Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EZ IQ test...

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

--
Ed Huntress

Ooooouuuu, what a tempting question!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

I see it both ways. Is it my brain or those afterwork brewski's?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

First, she was spinning clockwise. After staring at the center of her
body for a few seconds she reversed.
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

--
Ed Huntress

Ooooouuuu, what a tempting question!

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gil gil is offline

I can see it both ways, but it's like she stops and goes the other way
all of a sudden, in a subtle way, like somebody has developed the
image that way. The thing about it is that the foot she is spinning on
always goes clockwise, so she spins counter to the direction of her
foot at times. I think anybody can see it both ways if they stare at
it long enough?

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

Stare at a little longer. Even if we don't always agree on policy and
politics, you strike me as a pretty smart guy.

It has taken as long as 22 seconds for it to reverse for me. Often sooner.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Both ways for me too, and after really staring hard at it I got her to
do "The Twist" like she was trying to shake her titties at me.
(Seriously)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Has anyone tried to verify the direction change with a partner? Seems
like the whole thing might be setup to make you feel good. (Wow! I'm a
genius! Mom was wrong! I better see what this website is all about....)

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Being shot out of a cannon is always better
than being squeezed through a tube.
Hunter S. Thompson, (1939 - 2005) Kingdom of Fear

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:13:45 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Both ways for me, but the longer I watched...it went clockwise.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

--
Ed Huntress

Ooooouuuu, what a tempting question!

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

Look at the text to the right and use your peripheral vision
on the spinning model. It appears to change directions quite
easily when you aren't concentrating on it.

And what if one is ambidextrous? I write with either hand
(taught and better with right though), right-handed
baseball, shoot a sling-shot left handed, but shoot a bow
right handed, gun right handed...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

When I first clicked on the link, it opened in a window which only the upper
half of the figure was viewable. I was sure she was turning counter
clockwise (viewed from above)

When I opened it full screen, I saw the shadow of her right foot as it
passed into view and she was clearly spinning clockwise.

What the heck does that mean.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

I dont' know about the spinning lady, but around 140 is considered
genius. 160 is in the "high genius" category.

JW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

Stare at a little longer. Even if we don't always agree on policy and
politics, you strike me as a pretty smart guy.

It has taken as long as 22 seconds for it to reverse for me. Often
sooner.

Wes

OK, now I can see it going the other way for a few rotations, but then it
flops back to clockwise.

What do I win? g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Aha! Now I can keep her going counterclockwise for as long as I want. I was
focusing on her butt. Now I tried focusing on her tits. That seems to do it.

When I look at her head, she flops back to clockwise.

And what if one is ambidextrous? I write with either hand
(taught and better with right though), right-handed
baseball, shoot a sling-shot left handed, but shoot a bow
right handed, gun right handed...

Man, that must be confusing. I play golf and bat a baseball righty, because
that's how I was taught. Everything else is lefty.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

Stare at a little longer. Even if we don't always agree on policy and
politics, you strike me as a pretty smart guy.

It has taken as long as 22 seconds for it to reverse for me. Often
sooner.

Wes

OK, now I can see it going the other way for a few rotations, but then it
flops back to clockwise.

What do I win? g

--
Ed Huntress

Big question is how many rotations it takes to mare her reverse.

I can (for a short period) make her swing back and forth without
rotating. But it makes my eyes hurt after a few seconds.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

I just saw a naked lady sexily calling my name...I'm "Lower Brained"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:57:25 -0400, Pete Snell wrote:

Has anyone tried to verify the direction change with a partner? Seems
like the whole thing might be setup to make you feel good. (Wow! I'm a
genius! Mom was wrong! I better see what this website is all about....)

Partner? I used a photo manipulation tool Save a copy to disk, open
with the Gimp, press 'Ctrl - L' to open layers. Turn off visibility on
all but the background, then slowly turn them back on one by one.
(Pretty sure you can do this with Photo Shop too.)

The silhouette never makes a full turn in either direction. Reversing at
the half way point twice. Think there are some other tricks with leg
angles and shadows...
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jw" wrote in message
ups.com...

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

I dont' know about the spinning lady, but around 140 is considered
genius. 160 is in the "high genius" category.

Furthermore, I can keep her spinning both ways, I know my IQ, and it sure
ain't 160. 160 is borderline scary.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 5:13 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:

snip

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

This is extremely weird. Thanks for posting it!

I am usually pretty good at the spatial part of IQ tests, but it took
me several minutes before I could see the figure spinning
anticlockwise. If you can't see the figure spinning in one direction,
it's worth trying for a while, because when your mind makes the switch
it's really weird. Look at her arms, and when you think they're
passing in front of her body, try to see them passing behind instead.
Then once you've seen both directions, it gets a bit weird. At one
point I could see the top half turning one way and the bottom half the
other!

I think the reason the illusion works is because the frames are
ambiguous. I had a look at the frames individually using the Gimp.
With many of the frames it's impossible to tell whether the woman is
facing you or looking away from you. Furthermore, there are many
successive pairs of frames from which it's impossible to tell the
direction of rotation. I think it's a very carefully crafted graphic,
and I don't think it would work if there was more detail that the bare
outline.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
[...]

I couldn't resist slowing it down with GIF Construction Set.

Didn't learn much more than from the full speed version, but if you'd
like to see it I'll leave it up here for a few days:

http://members.aol.com/jeffwkrp/temp...inninglady.gif

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 23, 5:13 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:

snip

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

This is extremely weird. Thanks for posting it!

I am usually pretty good at the spatial part of IQ tests, but it took
me several minutes before I could see the figure spinning
anticlockwise. If you can't see the figure spinning in one direction,
it's worth trying for a while, because when your mind makes the switch
it's really weird. Look at her arms, and when you think they're
passing in front of her body, try to see them passing behind instead.

The boobs work, too. I find them downright hypnotic.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 12:48 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

I saw this on a UK news site a few weeks ago. They didn't say
anything about IQ, just some people can focus and change the
direction. My wife sees it both ways depending on if she's thinking
about the dancer or just watching. For me its clockwise, which
supposedly means I'm a sensitive person all touchy feely. When in the
real world I'm all facts data and cold, go figure.

I blame it on being left handed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 23, 12:48 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these days.
I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed, and some
researchers say that lefties use the other side, or something like that.

FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around clockwise to me.

I saw this on a UK news site a few weeks ago. They didn't say
anything about IQ, just some people can focus and change the
direction. My wife sees it both ways depending on if she's thinking
about the dancer or just watching. For me its clockwise, which
supposedly means I'm a sensitive person all touchy feely. When in the
real world I'm all facts data and cold, go figure.

I blame it on being left handed.

We're sinister-brained. It's a tradegy that I blame on Dog...assuming there
really is a Dog.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

If you stare at the bottom of the picture and follow the shadows of the
two feet, the shadow of the front foot does not go around the shadow of
the other. By viewing the shadows it gives you a better frame of
reference to see her move back and forth ranther than spinning in one
direction.

John
http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can see it both ways! The trick is to focus my stare on the right side of
the picture frame if I want to make it rotate clockwise. If I want it to
rotate counterclockwise, then I focus my stare on the left side of the
frame.

It works very well for me! Besides being able to see it both ways do I get
extra IQ points for finding out how it works for me?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

| "cavelamb himself" wrote in message
| If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
| (supposedly) using your right brain.
|
| If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
| using left brain.
|
| Some people do see both ways, but most people
| see it only one way.
|
| If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
| (supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.
|

| http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html
|
| So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?
|
| --
| Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:21:33 -0300, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

SNIP

I couldn't resist slowing it down with GIF Construction Set.

Didn't learn much more than from the full speed version, but if you'd
like to see it I'll leave it up here for a few days:

http://members.aol.com/jeffwkrp/temp...inninglady.gif

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

That's neat too. What program is that?

I can make her switch rotation direction in my "mind" just by watching
either her extended foot or the hip "next to" her most crooked arm, or
the most crooked arm itself. I just tell myself whether it is now her
left foot/left hip/arm, or instantly reverse in any position where
they are visible, by telling myself that is her right foot/left
hip/arm .

Still, pretty amazing, and a founding of vertigo.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell wrote:

Partner? I used a photo manipulation tool Save a copy to disk, open
with the Gimp, press 'Ctrl - L' to open layers. Turn off visibility on
all but the background, then slowly turn them back on one by one.
(Pretty sure you can do this with Photo Shop too.)

Thanks for the gimp tip.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Both ways for me, but the longer I watched...it went clockwise.

Gunner

Similar with me. I can get her going CCW pretty much at will, but
she snaps back to CW before long.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My guess is that the more experience you've got with
foreground/background reversion images and random-dot stereograms, the
easier it is for you to make her change direction. I don't have much
trouble -- but I did computer vision research early in my career.

I used to know a guy (decades ago) who'd been one of the microcode
authors of an early computer graphics display that did hardware 3D
transformations. In testing the unit, they spent a lot of time doing
cross-eyed stereo imaging. He told me when he went to get his
driver's licence renewed and they gave him some of the
eye-coordination tests (for instance, a bunch of circles visible from
your left eye and a vertical line visible from your right: what
circle do you see the line going through?) they concluded he had no
eye coordination at all....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I saw the same thing , half-rotations for a while . But were we looking at
her front , or her back ??
FWIW I'm a lefty too , in most things .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:
cavelamb himself writes:

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

Afte reading the responses, I can only conclude .......

................everyone thinks they're a friggin' genius.

Yeah. Big surprise there, huh?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:21:33 -0300, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

SNIP

I couldn't resist slowing it down with GIF Construction Set.

Didn't learn much more than from the full speed version, but if you'd
like to see it I'll leave it up here for a few days:

http://members.aol.com/jeffwkrp/temp...inninglady.gif

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

That's neat too. What program is that?

A shareware program called "GIF Construction Set".

Just Google that name you'll find lots of places to download it from.

It lets you make animated GIFs from scratch and/or modify existing ones.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I can make her switch rotation direction in my "mind" just by watching
either her extended foot or the hip "next to" her most crooked arm, or
the most crooked arm itself. I just tell myself whether it is now her
left foot/left hip/arm, or instantly reverse in any position where
they are visible, by telling myself that is her right foot/left
hip/arm .

Still, pretty amazing, and a founding of vertigo.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Both ways for me, but the longer I watched...it went clockwise.

Gunner

So, both ways for you...Hmmmm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

I found it to be like those pictures that if you looked at them just right,
they became three D. When I would glance around, she would change
directions, and at times, she makes half a turn in one direction, then
reverses, then rerverses, etc, until I move my eyes, and then that would
change. It is definitely an interesting demonstration.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Big question is how many rotations it takes to mare her reverse.

Last night, I showed the gif to my co-worker and asked him to tell me what
direction it was rotating. We were together for at the start and at the
first reversal. After that we were out of sync on direction and times of
direction changes.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
cavelamb himself wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

CW initially, then CCW - by looking and inch or so to one side and using
peripheral vision or by defocusing momentarily you can make her reverse
direction. As per Snag lefty at most things.