Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old Precision Tools... Help needed!

Hey all,

Found some old precision tools at a Sandwich, MA antique store. I
thought they might be nice for my fathers old tool collection (x-mas
present).

Was hoping someone in this group could give me a rough dating of the
pieces. I reckon it is hard to do just with pictures, but anything
helps... I have pictures he

http://picasaweb.google.com/fredfowler3

The internal divider style caliper is one design I have never seen
before, and really well finished (captive spring and cross plate).
Marked Pat. 1863, but wondering how old the tool really is? Civil war
era seems a bit old???

The inside /outside caliper from Starrett is also one I have never
encountered. Antique shop says it dates from 1896 or so, but I am
somewhat suspect. Still it's a nice piece. Any ideas?

Appreciate any help!

Best,

Fred

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Fred Fowler III wrote:

Was hoping someone in this group could give me a rough dating of the
pieces. I reckon it is hard to do just with pictures, but anything
helps... I have pictures he

Judging just from the look and not from experience:
The dividers 1880 .. 1920
The caliper 1900 .. 1930

But then, hard to say and I might be well off! Manufactures kept a design
for decades, because there is only little to improve.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:45:52 -0400, Fred Fowler III
wrote:

Hey all,

Found some old precision tools at a Sandwich, MA antique store. I
thought they might be nice for my fathers old tool collection (x-mas
present).

Was hoping someone in this group could give me a rough dating of the
pieces. I reckon it is hard to do just with pictures, but anything
helps... I have pictures he

http://picasaweb.google.com/fredfowler3

The internal divider style caliper is one design I have never seen
before, and really well finished (captive spring and cross plate).
Marked Pat. 1863, but wondering how old the tool really is? Civil war
era seems a bit old???

Some musings...

Most patents are only good for a period of 20 years max or
possibly less due to application and grant dates. So there
is no good reason to stamp the patent date on an item if the
patent has long since expired. But I'm sure people have done
so for who knows what reason. The patent on your item
appears to be for the method of adjusting the caliper using
both right and left hand threads and a new type of nut to
take up wear/slop. See:

http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent.php?id=13093

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=39281

One would think that it was made sometime between 1863 and
1883 going on the length of patent logic (shrug).

The inside /outside caliper from Starrett is also one I have never
encountered. Antique shop says it dates from 1896 or so, but I am
somewhat suspect. Still it's a nice piece. Any ideas?

Seeing Starrett is still in business the suggestion to
contact them is worth a try.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Nick Mueller" wrote in message
Fred Fowler III wrote:

Was hoping someone in this group could give me a rough dating of the
pieces. I reckon it is hard to do just with pictures, but anything
helps... I have pictures he

Judging just from the look and not from experience:
The dividers 1880 .. 1920
The caliper 1900 .. 1930

But then, hard to say and I might be well off! Manufactures kept a design
for decades, because there is only little to improve.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

Manufacturers do indeed make the same tool for decades, even generations! I
have some watchmakers, and jewellers tools that were sold new in 1895. The
same firms were still making identical tools, right down to the markings in
1980, when I shut down the shop. I am the third owner of the tools!

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:26:34 -0400, Leon Fisk
scribed:

wrote:

[...]

Hey all, thanks for the responses!

Leon, how you found that patent on the caliper/divider I dinna know...
I tried every which way till Sunday to search for it with no luck. I
am well humbled ;-) Bookmarked that Datamp site too... Great!!!

Considering the state of above said instrument, I reckon it to be
around the turn of the century, or if it is older, then someone did a
hell of a job restoring it. Works perfect.

The Starrett issue is easily resolved as was mentioned. I will email a
picture over to their technical department and see what I get. Could
be interesting to see what I find, all things considered, competition
& such.

Thanks again for eveyones help!

Fred
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:20:47 -0400, Fred Fowler III
wrote:

snip
Leon, how you found that patent on the caliper/divider I dinna know...
I tried every which way till Sunday to search for it with no luck. I
am well humbled ;-) Bookmarked that Datamp site too... Great!!!

It is just a worthless bit of ability I have, stubbornness
and more enjoyable than say mowing the lawn.

Considering the state of above said instrument, I reckon it to be
around the turn of the century, or if it is older, then someone did a
hell of a job restoring it. Works perfect.

The Starrett issue is easily resolved as was mentioned. I will email a
picture over to their technical department and see what I get. Could
be interesting to see what I find, all things considered, competition
& such.

If you hear back from Starrett I would be interested in what
they have to say about it. Shoot me an email if you don't
want to answer here. If I find out anything else about the
Starrett item I'll let you know too.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Precision John Grossbohlin Woodworking 9 March 24th 06 01:54 PM
pallet jack repair - parts avail? special tools needed? dave Metalworking 12 October 27th 05 10:24 AM
Info on tools, plans and supplier needed [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 18th 04 11:08 PM
ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS [email protected] Woodturning 20 September 23rd 03 06:52 AM