Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New eBay fishing/scamming approach in the works

On Oct 9, 10:43 am, Ignoramus3694
On 2007-10-09, Up North wrote:

"Ignoramus3694" wrote in message
m...
eBay recently implemented some changes aimed to thwart Romanian second
chance offer scammers. (The last scammer that I conversed with 6
months ago, was from Belotesti in Ilfov county, Romania, hence my
reference to that country)

After the eBay changes, they assumed a new mode of operation. They do
the following:

1) Grab whatever bidder userids they can find from Bid History
pages. Let's say that they grab username 'joeblow'.

2) They then email fake second chance offers to ,
(and possibly to other places).

This happened to me with my userid at eBay. My gmail and yahoo
addresses were spammed by those scammers, even though my eBay
account's username is registered for different domains than those free
ones.

Just last week I had someone list a Honda motorcycle under my username. I
check my listings several times a day and happened to catch the fake listing
within an hour after it happened. I contacted eBay through their live chat
and got it cancelled in ten minutes or so. I changed my password again for
the 4th or 5th time this year.
Steve

Do you know how they got a hold of your account info? (echoing another
poster's question) You probably need to do something drastic to your
computer.

i- Hide quoted text -

It has been mentioned that Ebay has had personal info stolen...I
believe it.

Changing your passwords on a regular basis is a very good idea.

Having Paypal passwords different than any Ebay password is another
good idea.

Using a Paypal only bank account/credit card is another good idea.

The point is that any user should implement a series of barriers so
any thief can only get so far...consider it similar to using a series
of different locks with different keys that a thief would have to deal
with before getting to the valuables.

I would also strongly suggest setting up your bank accounts so no one
can access them by computer...debit cards included.

Many banks are issuing a combination credit/debit card...a very, very
bad idea for the customer.

TMT