Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of AA batteries....

I have been using these import Tenergy AA Nimh cells:
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Pcs-AA-2600mA...QQcmdZViewItem
for about a year. I use my Mini-Mag lights *alot* and typically
recharge a set or 2 every day. These have performed very well. I use an
8 bay timed charger, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Channel-Volume...QQcmdZViewItem
AllBattery is a great store, have lots of stuff, and no problems with
ordering. They pooched one order a while ago, and corrected it by
refunding $10. immediately to my PayPal, which was actually more than
the error amounted to. Great guys, no affiliation. Just happy customer.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR North wrote:
I have been using these import Tenergy AA Nimh cells:
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Pcs-AA-2600mA...QQcmdZViewItem

for about a year. I use my Mini-Mag lights *alot* and typically
recharge a set or 2 every day. These have performed very well. I use an
8 bay timed charger, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Channel-Volume...QQcmdZViewItem

AllBattery is a great store, have lots of stuff, and no problems with
ordering. They pooched one order a while ago, and corrected it by
refunding $10. immediately to my PayPal, which was actually more than
the error amounted to. Great guys, no affiliation. Just happy customer.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I am using the same brand (2600mAh) in my Fuji S5200 digital camera.

I got 16 AA NiMH cells with an 8 cell charger, model V-868, off ebuy for
about $30, IIRC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought numerous sets of 2k mAh AAs that came with 4 C adapters and 4 D
adapters, and several chargers that do a good job of limiting the charging
current.

The nimh cells will self-dischage in about 2 months, but for applications
where you'll be swapping used cells into the charger, and taking fresh cells
out, they've been great substitutes for many uses.
I do use some alkalines for certain instruments, and I can get 20 AAs for $5
anytime.

Alkalines don't work worth a crap in my camera, and the nimh cells work
exceptionally well for that application.

I still use alkalines in some flashlights so that they'll always be ready if
needed.

Using the Nite-Ize LED conversion kits in mini-mag type flashlights and
others, gives nearly an equivalent amount of light while hardly even
discharging the batteries.

The LED version of the PR2 incandescent lamp was disappointing.. barely even
a useable amount of light.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
I have been using these import Tenergy AA Nimh cells:
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Pcs-AA-2600mA...QQcmdZViewItem
for about a year. I use my Mini-Mag lights *alot* and typically recharge
a set or 2 every day. These have performed very well. I use an 8 bay timed
charger, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Channel-Volume...QQcmdZViewItem
AllBattery is a great store, have lots of stuff, and no problems with
ordering. They pooched one order a while ago, and corrected it by
refunding $10. immediately to my PayPal, which was actually more than the
error amounted to. Great guys, no affiliation. Just happy customer.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
.. .
snip-

Using the Nite-Ize LED conversion kits in mini-mag type flashlights and
others, gives nearly an equivalent amount of light while hardly even
discharging the batteries.

How would I go about buying a couple of them?

I've never seen them, but then I don't get out much! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:24:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
. ..
snip-

Using the Nite-Ize LED conversion kits in mini-mag type flashlights and
others, gives nearly an equivalent amount of light while hardly even
discharging the batteries.

How would I go about buying a couple of them?

I've never seen them, but then I don't get out much! :-)

Ya gotskta Google it, 'Arry.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ze_mag3led.htm $

http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=28 $$$
Just put earmuffs on before you open that Scotch wallet of yours for
this little 1-watt Luxeon upgrade. This won't get the 11 hours the
3led job will give you, though.

So, do you want this super-light- intensity or a better light with
longer hours? If and when the incandescent bulb goes in my 2AA
Mini-Mag, I'll go with the 3led upgrade. I have a tactical for the
blinding super-light. I used that last night in an attempt to find the
refugee Cicada in my dining room at 10pm. yawn

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:24:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

snip-

Didn't need Google------someone posted a link! :-)

http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=28 $$$
Just put earmuffs on before you open that Scotch wallet of yours for
this little 1-watt Luxeon upgrade. This won't get the 11 hours the
3led job will give you, though.

I'm afraid, from your description, this old dude, living on SS, won't be
popping for one of the 1 watt units. I just need something reliable for
getting back and forth between the shop and the house I'm building. I work
after dark, and there's no lights wired yet. A guy could get hurt! :-)

I got real tired of replacing the bulbs in those damned mini-mags, and I'm
used to the reduced light they emit-----I kept tired batteries in mine to
prolong bulb life. Besides, I like the color of light from those LED's.

So, do you want this super-light- intensity or a better light with
longer hours? If and when the incandescent bulb goes in my 2AA
Mini-Mag, I'll go with the 3led upgrade. I have a tactical for the
blinding super-light. I used that last night in an attempt to find the
refugee Cicada in my dining room at 10pm. yawn

Cicada? Not a katydid? I like those guys----sort of cool!

How was your summer? Both days of ours were nice. Coolest summer I've
seen in my 11 years here.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:17:18 GMT, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

How would I go about buying a couple of them?

I've never seen them, but then I don't get out much! :-)

Ya gotskta Google it, 'Arry.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ze_mag3led.htm $

Didn't need Google------someone posted a link! :-)

http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=28 $$$
Just put earmuffs on before you open that Scotch wallet of yours for
this little 1-watt Luxeon upgrade. This won't get the 11 hours the
3led job will give you, though.

I'm afraid, from your description, this old dude, living on SS, won't be
popping for one of the 1 watt units. I just need something reliable for
getting back and forth between the shop and the house I'm building. I work
after dark, and there's no lights wired yet. A guy could get hurt! :-)

There are 1-watt led units available locally for under $10. I don't know
who makes the led, or if it is really 1-watt, or what the lumen rating is,
but they are BRIGHT, good construction (anodised aluminium), and run fine
on three AAA rechargeables.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:17:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:24:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

I've never seen them, but then I don't get out much! :-)

Ya gotskta Google it, 'Arry.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ze_mag3led.htm $

Didn't need Google------someone posted a link! :-)

Yeah, ya lazy old bastid.

http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=28 $$$
Just put earmuffs on before you open that Scotch wallet of yours for
this little 1-watt Luxeon upgrade. This won't get the 11 hours the
3led job will give you, though.

I'm afraid, from your description, this old dude, living on SS, won't be
popping for one of the 1 watt units. I just need something reliable for
getting back and forth between the shop and the house I'm building. I work
after dark, and there's no lights wired yet. A guy could get hurt! :-)

I got real tired of replacing the bulbs in those damned mini-mags, and I'm
used to the reduced light they emit-----I kept tired batteries in mine to
prolong bulb life. Besides, I like the color of light from those LED's.

I've never had one die, though I don't use mine much. My 2AA mini-mag
has been in my truck for nearly its lifetime, and that's a 1990 F-150.
I got my single AAA mini-mag from Southcom in 1977 and it's still
kicking, too. It has lived in various backpack, bounced heavily and
dropped 15' on occasion, with nothing but a battery change every
decade or so. I hadn't really thought of the lifetime flashlights
have, but they sure are durable. I've replaced $1 flashlight bulbs and
a couple of Kryptons, but never a mini-mag type.

So, do you want this super-light- intensity or a better light with
longer hours? If and when the incandescent bulb goes in my 2AA
Mini-Mag, I'll go with the 3led upgrade. I have a tactical for the
blinding super-light. I used that last night in an attempt to find the
refugee Cicada in my dining room at 10pm. yawn

Cicada? Not a katydid? I like those guys----sort of cool!

Good question. Its long, ear-piercing sound made my normal tinnitus
pale in comparison, like a giant cricket on steroids. No, it wasn't a
katydid. The sound was like a cricket chirp (but long, steady, and
drawn out) for about 2 minutes at a time. 'Twas like a kid sitting
there with a sig gen on 4kHz with an amp and a speaker. Arrrgh!

I brought my ladder back into the shop yesterday and heard the damned
thing again last night, so I went out and flipped the thing over. I
wish I'd photographed it before squishing it but I didn't want to
chance it getting away into an even harder-to-find place. It was about
an inch long, green, with .25x.625 transparent wings. The tiny face
reminded me of a praying mantis.

How was your summer? Both days of ours were nice. Coolest summer I've
seen in my 11 years here.

We had a lovely summer, 20% cooler than most and really nice for all 4
months. /neener We only had a couple or 3 weeks of 90+ temps, and
those were only for a week at a time instead of all summer long.

Now I want a mellow and warm winter. Where's that ferocious old Global
Warming (kumbaya) when you need it, huh?

with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The scuttlebutt has it that low voltage/weak batteries actually causes
early failure of the MiniMag lamps. I have no cites.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I got real tired of replacing the bulbs in those damned mini-mags, and I'm
used to the reduced light they emit-----I kept tired batteries in mine to
prolong bulb life. Besides, I like the color of light from those LED's.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to _ :
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:17:18 GMT, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

I'm afraid, from your description, this old dude, living on SS, won't be
popping for one of the 1 watt units. I just need something reliable for
getting back and forth between the shop and the house I'm building. I work
after dark, and there's no lights wired yet. A guy could get hurt! :-)

There are 1-watt led units available locally for under $10. I don't know
who makes the led, or if it is really 1-watt, or what the lumen rating is,
but they are BRIGHT, good construction (anodised aluminium), and run fine
on three AAA rechargeables.

Which makes it unsuitable for the Mini Maglite conversion, since
those only have room for two AA cells.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:24:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
m...
snip-

[...]

And one of the hottest and driest of the 55 I've spent here (in
southern Ontario) Went over 30C again this week - THE END OF
SEPTEMBER!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
snip------

And one of the hottest and driest of the 55 I've spent here (in
southern Ontario) Went over 30C again this week - THE END OF
SEPTEMBER!!!

Heh! We had numerous days in the mid 60's all through what should have been
"summer". We had three days in the mid to high 90's mid July, then it
cooled down and never really warmed back up to normal again. It's been an
interesting year!

Snow level is reputed to be moving down to around the 3,500' mark in the
next day. Summer, for us, such as it was, is over. sigh!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:44:29 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

If true to form for this year it will be 32C one day and we'll have 4
feet of snow the next. (we can only dream - 4 feet of snow all winter
might be a pipe dream with the drought we've experienced this past
summer) Used to be we'd get 4 feet of snow, a january thaw with 4
inches of rain, and another 4 feet of snow. Hasn't happened that way
for over 10 years here in Kitchener Waterloo.
Two years ago we got snowed in at a friend's cottage for a few days,
with no electricity or phone after almost 3 feet dropped overnight -
wet and heavy, and thankfully NO WIND. That was about 2 hours north,
at the base of the Bruce peninsula (Wiarton).

The water levels in the Grand River Watershed are at an altime low at
the moment. Less than half the normal rainfall since January (and most
of that in a wet spring).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If true to form for this year it will be 32C one day and we'll have 4
feet of snow the next. (we can only dream - 4 feet of snow all winter
might be a pipe dream with the drought we've experienced this past
summer) Used to be we'd get 4 feet of snow, a january thaw with 4
inches of rain, and another 4 feet of snow. Hasn't happened that way
for over 10 years here in Kitchener Waterloo.
Two years ago we got snowed in at a friend's cottage for a few days,
with no electricity or phone after almost 3 feet dropped overnight -
wet and heavy, and thankfully NO WIND. That was about 2 hours north,
at the base of the Bruce peninsula (Wiarton).

The water levels in the Grand River Watershed are at an altime low at
the moment. Less than half the normal rainfall since January (and most
of that in a wet spring).

There's considerable debate about global warming, but one thing is sure.
Things are no longer as they once were, regardless of the reason.

We shouldn't be surprised. The earth has always been in the state of
change----

Luck with the upcoming wet season. Sounds like you folks could really use
the water!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
.. .
snip---

Using the Nite-Ize LED conversion kits in mini-mag type flashlights and
others, gives nearly an equivalent amount of light while hardly even
discharging the batteries.

I can attest, due to the kindness of one of the readers of the group, that
the Nite-Ize conversion kit is worthy of your attention. I received one
in the mail today----a gift from the generosity of the individual involved.

Great bunch of guys here, eh?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:20:04 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

[...]

The Maglight LED that fits where a PR2 goes is excellent --
considerably brighter than the PR2 incandescant bulb. It uses a
3-watt Luxeon and has integral regulator electronics, so brightness is
constant throughout battery life. Battery life is not much better
than with a PR2, but if ya need reliable light it does the job.