Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default New eBay fishing/scamming approach in the works

In article lDNOi.1699$d2.1344@trnddc08,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Just last week I had someone list a Honda motorcycle under my username. I
check my listings several times a day and happened to catch the fake
listing
within an hour after it happened. I contacted eBay through their live
chat
and got it cancelled in ten minutes or so. I changed my password again
for
the 4th or 5th time this year.
Steve

Do you know how they got a hold of your account info? (echoing another
poster's question) You probably need to do something drastic to your
computer.

Agreed! If running windows, run some of the following:

Are you running an anti-virus software package? If not, quickly go here and
get the free AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/help/us/

My thoughts on Norton? ...cursing isn't condoned so I'll skip 'em here.
Use the "Norton Remover" (Google it) when upgrading to any competent
anti-virus package.

AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
(May have to shut down anti-virus when running - disconnect internet
connection first and it's not a problem or risk)

Windows Scan: http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
(They have a Vista version too somewhere)

The PandaScan thing:
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...s/activescan/?

Then if you are brave, find a copy of "HijackThis" and use it to clear out
your start-up processes as well: http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

If you are REALLY brave, open your config files and do the same... But I
won't even tell you how to do that it's so risky with no skills, etc.

There are dozens of spyware removers on the net and probably as many on-line
virus scanners... The ones above are tried and tested by *me* so they're
worth the price you paid for admission only or more if you are lucky.

What a heap of trouble. Get a Mac!

Joe Gwinn