Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default EZ IQ test...

It would HAVE to be an "EZ" (Can't even spell out the whole word?) IQ test
for most of the people here to be able to participate.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"*" wrote in message

It would HAVE to be an "EZ" (Can't even spell out the whole word?) IQ test
for most of the people here to be able to participate.....

Right! Some people don't even remember their name and just use ambiguous
punctuation. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Ed Huntress wrote in article

"*" wrote in message

It would HAVE to be an "EZ" (Can't even spell out the whole word?) IQ

test
for most of the people here to be able to participate.....

Right! Some people don't even remember their name and just use ambiguous
punctuation. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Others present what might appear to be a "real" name, but there is
absolutely no way of confirming this........

........so, is "*" any more ambiguous than "John Doe", "Bill Smith", or "Ed
Huntress"?

My challenge remains........

E-mail ANY ten posters that you don't know personally who post what appears
to be a "real" name and a "real" e-mail addy.

Let me know if more than 50 percent are actually real. You'll be the first!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"*" wrote in message

It would HAVE to be an "EZ" (Can't even spell out the whole word?) IQ

test
for most of the people here to be able to participate.....

Right! Some people don't even remember their name and just use ambiguous
punctuation. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Others present what might appear to be a "real" name, but there is
absolutely no way of confirming this........

.......so, is "*" any more ambiguous than "John Doe", "Bill Smith", or "Ed
Huntress"?

Not very ambiguous. There are only 3 Ed Huntresses in the United States, and
we're all pretty easy to find. John Doe may be a different story, but who
knows.

As for asterisks, there are about 10 of them in a single drug promotion
piece I read recently. You either have a very common name, or you're really
a footnote masquerading as a human being. That seems possible.

My challenge remains........

E-mail ANY ten posters that you don't know personally who post what
appears
to be a "real" name and a "real" e-mail addy.

Let me know if more than 50 percent are actually real. You'll be the
first!

What do e-mail addresses have to do with anything? And how much are you
paying for this research? My standard rate is $125/hour. For asterisks I
charge double, paid in advance. Then I'll do your speculative research for
you.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 10:45 am, Randy Replogle wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

First, she was spinning clockwise. After staring at the center of her
body for a few seconds she reversed.
Randy- Hide quoted text -

Ok. She reversed for me as well but I'll admit I
wasn't staring at the same place.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"john" wrote in message

If you stare at the bottom of the picture and follow the shadows of the
two feet, the shadow of the front foot does not go around the shadow of
the other. By viewing the shadows it gives you a better frame of reference
to see her move back and forth ranther than spinning in one direction.

John
http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

The shadow of the outstretched foot only shows on every other pass,
traveling from right to left as the foot travels from right to left.

If she were simply going back and forth, the shadow would appear to travel
in both directions.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself writes:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

I'd be very suspicious of those claims without some reference backing
them up.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

I can see her turning both ways. Does that make me a genius? I doubt
it. Lots of other responses see both directions too. I think the claim
"both ways == near genius" is rubbish.

For the record, I am right-handed and right-eyed.

Looking at the figure only, I'd guess that it was rendered using either
orthographic projection or a long focal length "lens". With a real
rotating figure, the outside foot would get larger and smaller as it
went around, providing a direction cue, but this one seems to stay the
same apparent size.

However, there *is* one clue to direction: the "reflection" of the higher,
outer foot is visible for only about half the time. This indicates that
she is really rotating, not just ping-ponging between facing left and
facing right. And if this "reflection" is an accurate reflection from a
horizontal surface underneath her, then the reflection will be visible
only when that foot is further from us if it's only visible part time.
That means the figure is rotating counterclockwise.

If I pay special attention to that reflection, everything looks "right"
when the figure seems to be rotating CCW. I still sometimes see her
rotating CW instead, but then the reflection just looks wrong.

However, all this assumes that the image is physically plausible.
It could be an image that is not possible, and was merely generated to
trick our eyes.

Dave
reality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Fat chance Ed ! If the less-than-illustrious * (asterist) is too cheap or
too afraid to use his
real name, there's a good chance he won't pay for any research. Whyn't
you just donate his $125
worth to assholes anon.

Bob (real name) Swinney

PS: Ed, if your free research time uncovers a name to go with the a-hole
(*) let us know. I have
some friends in Nigeria that have some great deals to offer him.

It doesn't show up in a list of surnames. Maybe it's his first name.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My wife & I did - she only saw it in one direction, I can make it
switch back and forth more or less at will.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:57:25 -0400, Pete Snell wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

Has anyone tried to verify the direction change with a partner? Seems
like the whole thing might be setup to make you feel good. (Wow! I'm a
genius! Mom was wrong! I better see what this website is all about....)

Pete

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
When I look back and forth from the directions, she changes
directions. I knew a lady once that swung both ways. What does it
all mean?
Steve

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

42

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 10:34 pm, john wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

If you stare at the bottom of the picture and follow the shadows of the
two feet, the shadow of the front foot does not go around the shadow of
the other. By viewing the shadows it gives you a better frame of
reference to see her move back and forth ranther than spinning in one
direction.

With lighting from behind the woman, that's what you'd see, surely?

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 24, 2:45 am, "Snag" wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I have no idea what the right-brain/left-brain research says these
days. I've always been confused about it because I'm left-handed,
and some researchers say that lefties use the other side, or
something like that. FWIW, she looked like she was spinning around
clockwise to me.

Stare at a little longer. Even if we don't always agree on policy
and politics, you strike me as a pretty smart guy.

It has taken as long as 22 seconds for it to reverse for me. Often
sooner.

Wes

OK, now I can see it going the other way for a few rotations, but
then it flops back to clockwise.

What do I win? g

--
Ed Huntress

Big question is how many rotations it takes to mare her reverse.

I can (for a short period) make her swing back and forth without
rotating. But it makes my eyes hurt after a few seconds.

Richard

I saw the same thing , half-rotations for a while . But were we looking at
her front , or her back ??
FWIW I'm a lefty too , in most things .

I saw this for a bit. I wondered if there was perhaps something
screwed up about the way my browser was displaying the GIF at that
point, but I'm not sure. It does weird things to your mind.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 1:31 am, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:45 am, "Snag" wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

It isn't the browser. It's my mind. It just happened again.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Oct 24, 2:45 am, "Snag" wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

A mindis a terrible thing to waste!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:21:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

Yes.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:45:35 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Randy Replogle quickly quoth:

cavelamb himself wrote:
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

First, she was spinning clockwise. After staring at the center of her
body for a few seconds she reversed.

By golly, I saw her spin only clockwise but when I read your post and
found a different depth of field, she changed directions. Cool.

Does this mean we're switch-brained?

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:21:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are
(supposedly) using your right brain.

If you see it the other way, you are (supposedly)
using left brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people
see it only one way.

If you can see it turning both ways, your IQ is
(supposedly) above 160 -- which is almost a genius.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/spinninglady.html

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

Yes.

That's what I thought. Which brain tells us things like that?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote in news:13i01kvbrbgsqc8
@corp.supernews.com:
snip

42

Oh! Good answer!

Yea, but do you have to actually walk or can you skip and does the road
have to be paved or can it be a donkey path.....

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:33:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:21:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

Yes.

That's what I thought. Which brain tells us things like that?

Of course.

--
Jewish Zen:
Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated, already?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:33:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:21:08 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

So, if we have only one brain, which one is better?

Yes.

That's what I thought. Which brain tells us things like that?

Of course.

Aha! Thanks for clearing that up, Larry. I'm clapping with one hand.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article 42,
Bill wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote in news:13i01kvbrbgsqc8
@corp.supernews.com:
snip

42

Oh! Good answer!

Yea, but do you have to actually walk or can you skip and does the road
have to be paved or can it be a donkey path.....

Bill

Rather than walking, simply move your legs as though walking and let the
planet rotate beneath you until where you're going becomes where you
are, relatively speaking. A skipping gait will also serve.

The road is not the goal: it simply facilitates the journey while one
ponders koans and chants mantras. (And continues moving the legs of
course)

OOOMMMM mani padme OOOMMMMMM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:01:37 -0700, "Al"
wrote:

What lady? It looks like my first wife!

And you let her go?!

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:21:33 -0300, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I couldn't resist slowing it down with GIF Construction Set.

Didn't learn much more than from the full speed version, but if you'd
like to see it I'll leave it up here for a few days:

http://members.aol.com/jeffwkrp/temp...inninglady.gif

Jeff

That solved it for me, Jeff. Cover up everything except the feet. The
pivot foot shadow is extending toward the viewer. The raised foot
shadow would only be visible when her foot is on the other side of her
pivot foot. Counter-clockwise.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 25, 8:35 pm, Andy Asberry wrote:

That solved it for me, Jeff. Cover up everything except the feet. The
pivot foot shadow is extending toward the viewer. The raised foot
shadow would only be visible when her foot is on the other side of her
pivot foot. Counter-clockwise.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Funny but when I watch the slow version, she never makes a full
revolution.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 25, 8:35 pm, Andy Asberry wrote:

That solved it for me, Jeff. Cover up everything except the feet. The
pivot foot shadow is extending toward the viewer. The raised foot
shadow would only be visible when her foot is on the other side of her
pivot foot. Counter-clockwise.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Funny but when I watch the slow version, she never makes a full
revolution.

Dan

OK, here's the real test: Try to get her head rotating in one direction and
the rest of her body rotating in the other. This will be a good party trick
for Halloween. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" writes:

OK, here's the real test: Try to get her head rotating in one direction and
the rest of her body rotating in the other. This will be a good party trick
for Halloween. d8-)

I think the key to a party trick is to get somebody *else* to see it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I couldn't resist slowing it down with GIF Construction Set.

Didn't learn much more than from the full speed version, but if you'd
like to see it I'll leave it up here for a few days:

http://members.aol.com/jeffwkrp/temp...inninglady.gif

Jeff

That solved it for me, Jeff. Cover up everything except the feet. The
pivot foot shadow is extending toward the viewer. The raised foot
shadow would only be visible when her foot is on the other side of her
pivot foot. Counter-clockwise.

--Andy Asberry--

I dunno.....I'm having trouble trying to figure out where the light
source would be have to be located to cause those shadows to fall where
they do.

I'm not sure there is one.

Is there?

Jeff