That's why we use a drill to make a rough hole and a boring
tool or a reamer to finish it. A boring tool on a lathe is best.

Dang, I wish I had this many choices in used machines as the OP does in
Portland!

http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=lathe

Contact one of these guys and see if he'll do you a quicky
Or buy a lathe. Some of these look like pretty good deals.