Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New eBay fishing/scamming approach in the works

eBay recently implemented some changes aimed to thwart Romanian second
chance offer scammers. (The last scammer that I conversed with 6
months ago, was from Belotesti in Ilfov county, Romania, hence my
reference to that country)

After the eBay changes, they assumed a new mode of operation. They do
the following:

1) Grab whatever bidder userids they can find from Bid History
pages. Let's say that they grab username 'joeblow'.

2) They then email fake second chance offers to ,
(and possibly to other places).

This happened to me with my userid at eBay. My gmail and yahoo
addresses were spammed by those scammers, even though my eBay
account's username is registered for different domains than those free
ones.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus3694" wrote in message
eBay recently implemented some changes aimed to thwart Romanian second
chance offer scammers. (The last scammer that I conversed with 6
months ago, was from Belotesti in Ilfov county, Romania, hence my
reference to that country)

After the eBay changes, they assumed a new mode of operation. They do
the following:

1) Grab whatever bidder userids they can find from Bid History
pages. Let's say that they grab username 'joeblow'.

2) They then email fake second chance offers to ,
(and possibly to other places).

This happened to me with my userid at eBay. My gmail and yahoo
addresses were spammed by those scammers, even though my eBay
account's username is registered for different domains than those free
ones.

Just last week I had someone list a Honda motorcycle under my username. I
check my listings several times a day and happened to catch the fake listing
within an hour after it happened. I contacted eBay through their live chat
and got it cancelled in ten minutes or so. I changed my password again for
the 4th or 5th time this year.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Up North" wrote:

Just last week I had someone list a Honda motorcycle under my username. I
check my listings several times a day and happened to catch the fake listing
within an hour after it happened. I contacted eBay through their live chat
and got it cancelled in ten minutes or so. I changed my password again for
the 4th or 5th time this year.

How did the scammer gain access to your account in the first place?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-09, Up North wrote:

[...]

Do you know how they got a hold of your account info? (echoing another
poster's question) You probably need to do something drastic to your
computer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just last week I had someone list a Honda motorcycle under my username. I
check my listings several times a day and happened to catch the fake
listing
within an hour after it happened. I contacted eBay through their live
chat
and got it cancelled in ten minutes or so. I changed my password again
for
the 4th or 5th time this year.
Steve

Do you know how they got a hold of your account info? (echoing another
poster's question) You probably need to do something drastic to your
computer.

Agreed! If running windows, run some of the following:

Are you running an anti-virus software package? If not, quickly go here and
get the free AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/help/us/

My thoughts on Norton? ...cursing isn't condoned so I'll skip 'em here.
Use the "Norton Remover" (Google it) when upgrading to any competent
anti-virus package.

AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
(May have to shut down anti-virus when running - disconnect internet
connection first and it's not a problem or risk)

Windows Scan: http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
(They have a Vista version too somewhere)

The PandaScan thing:
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...s/activescan/?

Then if you are brave, find a copy of "HijackThis" and use it to clear out
your start-up processes as well: http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

If you are REALLY brave, open your config files and do the same... But I
won't even tell you how to do that it's so risky with no skills, etc.

There are dozens of spyware removers on the net and probably as many on-line
virus scanners... The ones above are tried and tested by *me* so they're
worth the price you paid for admission only or more if you are lucky.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-09, Up North wrote:

[...]

They must have hacked my password which I thought was safe as it was 8
digits both numbers and letters. I asked Ebay about it and they said it most
likely was by a spoof email although I never reply to messages not related
to items I am selling or buying, I should start going to my ebay account to
respond to those too. I have Trend Micro antivirus on all my computers and I
keep it updated daily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-09, Up North wrote:

[...]

You could have some malware program that captures your eBay password
as you type it. Even bigger danger than eBay, is the scammers clearing
out your bank account.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in

snip
My thoughts on Norton? ...cursing isn't condoned so I'll skip 'em
here. Use the "Norton Remover" (Google it) when upgrading to any
competent anti-virus package.

snip

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about Norton Bloatware,
nothing kills a nice lively system more than installing anything Nortons.

I'll put a vote in for Avast Virus protector. Nothing beats free and
functional software. I also use the Pro version at work.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:43:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus3694 quickly quoth:

On 2007-10-09, Up North wrote:

[...]

....And/or stop replying to phishing emails, eh?

--
Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire
is that which he exercises over himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 10:43 am, Ignoramus3694
On 2007-10-09, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus3694" wrote in message
m...
[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

It has been mentioned that Ebay has had personal info stolen...I
believe it.

Changing your passwords on a regular basis is a very good idea.

Having Paypal passwords different than any Ebay password is another
good idea.

Using a Paypal only bank account/credit card is another good idea.

The point is that any user should implement a series of barriers so
any thief can only get so far...consider it similar to using a series
of different locks with different keys that a thief would have to deal
with before getting to the valuables.

I would also strongly suggest setting up your bank accounts so no one
can access them by computer...debit cards included.

Many banks are issuing a combination credit/debit card...a very, very
bad idea for the customer.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article lDNOi.1699$d2.1344@trnddc08,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

[...]

What a heap of trouble. Get a Mac!

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What a heap of trouble. Get a Mac!

Ahh... Apple. The new MicroSoft... Have fun!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

What a heap of trouble. Get a Mac!

Or Linux. I used to have constant attacks, and was worried
somebody would eventually get lucky, until I put in denyhosts.
When any particular IP address tries to log in on any service or
username 5 times within an hour with a wrong password on invalid
username, that IP source address is locked out for 2 weeks by
putting it in the /etc/hosts.deny list. Boom - no more
thousands of failed login attempts! I haven't had a bit more
trouble since adding that to Linux. They still try, but with
only 5 attempts every 2 weeks, they just go elsewhere.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

What a heap of trouble. Get a Mac!

Or Linux. I used to have constant attacks, and was worried
somebody would eventually get lucky, until I put in denyhosts.
When any particular IP address tries to log in on any service or
username 5 times within an hour with a wrong password on invalid
username, that IP source address is locked out for 2 weeks by
putting it in the /etc/hosts.deny list. Boom - no more
thousands of failed login attempts! I haven't had a bit more
trouble since adding that to Linux. They still try, but with
only 5 attempts every 2 weeks, they just go elsewhere.

I like it. Actually, one can do this on a Mac (because BSD UNIX lurks
below the pretty face), though I've never been motivated to do it.

But I suspect that they are not getting discouraged, as the attack is
automated. Human involvement is remote.

Joe Gwinn