Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rust removal

http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html
Haven't tried it.
I'm using the ZEP rust remover from Home Depot. It's working well.
Need to find more things to derust and see how long it lasts. Haven't
been able to find any info on it.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html

That's a sweet solution, VBG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 7:06 am, " wrote:
http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html
Haven't tried it.
I'm using the ZEP rust remover from Home Depot. It's working well.
Need to find more things to derust and see how long it lasts. Haven't
been able to find any info on it.
Karl

How interesting. I will certainly give it a try. My wife uses molasses
in breadmaking, so buys it in bulk. Cheaper still that way. Takes a
quart jar to the local health food store and they fill it.

Thanks,
Paul, KD7HB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

Might be that the brand of black strap is containing sulfur - common.
Most state de-sulfurized.

I bet the de version wouldn't work.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Karl Townsend wrote:
http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html

That's a sweet solution, VBG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:08:33 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

There are both lye based as well as sulphuric acid based cleaners.
Your Ace Hardware probably has a bottle of concentrated, 80%, sulfuric
acid, sold as drain cleaner, that you can buy and use as drain
cleaner. It is very serious stuff and works very well. Dissolves human
hair, etc. Such a bottle lives on a shelf in my garage and I can
attest to its efficacy. It converts at least a part of the scum from
drains, into stinky H2S.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This isn't the kiddie stuff in the shopping centers -

This stuff is the real nasty stuff that eats drains if it has to.

Limited use from a plummer section.

It is used to dissolve proteins and fat/grease and melt it by a reactive
hot solution. I keep it out of the shop.

Puts a nice gray surface on scale iron - taking the scale off.

Karl Townsend wrote:
Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

I have some that is straight H2SO4. Mpst, however is Caustic Soda in
some form.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And one drains lots of water afterwards less drains are messed up.

I remember when the cast iron pipe that ran overhead in the physics department
split open. Seems that for years a slow and ever present drip of acid from
all work stations (chemistry lab) above us ate the bottom of the pipe out.

Replaced it with Quartz that is really protective.

Ignoramus2733 wrote:
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:08:33 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

There are both lye based as well as sulphuric acid based cleaners.
Your Ace Hardware probably has a bottle of concentrated, 80%, sulfuric
acid, sold as drain cleaner, that you can buy and use as drain
cleaner. It is very serious stuff and works very well. Dissolves human
hair, etc. Such a bottle lives on a shelf in my garage and I can
attest to its efficacy. It converts at least a part of the scum from
drains, into stinky H2S.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:08:08 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
And one drains lots of water afterwards less drains are messed up.

yes, though it applies less to plastic piping.

I remember when the cast iron pipe that ran overhead in the physics department
split open. Seems that for years a slow and ever present drip of acid from
all work stations (chemistry lab) above us ate the bottom of the pipe out.

Replaced it with Quartz that is really protective.

This 80% stuff is very scary. I am afraid that they may stop selling
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

I have some that is straight H2SO4. Mpst, however is Caustic Soda in
some form.

IIRC some of the drain cleaners used to be lye with flakes of
aluminium included to create a foaming action - didn't help much when
the no slope drain from the kitchen sink in the mobile home was 95%
full of compacted coffee grounds. Much work with the plunger,
particularly on the pull stroke got things moving again.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

rust removal RDT Woodworking 10 August 10th 05 05:43 AM
rust removal Boots Woodworking 17 April 4th 05 06:27 AM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 08:55 PM
rust removal nattydreadlocks Metalworking 8 September 10th 04 11:54 AM
Rust removal... Rich Naples Metalworking 1 October 3rd 03 02:26 PM