Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Rust removal

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:49:34 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:08:33 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

I have some that is straight H2SO4. Mpst, however is Caustic Soda in
some form.

IIRC some of the drain cleaners used to be lye with flakes of
aluminium included to create a foaming action - didn't help much when
the no slope drain from the kitchen sink in the mobile home was 95%
full of compacted coffee grounds. Much work with the plunger,
particularly on the pull stroke got things moving again.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada