Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88 woodworker88 is offline

Default Old Precision Tools... Help needed!

For the Starrett one, you could try asking Starrett themself. If you
emailed them the picture, they could probably tell you roughly when it
was in production.

On Aug 22, 7:45 am, Fred Fowler III wrote:
Hey all,

Found some old precision tools at a Sandwich, MA antique store. I
thought they might be nice for my fathers old tool collection (x-mas
present).

Was hoping someone in this group could give me a rough dating of the
pieces. I reckon it is hard to do just with pictures, but anything
helps... I have pictures he

http://picasaweb.google.com/fredfowler3

The internal divider style caliper is one design I have never seen
before, and really well finished (captive spring and cross plate).
Marked Pat. 1863, but wondering how old the tool really is? Civil war
era seems a bit old???

The inside /outside caliper from Starrett is also one I have never
encountered. Antique shop says it dates from 1896 or so, but I am
somewhat suspect. Still it's a nice piece. Any ideas?

Appreciate any help!

Best,

Fred