dave

Default pallet jack repair - parts avail? special tools needed?

resources are tight, but I need a pallet jack. contemplating buying used
non-working & repaiir it. two are offered:

one at $50 "not used it for about 3 years now. Went to pump it up and
the side plunger is stuck"

and one at $40: "jack part needs service, as I haven't used it for
several years"

unclear at this point what their brand names and model numbers are.
inferences are the lower one can be delivered to me free. add'l info
from sellers 'pending'. I've rebuilt numerous master and wheel
cylinders, and have hones all sizes for engine block and brake
cylinders, but've I've never done any hydraulic repairs...

got a few 'broad general' questions:

are hydraulic (rubber) parts available =by-dimension=? eg what for brake
cylinder repair jobs would be called "cups"? and are any "specialty
tools" needed to dismantle the cylinders?

are there any 'sources' for pallet jack common repair parts that're
"better than others"? mostly the 'cylinder rubbers', but maybe wheels?

thanks much for tips,

toolie
Tom Gardner

"dave" wrote in message
resources are tight, but I need a pallet jack. contemplating buying used
non-working & repaiir it. two are offered:

-snip-

I've been here a few times. It has been proven to me numerous times that it
is cheaper to get a new one. The last time, one of the guys found a used
one needing repair for $50. He priced out the needed parts and figured the
number of hours to repair it and it was a wash...except the new one had a
warrantee and he could be doing something to make money rather than
repairing the jack. Unless you do it as a hobby or you're on a bunny hunt,
get a new one and do what you do best. Look on the web for a deal.

mj

Dave,
Global Industries has these jacks for $189.00 (after a $50.00 rebate
which I hate dealing with). I work at a military maintenance shop full
time and anytime one of these come in for repair we just wash it out.
Finding the parts can be a hassle and sometimes the cost is more than
the jack is worth anyway.

You will easily have over $100 in this by the time you are done
repairing it (if it is repairable).

Here is the link to Global's site:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...Key =30019882

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, I would check them out too.
That would save shipping.

Mike

Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus5533 wrote:
I would not mess with getting broken pallet jacks and repairing
them. Just not worth the time. You can get a working one for $140.

If, contrary to my advice, you decide to acquire a broken pallet jack,
do not pay more than $5.

But do bear in mind that pallet jacks aren't all born equal. Some will
prove rugged and durable and others will fall to bits if you use them a
lot. If you find a good quality jack with a simple fault, you could be
on to a winner. But it's a project for someone with an abundance of time
and ingenuity and little money. Ask around and you might get a broken
jack free.

Chris

Gunner Asch

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:54:20 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Ignoramus5533 wrote:
I would not mess with getting broken pallet jacks and repairing
them. Just not worth the time. You can get a working one for $140.

If, contrary to my advice, you decide to acquire a broken pallet jack,
do not pay more than $5.

But do bear in mind that pallet jacks aren't all born equal. Some will
prove rugged and durable and others will fall to bits if you use them a
lot. If you find a good quality jack with a simple fault, you could be
on to a winner. But it's a project for someone with an abundance of time
and ingenuity and little money. Ask around and you might get a broken
jack free.

Chris

I got my pallet jack by using forklift to hoist it out of the
dumpster I found it in. Rear wheel was broken in half. I simply
machined a new one out of an aluminum round, put in a bronze bushing
and a grease zerk. Cost of the materials was nothing..stuff I had on
hand. My time...time spent on machining and building...hobby time..is
free (to me). It was an intersting project, so I call it a
win-win..for me.

Your mileage may vary

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

James Waldby

Ignoramus5533 wrote:
I would not mess with getting broken pallet jacks and repairing
them. Just not worth the time. You can get a working one for $140.

If, contrary to my advice, you decide to acquire a broken pallet jack,
do not pay more than $5.

I think it depends a little on how broken it is; one
that I bought for $25 needed only a 10-32 nut, to fix
the link to the pressure release.

I needed a pallet jack while unloading a truck into a
storeroom, and looked at renting one but couldn't find
a good price (ie, they wanted forklift rental rates
for the pallet jack) so went and talked to the manager
at a local grocery store. He had a dozen slightly-
broken, heavily-used pallet jacks back of the store,
and sold me my pick of them for $25 each.

-jiw
Keith Marshall

are there any 'sources' for pallet jack common repair parts that're
"better than others"? mostly the 'cylinder rubbers', but maybe wheels?

I picked one up for $5 a couple of years ago but haven't gotten around to
repairing it yet. I did find a source for repair kits though:

http://www.blackhawkparts.com/generic38.html

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

~Roy

I have pulled maybe 4 or 5 out of Wally Worlds dumpsters in the last
year or so.......all any of them needed was axles on the front
rollers.....easy fix....no money out of my pocket just time, and I can
sell em for $75 fairly easy.

"The original frugal ponder"
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:09:38 GMT, ~Roy wrote:
I have pulled maybe 4 or 5 out of Wally Worlds dumpsters in the last
year or so.......all any of them needed was axles on the front
rollers.....easy fix....no money out of my pocket just time, and I can
sell em for $75 fairly easy.

You anywhere near Milwaukee, Roy? I wouldn't mind having a pallet jack
(Iggy, you got one?)

Dave Hinz

Rex B

A pallet jack can be stored under a small lathe, making the latter portable.

And you can't have too much "stuff", but you can have too little
shop/storage space!

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Ignoramus21085 wrote:
On 25 Oct 2005 14:28:17 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:09:38 GMT, ~Roy wrote:

I have pulled maybe 4 or 5 out of Wally Worlds dumpsters in the last
year or so.......all any of them needed was axles on the front
rollers.....easy fix....no money out of my pocket just time, and I can
sell em for $75 fairly easy.

You anywhere near Milwaukee, Roy? I wouldn't mind having a pallet jack
(Iggy, you got one?)

No, I have no space for a pallet jack. I am trying to get rid of Stuff
now rather than get more Stuff. I am actually ****ed (as my wife is,
as well) that I use up so much of the garage space for various crap. I
need to sell stuff.

For handling palletized stuff, I use other MH equipment such as crane
and hoist. I have various rollers that can also help move stuff in a
pinch.

Did I forget to say that I am ****ed off by lack of usable space?

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:41:31 GMT, Ignoramus21085 wrote:
On 25 Oct 2005 14:28:17 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

You anywhere near Milwaukee, Roy? I wouldn't mind having a pallet jack
(Iggy, you got one?)

No, I have no space for a pallet jack. I am trying to get rid of Stuff
now rather than get more Stuff.

Yeah, I know, that's why I was hoping you had one.

I am actually ****ed (as my wife is,
as well) that I use up so much of the garage space for various crap. I
need to sell stuff.

I'm filling a bin right now, and one of these days I'm gonna have an
ebay-listing-orgy of activity.

For handling palletized stuff, I use other MH equipment such as crane
and hoist. I have various rollers that can also help move stuff in a
pinch.

Did I forget to say that I am ****ed off by lack of usable space?

Couple times, yes. Understood completely. Stuff expands to exceed the
space available. Iggy's Law, I think, isn't it?

Dave Hinz
Gunner Asch

wrote:

[...]

Oh oh...his obsession has mutated....

Which is pretty much typical of our breed.

Chuckle...sigh...cringe

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Peter Wiley

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. That's why I have a container full of tools at work while I get
ready to build a 16.2m by 13.2m workshop. Hopefully it won't fill up
before I run out of interest, but the flip side is I'd finally have
space for a big planer, and I know where there is one sitting....

PDW