Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Speaking of AA batteries....

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:20:04 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I bought numerous sets of 2k mAh AAs that came with 4 C adapters and 4 D
adapters, and several chargers that do a good job of limiting the charging
current.

The nimh cells will self-dischage in about 2 months, but for applications
where you'll be swapping used cells into the charger, and taking fresh cells
out, they've been great substitutes for many uses.
I do use some alkalines for certain instruments, and I can get 20 AAs for $5
anytime.

Alkalines don't work worth a crap in my camera, and the nimh cells work
exceptionally well for that application.

I still use alkalines in some flashlights so that they'll always be ready if
needed.

Using the Nite-Ize LED conversion kits in mini-mag type flashlights and
others, gives nearly an equivalent amount of light while hardly even
discharging the batteries.

The LED version of the PR2 incandescent lamp was disappointing.. barely even
a useable amount of light.

The Maglight LED that fits where a PR2 goes is excellent --
considerably brighter than the PR2 incandescant bulb. It uses a
3-watt Luxeon and has integral regulator electronics, so brightness is
constant throughout battery life. Battery life is not much better
than with a PR2, but if ya need reliable light it does the job.