Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default toggle nut/speed nut

I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it slides
off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check this out.

http://www.sliponlocknut.com/

Bruce

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:51:46 GMT, "Randy Zimmerman"
wrote:

I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it slides
off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)

Carr-Lane makes knobs like that up to 1/2-13.

Northwestern has 5/8-11 inserts.
http://www.northwesterntools.com/insrt_qck.html

I thought I've seen hex nuts as well, but can't find them now. Both
Carr-Lane and Northwestern call the feature "quick-acting".

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 18, 1:51 pm, "Randy Zimmerman" wrote:
I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it slides
off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)
Randy

It looks as if one could make a fixture to hold coupling nuts at the
right angle and run a 5/8 end mill thru them. Maybe just an angle
vise with a stop to locate the nut under the spindle. and then run
the right Ohio Brush thru to remove the burrs.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 09:36:03 -0400, "BJ" wrote:

Check this out.

http://www.sliponlocknut.com/

Bruce

See Lee valley - Extra Speed Nuts, set of 4
05F01.03

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...62&cat=1,43293
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks everyone. I even found a drawing of one in an old text so I am off
and running.
Randy

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote in message
I am looking for a listing or description on a quick way to clamp down
material using tee nuts and threaded rods. I need a quick way to take up
slack.
I have seen pictures years ago but don't know what they are called. They
are like a coupling nut with the upper half having thread on half the
diameter then on the lower part there are threads on the opposite side of
the inside diameter. When loosened one can tip the nut over and it
slides off the threaded rod.
Anyone made them or... know a source?? ( 5/8 UNC)
Randy

Dewalt DW423 - Bypass Speed Control - Convert to Single Speed baumgrenze Woodworking 9 March 23rd 21 10:51 PM
Toggle Clamps stoutman Woodworking 13 April 6th 06 02:44 AM
Locking toggle fasteners - where to buy? [email protected] UK diy 6 October 26th 05 06:29 PM
Can you believe toggle switch rating? Alex Metalworking 3 September 13th 05 01:37 AM
$19.02 for a toggle switch! [email protected] Home Repair 27 August 31st 05 12:16 AM