Old August 23rd 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rust removal

http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html
Haven't tried it.
I'm using the ZEP rust remover from Home Depot. It's working well.
Need to find more things to derust and see how long it lasts. Haven't
been able to find any info on it.
Karl

Old August 23rd 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html

That's a sweet solution, VBG

Old August 23rd 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 23, 7:06 am, " wrote:
http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/article...06/wp0906.html
Haven't tried it.
I'm using the ZEP rust remover from Home Depot. It's working well.
Need to find more things to derust and see how long it lasts. Haven't
been able to find any info on it.
Karl

How interesting. I will certainly give it a try. My wife uses molasses
in breadmaking, so buys it in bulk. Cheaper still that way. Takes a
quart jar to the local health food store and they fill it.

Thanks,
Paul, KD7HB

Old August 25th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

Might be that the brand of black strap is containing sulfur - common.
Most state de-sulfurized.

I bet the de version wouldn't work.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old August 25th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

Old August 25th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:08:33 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

There are both lye based as well as sulphuric acid based cleaners.
Your Ace Hardware probably has a bottle of concentrated, 80%, sulfuric
acid, sold as drain cleaner, that you can buy and use as drain
cleaner. It is very serious stuff and works very well. Dissolves human
hair, etc. Such a bottle lives on a shelf in my garage and I can
attest to its efficacy. It converts at least a part of the scum from
drains, into stinky H2S.

Old August 25th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This isn't the kiddie stuff in the shopping centers -

This stuff is the real nasty stuff that eats drains if it has to.

Limited use from a plummer section.

It is used to dissolve proteins and fat/grease and melt it by a reactive
hot solution. I keep it out of the shop.

Puts a nice gray surface on scale iron - taking the scale off.

Old August 25th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner -
strong solution of H2So4.

I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong
caustics, not acids

Karl

I have some that is straight H2SO4. Mpst, however is Caustic Soda in
some form.

rust removal RDT Woodworking 10 August 10th 05 04:43 AM
rust removal Boots Woodworking 17 April 4th 05 05:27 AM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
rust removal nattydreadlocks Metalworking 8 September 10th 04 10:54 AM
Rust removal... Rich Naples Metalworking 1 October 3rd 03 01:26 PM