Old August 25th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rust removal

And one drains lots of water afterwards less drains are messed up.

I remember when the cast iron pipe that ran overhead in the physics department
split open. Seems that for years a slow and ever present drip of acid from
all work stations (chemistry lab) above us ate the bottom of the pipe out.

Replaced it with Quartz that is really protective.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus2733 wrote:
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:08:33 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

There are both lye based as well as sulphuric acid based cleaners.
Your Ace Hardware probably has a bottle of concentrated, 80%, sulfuric
acid, sold as drain cleaner, that you can buy and use as drain
cleaner. It is very serious stuff and works very well. Dissolves human
hair, etc. Such a bottle lives on a shelf in my garage and I can
attest to its efficacy. It converts at least a part of the scum from
drains, into stinky H2S.

Old August 25th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:08:08 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
And one drains lots of water afterwards less drains are messed up.

yes, though it applies less to plastic piping.

I remember when the cast iron pipe that ran overhead in the physics department
split open. Seems that for years a slow and ever present drip of acid from
all work stations (chemistry lab) above us ate the bottom of the pipe out.

Replaced it with Quartz that is really protective.

This 80% stuff is very scary. I am afraid that they may stop selling
it.

Old August 26th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

I have some that is straight H2SO4. Mpst, however is Caustic Soda in
some form.

IIRC some of the drain cleaners used to be lye with flakes of
aluminium included to create a foaming action - didn't help much when
the no slope drain from the kitchen sink in the mobile home was 95%
full of compacted coffee grounds. Much work with the plunger,
particularly on the pull stroke got things moving again.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

rust removal RDT Woodworking 10 August 10th 05 04:43 AM
rust removal Boots Woodworking 17 April 4th 05 05:27 AM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
rust removal nattydreadlocks Metalworking 8 September 10th 04 10:54 AM
Rust removal... Rich Naples Metalworking 1 October 3rd 03 01:26 PM